Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bubba

broken render-to-file button

I am quickly loosing faith in version 15. Now the render-to-file button will not work. Clicking on it just does nothing. Is there any other way to make A:M render a scene?

Postscript: My 1 key on the keypad (see other post) was not working. I discovered that I had turned off camera1. So I was stuck in camera 2. After turning camera 1 back on, I could toggle between them.

This also made the render to file button work. I tried turning off camera 1 to see if it would disable the render to file but it still worked.

I am using v15.0.j on a Mac. Maybe some else could verify if this is an intermittent problem?

I am quickly loosing faith in version 15. Now the render-to-file button will not work. Clicking on it just does nothing. Is there any other way to make A:M render a scene?

Postscript: My 1 key on the keypad (see other post) was not working. I discovered that I had turned off camera1. So I was stuck in camera 2. After turning camera 1 back on, I could toggle between them.

This also made the render to file button work. I tried turning off camera 1 to see if it would disable the render to file but it still worked.

I am using v15.0.j on a Mac. Maybe some else could verify if this is an intermittent problem?

I'm on 15j+ and a Mac and I get this sometimes too. But I'm afraid I have no answer for you, as it seems totally random as to when it will happen. Which I guess would make fixing it a challenge for a programmer to track down. For a time I thought it might be connected to changing render settings in the "Options" window immediately before hitting render. But I could never consistently reproduce the problem and gave up trying in the end.

I do Know A:M doesn't always like talking to Finder on Macs and workarounds for that have been posted elsewhere on the forum.

Maybe when rendering to file, as you have to specify a file name and location, that would get Finder involved with the process. But I'm just guessing here.

My standard response now when A:M misbehaves is first check "Mirror Mode" is off (that button is both a curse and a blessing!) and if that's not the problem, just quit and relaunch A:M.

Is there any other way to make A:M render a scene?

I occurs to me that under Tools>Customize>Keyboard one can set a keyboard shortcut for any command including "render to file".

Try that. Pick something that you won't hit accidentally like ALT+r.

Whether that works or not depends on whether it is just the button that is not responding or "render to file"

It's a deeper bug :angry:

Sometimes the render to file dialog are not able to create a combobox , in this case the dialog is not created (looks like the render to file button doesn't work)

The bigger problem here , I have seen this only one time yet , when I'm running A:M inside gdb , hard to catch this bug (it's a mac only bug)

Thanks Steffen.

Perhaps a work-around for Bubba would be to Save, Reload and Render or Save, quit, reload, render.

I'll tell you how to reproduce the bug. Do something that "breaks" AM and it either crashes the program or makes you Force Quit. The next time you open the program, Render to File won't work and only fix is to Quit AM normally and relaunch. So from what I've experienced is that it only happens when AM crashes or shuts down improperly.

I have had the same problem a few times and get so frustrated I could scream.

In the Tools I have gone from 'use camera settings' then to other settings, and I think that is where the confusion is.

In the PWS you can choose settings for the camera, but in the Tools if it set to something else it seems to get confused.

So I shut it down have a cocktail, go to the boys room, (if no boys room available use a girls room) when I come back later.....tada!!!..... all is normal.

Either way it does get done.

Does the Mac have the same or similar Tools/Customize option on the Menu Toolbar?

If it does, I'm curious if adding a second Render to File icon will yield the same results:

Steps to create the icon:

Select Tools/Customize on the top menu

Move to the Command tab

Select the Render to File icon and Drag and Drop that onto your menu

Since they both launch the same thing I'll guess they will yield the same results.

But perhaps it's worth a try.

I am running into this same issue with v16rc2. Pushing on the Render-to-Fie does nothing, it just make the little "X" in the menu flash. Everything in the PWS and Timeline goes blank. I even tried making a keyboard shortcut - no help. I have rendered with the v16rc2 but there is nothing major that I changed. And the version has not crashed on me today.

Just to try...

-if you do Tools>Customize>Commands and drag a render button to another tool bar, does it work any different?

-if you happen to have some other view up (top, side...) instead of the camera view does it work any different?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this