Hash, Inc. Forums

Ideas for the Next Community Project

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Since we have forum projects fresh on our mind maybe we could brainstorm here on what form the next one might take.

What's been suggested so far...

1) Next Room. A character walks in to a room, does something and then either he or some other character exits to the other side. Then the camera shifts to pick up what happens in the next room. (I'm not real keen on this one anymore)

2) Rear Window. Peering into rooms in a hi-rise office or apartment complex.

Things we've done before:

1) Ani-Jam. We had some limited success with

where you pick up exactly with whatever the last animator did, but many people found this difficult.

2) Pass the ball. I think we've done this twice before.

Other ideas I've had:

1) Commercial block. Everyone makes a 10 second commercial. ( or 5? Or 15?)

2) Who dunnit? I've been watching mysteries lately and they're all basically a bunch of seemingly unconnected events until they get wrapped up at the end. Is there a way to make a collaborative pot-luck project out of that without prescripting it too much?

3) Previously... on "Dynasty". Everyone does a scene that is like a recap of what happened last week on a soap opera.

4) Olympic event. Everyone's character does the same event, like the shotput, or high dive or...

Other ideas? Fire away!

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All great ideas...

Love the commercial block idea.

It made me picture a tv screen while someone is channel surfing.

They wouldn't even all have to be commercials. It could be a short snip it of almost anything.

It would almost be the same with the rear window idea.

Actually, the channel surfing idea could work quite well. Intro with Thom sitting on the couch flipping channels, zoom in on the screen, 15-30 second clip of commercial, parody, whatever really; kscchh (staic), next clip!

the commercial thing would be fun if we did it like a Firesign Theatre bit where we change channels in the middle of a word or sentence, just a series of non-sequiturs. Silly products, "dont try this at home", etc. Grab audio from a real commercial and make the visuals about something else.

"An unattached Grid 5 stand-up reheater with smoked window! A complete broken set of color bars for Mrs. P's new home! And NOW, 300 full pounds of Chef Antoine's Southern Fried Glimps, toasted to gold perfection, cubed, reheated and returned to water before you're ready, Mrs. P!"

Oops, ahem sorry about that. Minor attack of brain-channel surfing.

There's some appeal to all of the ideas. I think the "Rear Window" one would provide a very neat (albeit more difficult) transition between shots as you back up and go up and into another window. (It could be night and you can see looped bits in all of the lighted windows.)

The "Who-Dunnit" could be "Who Killed Thom?" and be a series of shots of Thom "apparently" being killed in different ways only to have him appear in the end, bandaged on crutches but still alive ...until a gun and hand appear from the camera's POV and shoots and it turns out the viewer is the one who killed Thom. "It was YOU! YOU killed Thom!"

How about a channel surfing collection of clips (from our own individual projects) that serves as a 'commercial' for A:M.

Oooh. Mascot-Man has a good one... quick...easy (we all have some great clips in our back pockets) I like that Will.

• Hash Fellow
There's some appeal to all of the ideas. I think the "Rear Window" one would provide a very neat (albeit more difficult) transition between shots as you back up and go up and into another window. (It could be night and you can see looped bits in all of the lighted windows.)

You wouldn't even have to back out, just pan.

The "Who-Dunnit" could be "Who Killed Thom?" and be a series of shots of Thom "apparently" being killed in different ways only to have him appear in the end, bandaged on crutches but still alive ...until a gun and hand appear from the camera's POV and shoots and it turns out the viewer is the one who killed Thom. "It was YOU! YOU killed Thom!"

Lets see here...

The first part of the mystery form is a series of scenes where everyone has a reason to hate one particular character. That much would be easy to do.

Then the character shows up dead.

For the rest of the film people explain why they couldn't have been the murderer , but clues also come to light to cast doubt on their alibis.

Finally the detective puts it all together and identifies the real killer.

How about something like the current open-only-to-UK-resident's BBC's search for free content: "Funny in 15" - you get exactly 15 (no more, no less) seconds to make us laugh.

Suddenly my funny bone just went blank.

15 seconds to kill Thom or character of your choice in a funny way?

• Hash Fellow
Is anybody good at writing a short story that everyone could have a chance to work on to make a 15 minute movie? Kinda "TWO" scaled down. Just curious....

TWO started out as a 22 minute project. I'm just warning ya...

As I said ... the Olympic events would be great to practice all principles' animation....

