Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bubba

Sprite Rendering - Slow - in Chor window

I have what I thought was a pretty fast Mac - 8-core 2.66Gh and a Radeon 5770 video card. But when I move the timeline marker, or push the play button in the Rendering Tool Bar the chor/action slows down to a crawl. Normal FPS is in the 40 to 50 FPS, with Sprite rendering turned on it drops to 1.5 FPS. And the movement of the model is very jerky as it moves across the window.

No matter how fast your computer is, it will never be able to keep up with your imagination.

Normal FPS is in the 40 to 50 FPS, with Sprite rendering turned on it drops to 1.5 FPS. And the movement of the model is very jerky as it moves across the window.

What sort of numbers do you get when you load and scrub the sample PRJ Mark put up earlier? I get about 35 fps on my PC.

If I scrub by hand I can generate anywhere between FPSs somewhere above 50. If I push the play arrow in the Frame (Render) tool bar it is in the 60 to 75 range (goes very fast.)

If I scrub by hand I can generate anywhere between FPSs somewhere above 50. If I push the play arrow in the Frame (Render) tool bar it is in the 60 to 75 range (goes very fast.)

That's good. Then, logically, something is very different about your case than the sample. It shouldn't be VERY different since they are both trying to do the same thing, but somehow yours has ended up very different. So, what has changed?

My first guess is that the emission rate is somehow higher in your case than the sample. More particles = slower fps

Or... maybe you have more patches on your emitter than he did?

Something... is very different.

Your best bet is to use the material in the project I posted. Then adjust the size of the sprites and/or the emission rate to suit your model.

I got the smoke2 material with the dim.tga.

Mark - how do you create the action with just three key frames and get A:M to repeat them. You have solid lines then dashes.

Edit: This thing has me beat. I have looked at your example, read the tech reference but I just don't understand it. I will post the project under the Work-in-Progress. If you would take a look at it I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this