Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Just playing around

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing a terrific job on the lion - great mane, great texture on body coat. The set is excellent as well

Since it appears that you are going for realism - there are a couple of things that instantly jump out at me:

1) the habitat is inconsistent to where lions are found (in africa) - the vegetation is too green, and too reminiscent of rain forest. If you made your vegetation more like that of desert, savannah, it would probably look more realistic. There are some areas that are more lush, green, where lions are found (India - gir forrest), and perhaps in the rainy season in the Masai Mara - but tree vegetation would still be thornyish, probably not have ferns. You could probably just change the colors of your hair vegetation to more sandy, desert colors, and it would be less disturbing.

2) Nails probably wouldn't be extended whilst walking (especially in the back). The coloring of nails would be beat up, dark, with some transparency

3) lion would have battle scars, unless he's a zoo or hollywood type.

If you are not going for realism - then never mind.

The set was from the Lara Croft image, better for the tigers, so it's temporary. :) I was planning on a new set for him. Something similar to the wasteland set I did for TWO.

The lion was modeled with nails out, I'll have to create a new pose to retract them. I haven't really messed with the texturing on the nails.

I'll see what I can do about the battle scars.

Thanks for taking a look.

• Admin

Sweet.

That background (the color and feel of it) fits the Lion perfectly.

It even gives off a sense of increased peril to the viewer because that Lion is likely more than a little hungry given the sparse vegetation there.

He looks pretty well fed, so perhaps we are safe.

Great update.

Oh yeah, much better environment! Nice!

It would be neat to see a herd of zebra lined up, spanning across the entire hill horizon (like Cowboy & Indian movies), onguard, warily watching as Mr. Big Fluffy Wuffy saunters along, probably looking for shade or water.

It even gives off a sense of increased peril to the viewer because that Lion is likely more than a little hungry given the sparse vegetation there.

He looks pretty well fed, so perhaps we are safe.

You are safe if you can see and/or hear the lion(s). It's time to be more cautious if you DON'T see or hear them. They blend into grass extremely well, when crouched or lying down.

Lions will announce their presence from miles away by roaring continuously as they are walking along. It's mighty unnerving when sleeping in a tent (ok, TRY-ing to sleep). Especially when the roaring keeps getting louder and louder.

Oh yeah, much better environment! Nice!

It would be neat to see a herd of zebra lined up, spanning across the entire hill horizon (like Cowboy & Indian movies), onguard, warily watching as Mr. Big Fluffy Wuffy saunters along, probably looking for shade or water.

Thanks Nancy. How about a couple of giraffes and a few trees. :)

I'm not sure if I'm happy with the grass yet though.

lionB0.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Getting rid of the tangent helped. I'd suggets some further rearrangement that gets the horizon at the 1/3 or 2/3 level and perhaps moves the lion out of dead center.

the mane seems a bit dark, is that based on a reference?

Oooo yes giraffes! good idea. Unfortunately they get lost, and their relative size to the tree, grass is too subtle to pick them up - perhaps eliminating the tree and making them more prominent, and obviously nervously eyeing the lion might work?

Perhaps the camera angle should be changed slightly (or the lion's mane changed some) to prevent the head of lion lining up with the horizon line behind it as well?

The tree foliage could be less dense, more scraggly, and show more of a straight cut browsing line at the bottom, due to creatures nibbling the vegetation at their maximum height line, to be technically corrrect - but not necessary for this composition.

I'm not sure if I'm happy with the grass yet though

The grass looks good, maybe a little more variation in height, angles of growth would add more realism - it's the right kind of grass, right color. Keep the sparse look - these habitats are very stark, dry, thorny, taxing on the survival & adaptation skills of all.

EDIT: Just noticed you addressed some of the issues while I was posting.

lionB0mod.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

I'll see what I can do about getting the horizon down to the lower third. Getting the lion out of center will take alot of rearranging, but I'll see what I can do.

Yes the mane is a bit dark, the fake AO darkens it up quite alot. I'll have to adjust the color map driving the hair color.

That looks like two-headed giraffe in Nancy's post.

hee hee - I just grabbed the first giraffe photo I had handy - absolutely, do NOT do a 2 headed giraffe. But I thought the pose was cute, if it was made more obviously better, I didn't want to spend too much time on this.

DSC_4150crop.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

Sorry Chris, still "Not a Master". I'd be lucky to know half of what A:M can do. I don't model very well (can modify existing models though) and I'm not a very good animator. I'm sure there're other things that I'm not very good at either. So, my title still stands. ;)

Ooooo...Looking good! One thing that bothers me some is the tree sticking up directly behind the lion as it looks too connected to him, looks like it's sticking up out of his butt. Perhaps it could be moved left (so it doesn't intersect lion in 2D), and the lion moved right and down more onto the empty path? For me, there is too much empty path in front.

I like the nonchalant giraffes with the lion. Lions really do stay away from the adults, as giraffes can do some serious damage with their powerful legs. However, lions will try to go after the babies. A lone lion can easily be chased off by the momma. I'm not so sure about when they are hunting in a group, but I'm sure it would be a fierce fight.