Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Making An Installation Rig

A:M Films

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent Tutorial David! And a much needed one too!

For someone looking for a tut on how to make a squetchy leg, perhaps take the section where you make the squetchy leg and upload that as a separate video named "How to Make A Leg Squash and Stretch" ?

Just an idea.

Thank you for making this tut.

Excellent Tutorial David! And a much needed one too!

For someone looking for a tut on how to make a squetchy leg, perhaps take the section where you make the squetchy leg and upload that as a separate video named "How to Make A Leg Squash and Stretch" ?

Just an idea.

Thank you for making this tut.

I've been meaning to put together a more in-depth tutorial...when I get some time I'll see if I can finish something, Holmes.

Thanks, Dave! You almost make rigging look easy!

If you are developing a rig over time, how would you do it? It seems to me that if you had to make changes to your rig, you'd want to do that pre-addition of the _INSTALL bones, otherwise you'd have to make the same changes to the _INSTALL bones as to your rig's other bones.

Would you maintain a version of your model without the _INSTALL bones, and when you are ready to release a new version, re-create all of the _INSTALL bones? That sounds like a lot of work for a more complicated rig.

Thanks!

If you are developing a rig over time, how would you do it? It seems to me that if you had to make changes to your rig, you'd want to do that pre-addition of the _INSTALL bones, otherwise you'd have to make the same changes to the _INSTALL bones as to your rig's other bones.

Would you maintain a version of your model without the _INSTALL bones, and when you are ready to release a new version, re-create all of the _INSTALL bones? That sounds like a lot of work for a more complicated rig.

What I've been doing is using Squetchy Sam as the working version of the rig and test changes using him. Once I have the changes figured out, I make adjustments to the installation bones that are affected (if it is only something like the hands, then that is all that needs changing, etc) in the installation rig and add the new Poses into the "FINAL_IMPORT" portion of the installation rig (the bones and Poses are broken up into two separate models...once the bones are in place, the "FINAL_IMPORT" model can be imported to add the Poses).

Hope that helps, Chris.