Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lara Croft

mtpeak2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Keeps getting better and better and better Mark!

I'm liking the fur on the tigers. Very nice effect.

My thought is that the tigers look a bit static.

Any chance that you might pose each tiger in action? (perhaps one crounching/one jumping with paws outstretched?)

The visual trick here being one of having two poses of a lion's jump captured in a still image via the anticipation of the jump and the actual jump. The viewer sees in Lara's pose her reaction and can determine for themselves the follow on to all of the combined visual activity.

Sorry, I'm not explaining this very well.

The idea equates to a scene of a half dozen horses galloping. Each horse's pose is essentially a different moment of a single horse's action.

Separated out in the scene and adjusted for differentiation the viewer doesn't quite know what is so pleasing about those seemingly random actions.

Importantly however is that each pose is a key pose in the given action. If the action is 'jumping', then one pose is captured mid jump while another might capture the anticipatory pose of that action.

I believe I first saw the technique in a painting where a pack of wolves were circling their prey. The artist used the idea of animation to capture several moments in time for these circling predatory animals. This not only gave the scene a pleasing continuity but added a layer of tension as well as a sense of the missing part of the sequence (the pending action). He then colored the wolves differently and gave each a distinct personality.

In a way you've all ready got this going on now. I suppose I'm suggesting the tigers poses could be further exploited and/or exaggerated?

Press on! Press on! I'm obviously being pulled into your scene and it's activity. :)

• Admin

Understood.

Lara looks like she's in full control of the situation. :)

Compositionally there are a lot of things that could be done, but yours is the only pure view.

I'm just enjoying the analysis of your scene.

An additional thought is that of camera placement (Note: I'm not trying to second guess your decisions here)

The manipulation of the camera can further enhance the dynamics of the scene.

A lower angle looking up might amplify the lions feeling of intimidation. (The camera being set to the height of the eyes of a crouching tiger with Lara looming large above them)

A high angle looking down might suggest Lara is in control of the situation. (The camera set to at least the height of Lara's eye level)

An even higher angle looking down might increase the sense of Lara's isolation. (This would likely require pulling the camera back and setting the camera to a Bird's Eye View)

Your imagery invites exploration and I'm enjoying the view.

If your action word had been "Trapped" I'd guess she might have her back pinned against that rock wall?

With your other pieces... whales, dinosaurs, etc. you are amassing quite a gallery of these scenes.

I'd love to see you produce a CG comic book.

With your imagery, I don't think it'd even need words!

Perhaps just the occasional onomatopoeia, "grrrr..." "clickclick.""clickclick." "RRroar!"