Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Subscription Activation/Renewal

Rodney

• Admin

I just renewed my subscription for 2011 and want to comment on the steps for those going through the same process.

Subscribing may not be the preferred method for everyone but there are benefits for those that do.

Subscribing to A:M is a very straightforward process:

- Visit the A:M Store.

- Purchase a subscription.

- Install A:M.

- (If renewing remove the master.lic file from your master folder)

- Activate your new subscription.

If troubleshooting is needed here are some general tips:

- You won't need to uninstall, just delete or remove the .lic file from your master folder. It will most likely be named master0.lic

- You can verify your expiration date by examining the contents of the file or if you have not yet expired you can see this info in the "About Box" of Animation:Master's Help Menu.

- (Vista users may need to do the following to access the file):

- Browse to your Master folder using the explorer/file browser and select the "Compatiblity Files" button in the tool bar. Vista places these "generated" files in a safe jail area where they appear hidden.

- If you cannot find your activation code visit the store or check your email. You can retrieve the activation codes from there.

Stand by for any Mac specific installation tips.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO--- every year I get stuck on this... I am now just getting the attached error message when I enter my new activation code. I see there is no .lic file in the V16 folder... I have uninstalled and reinstalled V16a 64 and 32 bits. Stuck!

grrr.jpg

Man--- I dread my yearly update. I think I got thru it, seems easier at home on my Win7 machine than on this XP64... I *think* my problem was due to trying to boot-up the 64 bit version 1st... because when I tried the 32 bit version it finally took and accepted my new activation code, and then the 64bit version worked too. Deleting EVERYTHING from the V16 folder was a BAD idea... now that I have A:M running it can't seem to find my darktree's or Jenpy's FakeAO (and who knows what else) and all my preferences are vapor.

I'd rather have a flu-shot. I need an aspirin.

• 5 months later...

I am up and running at home and at work, yes. Renewing a sub is brain-dead easy- I just overthink it, and go left whenst should go right. Steffen(Yoda) is going to add a 2 week warning to your subscription, and next year I will search on the forum for the proper way to re-upp before I go a-delving in.... credit card in one hand, uninstaller in the other. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I bought AM license as a CD about 3 years ago at the comic book event in san francico, AM had a booth at this event, just now loaded onto my PC.

Now how do I get an activation code?

I called and emailed all last week and have not heard back from anyone.

Having fun with modeling, really looking forward to saving my projects.

• Hash Fellow
I bought AM license as a CD about 3 years ago at the comic book event in san francico, AM had a booth at this event, just now loaded onto my PC.

Do you have a physical CD? And if so, what picture is on it?

Do you have a physical CD? And if so, what picture is on it?

I have physical CD

picture is of tin man and scarecrow in front of castle

• Hash Fellow

OK, when you run the installer that is on that CD what version does it put on your computer?

It will put a "Hash Inc" folder in your Program Files folder ("Program Files (x86)" if you are on a 64-bit OS) with a folder inside it name like "V13.0"

I don't think Hash was selling anything that was online-activated three years ago. All you should need when you run that the first time is the serial number that was likely in the printed stuff you got with your CD.

OK, when you run the installer that is on that CD what version does it put on your computer?

It will put a "Hash Inc" folder in your Program Files folder ("Program Files (x86)" if you are on a 64-bit OS) with a folder inside it name like "V13.0"

I don't think Hash was selling anything that was online-activated three years ago. All you should need when you run that the first time is the serial number that was likely in the printed stuff you got with your CD.

that folder indicates version 15.0, in the about hash window it shows version 15.0b.

I only have the CD, the serial number is on the CD sleeve.

also in the about window it indicates "not activated"

that folder indicates version 15.0, in the about hash window it shows version 15.0b.

Doesn't need to be activated. If you have already been using A:M to model, then you can save your work. There is no separate activation for CD. Don't worry about it. Additionally, I believe you are entitled to download & use latest version of 15 = 15j+ located in post found here

aboutam.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

Doesn't need to be activated. If you have already been using A:M to model, then you can save your work. There is no separate activation for CD. Don't worry about it. Additionally, I believe you are entitled to download & use latest version of 15 = 15j+ located in post found here

When I save new project I do not have a place to enter new project name or a button that says ok or cancel, not sure what this window will say, all the window indicates is the folder to save to with messgae stating no project found

When I save new project I do not have a place to enter new project name or a button that says ok or cancel, not sure what this window will say, all the window indicates is the folder to save to with messgae stating no project found

Go to "Tools > Options" and activate at the gLobal-Tab "Resizeable filedialogs" and click ok.

