Tada again

TheSpleen

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

For a second there I thought the Speaker-Entity was going to transform into a robot with legs, and start fighting off all the army forces.

Maybe that occurs in the sequel?

That's my subtle hint to say... Encore! Please feel free to destroy us all again. :)

• Admin
The band evidently not impressed

Do you have some insider info you aren't sharing with us here Gene!?!

If I was the band I'd certainly be happy with your treatment. :)

My main crit would be the same as I tend to always give you... you are use to me by now... and you get closer with every attempt!

To my way of thinking imperfection here is a very good thing. Dirtying up and obscuring elements of your video (in post of course) helps to push the experience... the sense of being there. Effects like Film Grain and overlays that hint at an atmosphere can chase away the harder edged computer rendered looking images and even make the viewer wonder about how the piece was put together. Imperfection tends to ground far-too-perfect computer imagery into our real world.

A little of this may be related to the cuts from shot to shot but I haven't got much to offer in suggestions there.

My thought is that fading from one scene to the next (adjusting the transparency for each as it fades in/out) might help you transition with more overlapping action and really pay off.

Your sync of music and image beats is really hitting the mark.

• Admin

Out of the blue I was reminded of the classic example (for me) of what post production (and preplanning) can do for computer animation.

Consider the example of the original Star Trek TV series versus Star Wars.

In the original Star Trek series there were obvious cues that suggested to the viewers that the actors were on a stage interacting with props. A scene in a cave might have a perfectly smooth/flat floor with no obvious reason for the difference. Rocks were betrayed as paper mache... especially when someone picked one up and demonstrated there was no weight to them at all. Sets were ultra clean and nothing looked lived in. Everything was perfectly imperfect.

Contrast this to the scenery and props that appeared in Star Wars. Evidence of burn marks near exhaust pipes. Dents and corrosion in metal. Props placed in scenes as if they had been used for an extended period of time. Evidences of unrevealed history and purpose. Sets were lived in, in need of repair and even ancient in some cases. Imperfectly perfect.

This is a subtle difference in the abstract but a very important one.

In both cases reality wasn't the ultimate goal but it's clear George Lucas had observed Star Trek and learned something from the experience.

These imaginary worlds had to appear and (more importantly) 'feel' like real lived in worlds in order for the viewers to suspend their disbelief and get caught up in the moment. Viewers could then be carried away along with the story.

Film grain, blurs, fades, vignettes and other 'additives' strip away some of our sensory cues when viewing the unrealistic perfection that pervades most computer generated worlds. They blend, meld and alter everything just enough to allow us to believe in and accept, if only for the moment, imaginary worlds.

• Hash Fellow

Another fine Spleen-imation!

In the shots of the speakers blasting it would have been cool to have the other props, like the guitars, rattling too.

The band doesn't like it? Oh well.

I went to Youtube to see if they have any other videos already. I'm guessing they're not

In both cases reality wasn't the ultimate goal but it's clear George Lucas had observed Star Trek and learned something from the experience.

..and then forgot about it in the new ones! The ridiculously clean cut look of the cities and costumes in ep 1-3 had me thinking of Star Trek all over again.

But yes, one of the first things I learned in 3D is this: there is no such thing as "mint condition" when you're modeling.

I learned alot and THAT is always the payoff for me.

Did the band give you feedback as to what they didn't like?

I am assuming they are this group

" Finding Reason is a modern/alternative rock music project from Houston TX, created by a small band of musicians on a quest to find some sanity in this world, some meaning to it all, some reason for being."

One thing that jumps out at me is that neither their name, nor the song's name is easily evident. Was this a commissioned piece? Did you have conversations with them with respect to ideas before starting?

Great effects (way too much violence for me in these troubling times). Now, if you had blown up some cute bunnies...

Congrats on getting another one done!