Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jimd

Rendered Image Filename (Mac)

this is the problem I described

in the screen shots you can see I renamed the export jpg as thin arms

however the file exported out as something missing 3 ( the number 3 after the title refers to the frame )

if I change the file name in the render file export window to thin arms then I get the

file name that I wanted

this showed up in one if the versions of 15 and in some cases you would just a blank

file or non at all

in v16 you have to change the name in both in order to get a lock

I don't seem to recall this in v14

thin_arms.png

something_missing.png

something_missing_3.jpg

thin_arms3.jpg

I cant say if this is an issue, but I dont recommend to use blanks in the filename.

Use "_" where you use blanks... maybe even that will help a littel.

*FuchuR*

There are two places you can designate the filename for your rendered images:

1. In the camera

2. In the render penel

At a guess I'd say that you've changed the name in the render panel but have the scene set to render 'from camera'.

This will bypass the render panel settings and use the camera's settings instead.

Another way to look at the 'Use Camera Settings' option is as an 'Ignore the Render Panel Settings' option.

Look for the Render Panel via Tools/Options on A:M's top menu.

There are two places you can designate the filename for your rendered images:

1. In the camera

2. In the render penel

At a guess I'd say that you've changed the name in the render panel but have the scene set to render 'from camera'.

This will bypass the render panel settings and use the camera's settings instead.

Another way to look at the 'Use Camera Settings' option is as an 'Ignore the Render Panel Settings' option.

Look for the Render Panel via Tools/Options on A:M's top menu.

well thats just it I am rendering from the camera

but it's the render panel thats messing with the export of the file

in v14 if I used the camera export everything would work fine

this all started with v15 and v16 ( v16 is easier to deal with )

since i know what to look for it dose not bother me

however i posted this for other mac users incas they have similar problems

Jim,

It looks like I just misread your post.

I initially thought the title and the post didn't quite match but now it makes more sense.

If what you've described has been posted to A:M Reports with repeatable steps to reproduce the problem I'm sure it'll be looked at and any bug squashed in the current version.

At a glance it seems that in your case A:M could be ignoring the 'Use Camera Settings' switch... but I haven't seen others suggest that isn't working.

There have been several changes over the years that streamline how the camera/render options dialogs work.

The ability to save render settings for instance has long been available but not all variables were accessible and available for reuse.

In the process of refining this perhaps the 'Use Camera Settings' toggle in the Render Options Panel was broke?

As I haven't seen this problem on the PC I shouldn't speculate on that any further.

I'm not sure what the layout of the optimal process would look like under the hood but I'd say we are getting close to ideal workflow.

The current trajectory aligns us with even more room for improvement in the future.

I can appreciate the difficulty in programming better access and control and enhancing workflow while simultaneously reducing complexity for the end user.

My general thought about workflow is that the render panel is a good place to set standard settings used across a production while the camera settings are best used when needing to override those. I confess that with the resent changes I'd have to run a few tests to confirm an optimum workflow.

Its a crazy thing to say but... we've got too many variables!!! (a nice problem to have if we're going to have one)

1- any number on the end of an image sequence filename becomes a template for image sequence numbering.

"something missing 3" will cause images to be saved as

"something missing 0"

"something missing 1"

"something missing 2"

"something missing 3"...

2- Your description is too ambiguous for me to follow completely. make a screencam of something that renders quick to show us what you are doing from start to finish.

Your description is too ambiguous

yep i agree with that statement and i shall try to make a demo

of the problem

If what you've described has been posted to A:M Reports with repeatable steps to reproduce the problem I'm sure it'll be looked at and any bug squashed in the current version.

At a glance it seems that in your case A:M could be ignoring the 'Use Camera Settings' switch... but I haven't seen others suggest that isn't working.

I'm not sure if has been posted or if this is an isolated issue

however it cropped up on my end in version 15 and then sorta got corrected to this in 16

anyway i'll try to post a vid

and if anyone else has this it would be good to hear

This seems to happen sometimes as well in PC version. But not consistently.

Regardless of whether I check "use camera settings" or not, I find I must make sure that after I hit "render to file", that in the render dialog box that pops up, that BOTH the file type and file name/path are correct. If they aren't, I change it in that dialog before hitting OK. After that, it usually is ok. I still check, every time.

I believe most of the funnies happen the first time I try to render a new chor. But I believe I have had other rare funnies happen. There was one case where I could not find the file anywhere.

Regardless of whether I check "use camera settings" or not, I find I must make sure that after I hit "render to file", that in the render dialog box that pops up, that BOTH the file type and file name/path are correct. If they aren't, I change it in that dialog before hitting OK. After that, it usually is ok. I still check, every time.

I believe most of the funnies happen the first time I try to render a new chor. But I believe I have had other rare funnies happen. There was one case where I could not find the file anywhere.

thats it exactly

and because it's random it's kinda no big deal ( i guess )

thats it exactly

and because it's random it's kinda no big deal ( i guess )

Well ... it is no big deal unless your image took 18 hours to render - and it didn't get saved to disk anywhere ...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this