Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

SXSW

Gerry

I just found out that Bill Plympton's Cartoon Jam, for which I did a shot, will be premiering at the SXSW festival next month. It's extremely short notice, expensive, and the hotels may already be at capacity, plus I know next to nothing about the festival, the venues or Austin TX.

Is anyone here in the area or have any knowledge about SXSW? I know we have some AMer's in TX. Any info would be welcome.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Austin...I tend to avoid SXSW though (so, I know more about Austin itself than the event). In general, SXSW is very expensive and very crowded. They sell some expensive passes, but those passes don't guarantee you'll be able to get into a venue (although I'm thinking more about the live bands...might be different on the film end).

I'm thinking your best bet would be to stay somewhere other than downtown...maybe south Austin along I-35 (about twenty minutes from downtown) would save you some money and possibly give you a better chance to find a vacancy. The bus system is so-so...I would rent a car. There is a light rail that goes to limited places...if you could find a hotel somewhere along it, it would take you directly downtown (I don't ride it, so I don't know the ins and outs of the rail system).

I know, not much help...I don't get out much. Hope it helped a little Gerry.

Thanks for the info, guys. It's looking a little expensive and extremely short notice, so not looking good. David, that light rail sounds like what I dealt with at the San Diego Con in '04, got a hotel out in the boonies but I could walk to a light rail train that went right to the convention center. It worked out pretty well.

The SXSW ticket just for movie events is $500, then air fare and hotel on top of that and it starts getting expensive. Plus it sound like it might be too cool for the likes of me!

SXSW has become the event only the out-of-towners attend. It's gotten too big and too expensive. If you decide to come, DON'T use the light rail or you'll wind up extremely pissed off.

I regularly use CapMetro - the bus system down here.

www.capmetro.org

The buses are going to be overcrowded, fares are $2 for 24 hour "Day pass" - you need to let the driver know.

Austin's a great city, and there's alot to enjoy while you're here. But, to be honest, I can't recommend paying all that money for so little value.

Steve P.