Now you should be able to resize the file dialog to be big enough to reveal the filename-field.

I dont know why some have problems with the window being too small... most of us dont have to do that.

See you

*Fuchur*

Awe Man Guys....

I get antsee about this every year it seems.

I'm about to have to do my renewal. I hope I can remember the right steps... Seems like when I purchased/ downloaded.....it installed everything without giving me the

opportunity to remove paste my .lic into the right place.

After I purchase my new subscription, do I remove and paste my .lic file somewhere (for safe keeping) and then install the new stuff......

Also....is re-installing even necessary....can I somehow just get a new .lic file and keep on using the current version?

Go to "Tools > Options" and activate at the gLobal-Tab "Resizeable filedialogs" and click ok.

Now you should be able to resize the file dialog to be big enough to reveal the filename-field.

I dont know why some have problems with the window being too small... most of us dont have to do that.

That sounds like you are trying to Open a project rather than save it? But if not:

And you are trying to save it and having trouble, do as Fuchur says, and you may also need to restart A:M after you do that (not sure).

If that doesn't work - then please show a screen capture of message when you try to save your project or model (do not have to only save projects)

resize.jpg

After I purchase my new subscription, do I remove and paste my .lic file somewhere (for safe keeping) and then install the new stuff......

Also....is re-installing even necessary....can I somehow just get a new .lic file and keep on using the current version?

I haven't tried - but I will bet that you don't need to re-install, ie you can keep using your current version. After purchasing new subscription and receiving activation key in your invoice as stated on hash store:

1) rename your current expired master0.lic file to eg master0.bak in the directory in which your current favorite version resides, or else move it out of the directory to somewhere safe

2) start favorite A:M version of your choice, fill in activation code as directed. New master0.lic file should show up in the directory

Let us know if that works...heh heh...

• Hash Fellow

See you

*Fuchur*

It is very possible that the "re-sizable File dialogs" option isn't in v15b... it IS in v15j+ which is another good reason to download the latest v15 installer and install it over your current v15b. Your CD will still enable running v15j+

See you

*Fuchur*

I did as you said, you are correct I cannot resize window, however I did not find the option you mentioned.

here is the option box screen shot

post-13474-1330449541_thumb.png

See you

*Fuchur*

Just read the rest of your post.

I thought someone was looking into what date my version is so I can choose the correct option in the download area of this website, it seems they do that by knowing the picture on the CD, which is the tin man and scarecrow in front of the castle

It is very possible that the "re-sizable File dialogs" option isn't in v15b... it IS in v15j+ which is another good reason to download the latest v15 installer and install it over your current v15b. Your CD will still enable running v15j+

• Hash Fellow
I believe the latest v15j+ installer for CD can be found here:

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/windows/v15/

Would I download amcd.exe or would I go into the old directory and download am_v15.0i_cd.exe?

You dont' want old, you want not old. And I'll bet you a dollar that something called v15.0i is not going to be v15.0j+

get amcd.exe

I believe the latest v15j+ installer for CD can be found here:

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/windows/v15/

Would I download amcd.exe or would I go into the old directory and download am_v15.0i_cd.exe?

You dont' want old, you want not old. And I'll bet you a dollar that something called v15.0i is not going to be v15.0j+

get amcd.exe

that seems to have done it, my save as window allowed me to name project and save in my directory of choice.

so far so good.

thanks everyone

• Admin

Just a note to say that today I resubscribed and reactivated.

This wouldn't be worthy of noting except that reactivation couldn't have fallen at a worse time for me (I had expected to be able to reactivate before my internet connectivity was cut off). On the positive side, the timing served as something of a test from the perspective of a disconnect user who has trouble gaining access to the internet.

Results: From time of purchase to activation of both 32bit and 64bit took less than 15 minutes.

The time included reinstallation of both versions. Although I didn't need to do that, I tend to like clean/full installations to clear out any old cobwebs. All I would have had to do is move the old master.lic file somewhere else and I estimate full reactivation (including purchase) could have been easily accomplished in less than 5 minutes without reinstallation.

