Hash, Inc. Forums

Post rendering

I may not be asking this in the appropriate place, If sO I apologise.

I have spent a long time rendering out .tga files from my current project.

They were rendered at 1920 x 1060 and I am now trying to compile the frames in Final Cut Pro into the finished piece.

Can anyone advise as to what video Codec to use to get the best quality at full registration ?

The still frames rendered have no visual banding but, when I compile them in FCP, even in uncompressed form, ( all 508Mb for 3 seconds worth ) then banding is very noticeable.

Is there acny way around this ?

If I am asking in the wrong place, can anyone advise as to where to ask ?

sincerely

Simon Edmondson

In the rendering setup window trying opening the triangle, then click on Set. It should open up all the codes available. If you have FCP, you might try the 4.2.2 codec, or a PRO50.

If you scroll down this topic, http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39604 it should show you what I am talking about.

Thank you very much indeed for your informative reply.

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

I had a banding problem with a project being edited in After Effects and there the solution was setting AE to use 16 bits per channel rather than 8. But ultimately it still had to got to a 8bpc codec so it's a mystery to me why that was better in the end.

Does FCP have a forum, perhaps? This is probably something they've all encountered.

I use FCE and I'll say that anything imported using the .mov format with the Apple Intermediate Codec works like a charm. Apparently it is the prefered format as FCE doesn't have to render it out either. Of course I use AM to compile the frames and export as .mov as opposed to using FCE for that function