I already did it 7 years ( !!!!) ago .... Mr. Ball Death but in 25 seconds :P

As I said ... the Olympic events would be great to practice all principles' animation....
I think that would work quite well, too.

I already did it 7 years ( !!!!) ago .... Mr. Ball Death but in 25 seconds :P
Wow, was it that long ago?

• Admin
Is anybody good at writing a short story that everyone could have a chance to work on to make a 15 minute movie? Kinda "TWO" scaled down. Just curious....

The Boy and/or Girl.

The Plot.

The Villain Vanquished.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :)

Even in that short story there can be found quite a few variations on themes that would set the stage for a fifteen minute movie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do like the idea of keeping a focus on animation and storytelling.

Perhaps we could break our ideas down into a Storyboard/Animatic/Pitch Project for a subsequent Project:

The following are not fully framed definitions but general ideas:

One panel/Still Frame: (Shot - Establishing Scenario) An image capturing a moment without words [ideas]

Two panels/Spatial Art: (Sequence - Anticipation and Action) A Setup for a viewer determined outcome [Motivations]

Three panels/Comic Strip: (Arcs - Setup/Reactions/Results) The basic elements of a story or plot [Outcomes]

Four panels/Sequential Art: (Acts) The completed story arc [Characters and Personalities]

Five or more panels/Serialization: (Plots) A story with a prologue, epilogue or denouement [Precursors and Consequences]

Whether drawing or rendering computer generated imagery we have a tendency to stop at that first panel.

Note: Because I added "The Plot" into Act 2 that full story above could (theoretically) be told in a minimum of six panels.

• Hash Fellow

additional ideas:

-Waiting room. Camera watches various people waiting for the doctor(?) to see them

-Airport security check.

- Coach class. Camera peers into each row of seats in a jetliner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow
"Bees and Flower"

Different bees coming to the same flower trying to get pollen out.

Everyone makes their own unique Bee.

I suppose it wouldn't have to always be a Bee. All sorts of creatures would have reason to go by a flower... bees, butterfly, worms, mice...

"Bees and Flower"

Different bees coming to the same flower trying to get pollen out.

Everyone makes their own unique Bee.

I suppose it wouldn't have to always be a Bee. All sorts of creatures would have reason to go by a flower... bees, butterfly, worms, mice...

dinosaurs, robots, pigs, trolls, hippos, dancing lions and ragdolls...

Everyday life in a magical garden. Although making different versions of bees has a certain charm (zombie bees, dumbo bees, robot bees, etc etc)

Hey, Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!

What if you have a framing sequence with a tuxedo-clad magician who somehow either puts his hat on the floor, or it is blown off of his head by the wind and then each participant does a character reaching into the hat and pulling whatever out?

• Admin

Adding in more to the mix...

One big continuous Rube Goldberg machine. (Ref: Rube Goldberg Machine)

(Similar to pass the ball but more than a ball is passed)

Basic rules for the over all set would be made and people would select sections to personalize from the main plan.

Examples:

- Entry and exit points (and presumably the item making the transition would be specified for each).

- Smaller projects could be accomplished within the larger context of the machine. Each individual could, in effect, run their own project within the larger project. (Form your own team within the team!)

- The animation wouldn't be confined to a 2D camera plane like in most Rube Goldberg machines (It could even have a stereoscopic version!).

- Personally I see a lot of path animation and perhaps Newton Dynamics (arrows shooting, things crashing and smashing, baloons going up, balls falling down... but also characters passing through scenes and doing something to entertain and progress the action.)

- Current animation could be utilized (on TV screens, or in the background)

- Each 'scene' could be as easy as a beginning middle and end of an action and then placed in the final scene where it makes the most sense within the larger context. (Water pouring out of a bucket would have an established termination point somewhere else... but an arrow might not need a termination point in the original animation as the editor use it wherever necessary) I note most of the simple animations as requiring a minimum of 4 frames with 8 probably optimum.

- Assets could and probably should be shared for greatest effect (both educational and toward the making of a better project).

- Scenes might be rendered with alpha channels so that the final project could be compiled in layers to provide immersive multiplane action. (In this way the animations could also be easily retimed where necessary)

Theme title might be: 'Anything Goes", "Perpetual Animation Machine' etc.

To keep things from spinning into chaos perhaps ideas would be pitched to the team for feedback and green lighting.

(Exercises your pitching skill!)

One of the reasons I'd like to see this type of thing is that each individual animation can be very simple but when compiled together it'd look very complex. It's primary purpose is to get people animating (Pose to Pose and Blocking simple ideas out). The refinement can be discussed and even farmed out.