General observations:

- I am so looking forward to the days when internet connectivity is freely available everywhere without seeking out local 'hotspots'.

- We don't have to reinstall A:M to reactivate... just move the master.lic file (see above)

- Don't have Netrender Messenger running in the background or some files will not be able to reinstall until you close Netrender down (files in use cannot be replaced while in use by the Windows OS).

- Um... let's see... what else? Oh, yeah. Hash Rocks!

Keep on keepin' on! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Hope I'm posting in the right place: I'm returning to AM after a long hiatus and just bought a license for AM16 so I could participate in the AM17 beta. Problem is, while I've installed the 17 beta, I didn't actually get a download link for 16 (that I can find...). My confirmation email is attached. Am I missing something? Should I be concerned? I observe that the 17 beta has far less content than previous versions, presumably because it's a beta. Any thoughts?

post-4367-1333103314_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

Hope I'm posting in the right place: I'm returning to AM after a long hiatus and just bought a license for AM16 so I could participate in the AM17 beta. Problem is, while I've installed the 17 beta, I didn't actually get a download link for 16 (that I can find...). My confirmation email is attached. Am I missing something? Should I be concerned? I observe that the 17 beta has far less content than previous versions, presumably because it's a beta. Any thoughts?

The link for v16b is located in this thread. The things I think you are looking for as far as content should be the links in this thread.

Hope that helps, Reuben.

• 5 months later...

Okay guys, I'm confused.

I have ver14.0c.

I'm considering upgrading.

If I upgrade to ver 17 (current, correct?)... I subscribe for $79... It's good for only one computer, right? And if I upgrade my PC (which I am also considering doing) after I downloaded the subscription... It's no good on the new computer. Right?

And if I want to model on my laptop away from home, I can't do that. Even if I "buy in" at the $299.00 level... Is that right? And even the $299.00 level won't cover me if I upgrade my computer.

Version 14.0c, I'm told, is buggy in the rendering portion (as far as transparency goes). I understand the difference between render lock and quick render mode and rendering to file (the latter is what I'm talking about)..

Please tell me I'm incorrect in some part of this?

I really like A:M and I have since it was Playmation (the first version I owned)... I don't often have a desire to sit down and do any animation... but when I do, I'd like to be able to at least do so under the last version I purchased... and if it's a year or two out (or longer, as it is now) since last I putzed with A:M, I have to spend$$ to do it.

And if I don't upgrade, because I don't have a professional need for a more current program, I'm stuck with one that doesn't quite work right.

Make no mistake... $79.00 is extremely reasonable, even for a one year sub. But, I'm getting ready to retire... and "Disposable income" for a few days of putzing and dinking every year or so... well...

• Admin
If I upgrade to ver 17 (current, correct?)... I subscribe for $79... It's good for only one computer, right? And if I upgrade my PC (which I am also considering doing) after I downloaded the subscription... It's no good on the new computer. Right?

No. That is not right.

It won't be good on the new computer until you transfer the subscription to the new computer.

For that you contact Hash Inc (jason@hash.com) and request a new activation code.

This may take a little while because Jason is only one person but plan ahead and you'll be able to do it with minimal hassle.

Version 14.0c, I'm told, is buggy in the rendering portion (as far as transparency goes).

As always, consider the source. It's not clear what you were told so it's hard to tell what is accurate and what may be misinformation.

All software is buggy but that is why Hash Inc offers a subscription... so no one has to live for very long with those.

You are incorrect in some parts of this.

And if I don't upgrade, because I don't have a professional need for a more current program, I'm stuck with one that doesn't quite work right

Yes, if you don't upgrade you must use the version you have. Hash Inc cannot go back 25 years and update all of it's old programs.

They have constantly kept their subscription price low so that users can update every year ($79 currently).

Check to be sure you have the most current release of the version you are using.

Hash Inc has historically updated A:M so frequently that A:M Users may not have installed the most current version.

All installers can be found on the Hash Inc FTP site: ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/

It's not entirely clear to me what isn't working for you.

If there isn't a fix, usually there is a workaround for most problems.

No. That is not right.

It won't be good on the new computer until you transfer the subscription to the new computer.

For that you contact Hash Inc (jason@hash.com) and request a new activation code.

This may take a little while because Jason is only one person but plan ahead and you'll be able to do it with minimal hassle.

Version 14.0c, I'm told, is buggy in the rendering portion (as far as transparency goes).

