Controlling bone rotation with Expressions

A:M Films

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic tutorial. Forgive my lack of imagination but how could this solution be applied? WHere might it come in handy?

I could see expressions working for hydraulics on a train connected to the trains wheels. As the wheels rotate the hydraulics need to extend and contract.

Thank you for these invaluable tutorials. They breath new life into Animation master for people like me.

Fantastic tutorial. Forgive my lack of imagination but how could this solution be applied? WHere might it come in handy?

I could see expressions working for hydraulics on a train connected to the trains wheels. As the wheels rotate the hydraulics need to extend and contract.

The Expression in this tutorial could be applied in more situations than I could list...usually as a small part of a lot of Expressions and constraints. Off the top of my head, I know it has been used in things like the Hand Gizmo and the face rig in the Squetch Rig...it's a building block for a lot of setups. It's similar to an "orient like" constraint, but the rotation is able to be isolated on a per axis basis and requires actual rotation being applied to the source bone.

Expressions in general are extremely powerful...this tutorial is a very simple example. They are a big part of a rigging toolkit along with constraints, Smartskin and bone parenting...each used for different reasons depending on the situation.

Hope that is helpful, Jason.

The Expression in this tutorial could be applied in more situations than I could list...usually as a small part of a lot of Expressions and constraints. Off the top of my head, I know it has been used in things like the Hand Gizmo and the face rig in the Squetch Rig...it's a building block for a lot of setups. It's similar to an "orient like" constraint, but the rotation is able to be isolated on a per axis basis and requires actual rotation being applied to the source bone.

Expressions in general are extremely powerful...this tutorial is a very simple example. They are a big part of a rigging toolkit along with constraints, Smartskin and bone parenting...each used for different reasons depending on the situation.

Hope that is helpful, Jason.

Thanks again