Hash, Inc. Forums

OT forum disappeared?

Roger

It's the third thing on the forum...how hard can it be hard to find? I mean you're all meticulous artists, aware of every detail, every spline, CP in your project and you can't find the OT forum which we happen to be talking in right now? Tsk tsk.

• Admin
it only appears in the forum list if I'm logged in.

Simple concept: Those not logged in generally don't need to read the A:M Community's Off Topic discussions.

Suggestion: Login (You'll get more and better access to stuff)

Membership has it's privileges. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand (maybe) why the OT forum might not be visible to guests but I don't understand why the unlogged-in (eg FB friends, linking from facebook, or other sites) would not be able to see the images in the "Works in Progress" threads. When not logged in, one can see the threads, but just not the images in the threads. I believe one can see the images in special topics, animation master, all others? but not in WIPs (last I looked).

EDIT: just confirmed - can not see images in WIPs forum/section

• Hash Fellow

I wonder if there's way to configure the forum so unlogged in visitors can at least see things like JPGs and download MOVs but still need to be logged in for downloading things like PRJs and and other assets?

Or perhaps there are compelling reasons not to?

• Admin
(we should) be able to see the images in the "Works in Progress" threads

Even guests should be able to see images in the WIP section.

If you aren't seeing them while not logged in, I'll guess the WIP section's permissions aren't set correctly.

I'll check the settings on that.

Update: All seems to be in order there. Please point out any specific locations where you are having difficulties.

I wonder if there's way to configure the forum so unlogged in visitors can at least see things like JPGs and download MOVs but still need to be logged in for downloading things like PRJs and and other assets?

Unlogged guests (generally) can see everything. They cannot (generally) upload or download anything.

So I think what you are suggesting is already there. It'd be easy enough to check.

Update: All in order here with a few exceptions not likely to impact anyone (now fixed). As far as I can tell permissions cannot be set by type of attachment. Viewing is one thing while downloading is yet another. Downloading restrictions trump viewing privileges. Guests generally don't have downloading capabilities but can depending on the settings in specific forum areas. For instance, visitors should be able to view the images in the Special Topics/WIP area. (The WIP sections permissions are now fixed)

• Admin
>I thought the forum was always set that anything uploaded wasn't available to guests.

It's pretty common practice for forums to require registration and login prior to accessing content. The A:M Forum leans forward a little on this and grants access to all for some community resources.

For instance, the Special Topics/WIP section is where members can show their projects off to everyone. So (within reason) it makes sense for guests to be able to view content there. There evidently was a conflict between 'reading' and 'download' permissions that prevented the images from being displayed to visitors/guests. (That is now fixed. Thanks for identifying this.)

If anyone wishes to discuss specific forum vulnerabilities please send me an email with questions and concerns and I'll be happy to discuss them.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Let me know what else needs fixin'.