Hash, Inc. Forums

How much should I ask?

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Well, I got this in my Youtube mailbox today...

Dear robcat,

I am putting a presentation together for the finance group for our company. And I wanted to show them the cycle of how our systems implementation would improve their daily tasks. And two of your clips are GREAT that I'd like to incorporate into our power point (animation with dragging feet and the one pushing the wheel up the incline). Would it be possible to share the file with us so I could insert it directly into the power point.

How much should I ask to license those clips to her? ;)

$25 maybe?

I'd keep it low since it's likely they could get by without your files ...or figure out a way to download the flash files. It's an internal presentation, so there's probably not a budget for this and no one is going to see it outside of the company.

But if you make it some price that seems so reasonable that it would seem wrong not to pay... Maybe even direct them to your Amazon wishlist. The individual might do it themselves out of appreciation.

My thinking nowadays is a little bit is better than nothing. :-)

Yeah--- it looks like they are 'begging' them from you. They are a large corporation trying sell a lucrative account... you are an independent animator... 'free' is out of the question, get what little you can tho, A meal- a book... $50...

If it is just a one shot deal and others may or may not use it you should charge a little less like clip art. If it incorporated into multiple pieces of art, presentations, web, print etc then you should figure it being like a commissioned job and charge by the time it took you.

Be glad they asked and didn't just swipe it. That alone shows some credibility with them and they may even work out to be a good client.

My sense is that they won't want to pay anything. She's hoping I'll "share" them. :D

On the flip side, their company would not share any of their resources...ever. I'd guess that this individual is not asking for her/his company, but rather on her own, so she/he can dress up the presentation. This person most likely has no authority to purchase assets such as yours. But if you're looking for exposure (what little you'd get) at least require credits on the presentation slide that your clips appear on. Specify the verbage, font type/style/size.

For credits, maybe you can send a version of the video with your own credit on it.

For payment, pointing her to the Amazon Wishlist is a great idea. Tell her if she gets you animation-related material, you will consider it a research grant. ;)

Martin was right... people have no qualms whatsoever in asking an animator to work for free, and give away the fruits of their labor. (In his case- he was referring to programmers.) Can you go to the grocery store and ask 'I'm making a presentation to win a major account- could you give me a dozen doughnuts and a dozen bagels to help me win it?' Tell this person to sweeten the offer or forget it.

Well, I got this in my Youtube mailbox today...

Dear robcat,

I am putting a presentation together for the finance group for our company. And I wanted to show them the cycle of how our systems implementation would improve their daily tasks. And two of your clips are GREAT that I'd like to incorporate into our power point (animation with dragging feet and the one pushing the wheel up the incline). Would it be possible to share the file with us so I could insert it directly into the power point.

How much should I ask to license those clips to her? ;)

Keep in mind that with youtube downloader they could have just downloaded it and used it and you be none the wiser. So I think the wish list idea would be a good option. Hay they are atleast asking you first instead of just stealing it.

Martin was right... people have no qualms whatsoever in asking an animator to work for free, and give away the fruits of their labor. (In his case- he was referring to programmers.) Can you go to the grocery store and ask 'I'm making a presentation to win a major account- could you give me a dozen doughnuts and a dozen bagels to help me win it?' Tell this person to sweeten the offer or forget it.

I think this is right for new content created for an special use... but if you already have it and you never intended to sell it anyway / you sold it and you are allowed to give it away afterwards it is okay to give it away for even a low price. I think the wish-list-thingy is a good option. They can think of what they want to buy you, you dont need any company to do it and you get something you really wanted... Nice option as long as you dont have to live from it and you didnt produce it specially for the person who is asking for it but for your own fun.

Just to mention it: I am making (at least for a 30%-40% part) my living from 3d... (not characteranimation so but visualisations of products and educational animations)

See you

*Fuchur*