• Admin
Sounds like a grand plan...I'm in

If that project idea is selected I'll set aside time to devote to it. (It's my understanding that whomever comes up with the idea is the one that has to suffer through the process and is ultimately responsible for it's success keep it on schedule).

If it isn't selected (or is tabled for use later) and you are still interested, it might help to doodle up your ideas on it as they come to you. That way when the time comes you can select the ones that intrigue you the most and perhaps share the rest with those looking for ideas. If the project is never pursued you could always strike out and animate your own machine.

I'm trying to figure out a good way to set this up to where project files, models and actions and image sequences can be shared and integrated.

In that way some resources could be reused over and over again and the learning experience would be further enhanced.

As I see it there could be some personal goals identified with each project beyond 'animate and have fun'. For example a goal might be to work in collaboration with at least two people on the project over the internet. (Perhaps the ones whose machine elements interface with your own) This would expose some A:M Users to processes (and pitfalls!) they've not yet had the opportunity to experience. A literal 'Pass the Ball' versus a figurative one.

Your avatar walks perty durn good with that there music.

I like 'er. :)

Ha, thanks Rodney. Thanks fer pointin' that out.

It wasn't my intention, but yeah I guess it does.

I think a whole bunch of characters

walking to the same beat/music

with different attitudes would be fun.

(By the way, that ball avatar walk is a direct copy

of a test walk that someone did for Mike on Monsters Inc.

I drew it in Flash.)

• 1 month later...
  • Hash Fellow

If no one else steps up to organize the next project I'll declare a topic myself and do the organizing.

But like all my projects it will run long, have the deadline extended several times, then disappear without a trace for months with no explanation and only appear long after you had given up all hope of it ever surfacing.

I'm just warnin' ya...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

Summer is here and we'll definitely want to get this going by September-ish, I think.

I already have a preferred premise that will cause me to take too long to finish my segment, so more brainstorming is still welcome!

• Hash Fellow

The perfect Forum Project:

-interesting enough that people will be drawn to participate

-clear enough that everyone understands what to do

-simple enough that anyone can play

-flexible enough for each person to contribute something unique

-bullet-proof enough that it still works if someone drops out

I like the idea of doing a video of singing. But it sounds like it would be a lot of work for someone to place all the characters and render the final scene with all the characters, plus different versions, plugins, etc. might cause issues.

So here's one alternative. There's the Playing For Change guy who travels all over the world and records different people playing and/or singing the same song, and mixes it all together and does a video that switches between them. We could do something similar. People who would rather not grapple with lip-syncing could show a character playing an instrument or dancing.

Anyway, you can see the Playing For Change video at this link:

-Vance

• Hash Fellow

"Monster Audition"

Everyone makes his or her own monster. It can be ANY kind of monster. Each monster walks on stage, does his audition then walks off.

The stage could be some sort of castle/dungeon looking location.

Perhaps this could be done in time for Halloween.

The only problem I see with this is, participants have to model AND animate. It could take alot longer for them to get ready. I see these community projects as "animation" exercises.

It's a nice idea though.

What if we have a "scary set" (graveyard?) with 1, 2 or 3 monster models available. Then they can animate any model they wish near the graveyard and use the available monsters to scare or what not.

• 2 weeks later...

Always had this idea about a little homeless boy that lives under a bridge. Other neighborhood kids think he is a Troll, they pick on him.

One day after heavy rain he rescues one of the kids from a flood and they see he is not a Troll but another kids like them, just alone.

Toby's Not A Troll

"Monster Audition"

Everyone makes his or her own monster. It can be ANY kind of monster. Each monster walks on stage, does his audition then walks off.

The stage could be some sort of castle/dungeon looking location.

Perhaps this could be done in time for Halloween.

I actually like this one...sort of a Monster's Inc feel to it. I vote for this one..make it official...get the ball, um Monster's rolling, strolling, scaring

I'm on board with the Monster Audition, too. A monster could be a very simple model made out of simple shapes, so I don't think it would be too tough for even the most novice modeler. I like it. It's got my vote, too.

A great idea! The clips could be separated by an offstage voice yelling 'Neeexxxxt!' It shouldn't have to JUST be monsters... ghosts, corpses, spiders, witches. They could come on stage and have to say the words 'Trick or Treat' in an audition scenario... part of the supplied props with the stage could be a long hook- used for pulling someone off the stage...

just spit-ballin ideas.