As always, consider the source. It's not clear what you were told so it's hard to tell what is accurate and what may be misinformation.

All software is buggy but that is why Hash Inc offers a subscription... so no one has to live for very long with those.

You are incorrect in some parts of this.

And if I don't upgrade, because I don't have a professional need for a more current program, I'm stuck with one that doesn't quite work right

Yes, if you don't upgrade you must use the version you have. Hash Inc cannot go back 25 years and update all of it's old programs.

They have constantly kept their subscription price low so that users can update every year ($79 currently).

Check to be sure you have the most current release of the version you are using.

Hash Inc has historically updated A:M so frequently that A:M Users may not have installed the most current version.

All installers can be found on the Hash Inc FTP site: ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/

It's not entirely clear to me what isn't working for you.

If there isn't a fix, usually there is a workaround for most problems.

Rodney, thanks for the replies...

What isn't working for me is rendering a progressive transparency on a model in final render mode... (see thread giving dex a brain, in "new users" below)... I am currently re-working the model so that I can see if that fixes it...

You will see what caused me to believe that 14.0 c (the latest version, re-installed) might have some problems with final rendering of transparency.

I am not defeated yet... just a bit frustrated at the moment...

And as I said there is nothing unreasonable with $79 annual subscription rates. And I'm glad that with some forethought, I can transfer to a new computer.

It will probably all work out one way or another... as I work on it... but I can be as impatient as a noob... wanting the Polaroid solution to all my problems... "make dragon button" where are you? :lol:

Thanks again.

• Admin

Regarding the transparency issue... I'll look at your topic.

If I can find the time I'll fire up the sub for v14 (i.e. install it) and take a deeper look.

Yet another reason the A:M subscription is so cool.

Edit: I see others are already assisting you in that topic so I'll just watch from the sidelines.

(Mod Note: To follow the adventures of Charles and Dex please follow this link to the ongoing topic)

• 7 months later...
  • *A:M User*

Well I copied my master0.lic file from my external drive back over to my laptop, and I get the error "wrong host for license -4". Which confuses me as it is the same darn laptop, just with a bigger hard disk.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to request a new license/activation key from Hash?

Well I copied my master0.lic file from my external drive back over to my laptop, and I get the error "wrong host for license -4". Which confuses me as it is the same darn laptop, just with a bigger hard disk.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to request a new license/activation key from Hash?

New Hard drive = new hardware. You'll need to contact Jason/Hash Support.

• *A:M User*

Well, I get if it was an entirely new laptop but just one component? Would it have done the same thing if I changed the memory?

At any rate, I emailed support@hash.com so hopefully will be able to get this resolved soon. I guess I could just put the old drive back in, but that seems silly.

New Hard drive = new hardware. You'll need to contact Jason/Hash Support.

Since we don't know what is really used for the calculation of the host-id (which would be a security-problem if we did) this is the right statement.

If you are changing hardware (I doubt that RAM is a problem, actually I added RAM before without a problem) it will properly need a reassigning of your licence.

This is not very problematic so... get in touch with Jason from Hash and it wil be resolved.

See you

*Fuchur*

I have a few more days left on my sub. I want to know how I go about renewing? I have 13 days and I want to do it as soon as possible. Thanks.

Easy:

1.) Buy a new subscription in the store. You will receive a new activation-key after payment.

2.) Go to your A:M installation-folder and rename your "master0.lic" to "master0.old". (or move the file to another folder. If you are only seeing a file called "master0" this may have to do with the OS setting "hide known extensions". Just move this file to another folder, it is the right one.)

3.) Start A:M. You will be asked for an activation-key again.

4.) Put it in and make sure you are connected to the internet before hitting okay.

5.) Hit okay.

> You are done.

See you

*Fuchur*

• 11 months later...

I have 14 days remaining on my current subscription. If I buy a new one year subscription and register today, will they be added to the new subscription, or should I wait the 2 weeks before renewing? Another question: is it possible to buy say two or three years subscription in advance? :-)

• Hash Fellow
I have 14 days remaining on my current subscription. If I buy a new one year subscription and register today, will they be added to the new subscription, or should I wait the 2 weeks before renewing?

I'm pretty sure the time runs from when you register so I suggest waiting until the clock runs out.

Another question: is it possible to buy say two or three years subscription in advance? :-)

We just have one-year terms now.