Hash, Inc. Forums

Lara Croft

mtpeak2

Here's something I've been working on.

The model is a modified "Jungle Queen" model, modeled by Jim Talbot. The glasses were modeled Ken Citron (pixelplucker) and the boots were modeled by Eric Camden (Eric2575). Thanks guys for your contributions. Now I just need some handguns. ;)

The model was rerigged with the 2008 rig including the face. The outfit still needs weighting. The hair is A:M hair. The holster still needs work. And I hope to build a set.

The things you can do with the available resources.

Lara_Croft.jpg

NICE. I've found weighting is an art unto itself. Best done in an action or chor where you can move the bones about, see issues, and rewieght via muscle mode. You get the weights just right for a certain pose... put the model in another action or pose- and see that the weights do not work as well now. It's really about finding a happy medium and trading off between smartskin and manual CP smoothing. When you get deep into weighting you will appreciate it if you used minimal splineage when you were modeling.

It would be great if you could make a pose that changed a CP or group of CPs weight assignments... FEATURE REQUEST! Maybe you can using relationships or something else way over my head.

ALSO: Has anyone else noticed that the weight editor is acting quite differently in V16 from the way it did in the past? Say, if you have some CPs and they are weighted 50% to bone 1 and 50% to bone 2, and you want to throw in a 3rd bone at only 20% but keep bone 1 at 50%... so it would be B1-50%, B2 30%, B3 20%... it used to be that all you needed to do was (in the editor) click a bone, enter a value one by one, and 'apply'. NOW- if I put the 3rd bone in there and give it a value of 20... the editor will automatically 'do the math' on the other two and give them 40-40%... but I want bone 1 at 50%... so I click bone 1 and enter 50... but the editor again 'does the math' on the other two and splits the difference equally... but thats not what I wanted... so I go round and round this way until I get 'near' to what I want. I prefer the old way... I can 'do the math' quite well myself. BEFORE I make a report... anyone else in agreement?

Maybe I should make this its own topic...

I know all about weighting, Matt. ;)

The weighting dialog box changed in v16. This was a request from Robert I believe (And maybe a few others. I had a partial hand in it), to automaticly adjust the weighting of the other bones according to the last bone weighted (you can lock a bones weight). I'm not too sure if I like the way it works now though. For example, it is very dificult to weight 4 bones equally at 25%, which I do alot in the hands. I have had to bring models back into v15 to do some of the weighting. Three bones isn't too bad (when you remember to lock the bone you want to stay), but four is a pain. I have a base way I weight a model, then tweak from there.

I'm also having problems with the "MirrorBones" plugin and exporting from an action. I need to setup a test case to send to Steffen.

Great! I really like the AO-SSS look... altho some of your images thus far have either been over or under exposed... or maybe its this monitor. I really like the 'Angelina' look she has, altho the eye makeup may be a bit dark (looks like she has shiners) BUT- I am mostly unfamiliar with the Tomb Raider thang... so maybe that's the way it is.

AND- I've learned that to REALLY get your SSS to do it's full effect... you can make a new light and assign it (via a light list) only to the character with the SSS... a little behind her and off to one side... gives a nice rim light AND kicks the SSS into gear(light penetrating thru thinner parts of skin, like earlobes).

Thanks guys.

Yes Robert, that's "zoom blur". The tigers are from the "extra cd". They're great models, but the texturing needs work, so I used the "zoom blur" in Paint.NET paint program. The background is just an image I found on the net (projected on the standard ground), which I plan on using for reference in building the real set. The lighting is basicly the standard chor lighting (lights changed to all kliegs), and repostioned and adjusted. Rendered with fakeAO and used "soft portrait" in post (another effect in Paint.NET).

Here's the start of the new set and rendered in the scene.

Nice new set! Nice composition.

Lara needs to be looking more intense, and at the tiger - as it is now she appears to be daydreaming. Perhaps it is just another day at the office for her. I like the blur - gives a nice action feel

Thanks Nancy. I'll see what I can do about looking more intense. Still alot to do on the set though.

My sense on all these renders is that you hadn't set any keys on the face at all, as she looks fairly neutral throughout. I assumed you were leaving that for last and hadn't gotten to it yet.