Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My current problem

I've been stuck with the same probolem for years of A:M kicking me out to desktop once I render a 'complex' scene. I've tried everything that I can think of.

I need to really solve this problem and I need a robust solution or versatile workaround. I have no money to upgrade to a newer version, and I don't have money to get the latest bellsand whistles for my computer and I'm limited in time. It probably won't fix my problem in the end.

Sorry if this post sound like I'm venting, but I'm really desperate and after years and years spent into making models, the feeling that all my hard work can't be rendered apart from using the render lock (render marquee) using A:M's full potential is disheartening. I've relayed this problem some years ago to Rodney, and since then I had been working on ways during my spare time to come up with a solution but to no avail. Recently I've been futzing around with this same problem in my semester break but like the last time I cant come up with a proper solution.

It's 'only' version 14c, but the preview renders under the right settings, lighting and SSS is awesome. The reason I went back to A:M is I'm very familar with it and I've been using it for more than 10 years and it's actually very easy to use if everything goes smoothly. A:M's non-linear animating capabilities are very versatile, and I'm especially in love with the SmartSkin feature after digging around desperately for months and finding undocumented ways to actually use it real easy. I've posted about this if anyone can remember.

This may be all down to my limited computer resources. And this is what I'm getting at. I've tried rendering objects separately under the same settings and it does fine. Render marquee with all the objects in the chor is fine. But once I turn on the 'active' property under choreography for each and every one of the models and put them all together using the camera settings and lights and render and put the system under full render mode A:M kicks me out after a few minutes. So it has to be lack of resources.

My question is, is there a robust solution to render these objects separately or in any possible other way render separate passes as not to over-burden the systems resources resulting in me getting kicked out onto the desktop and ultimately composite it all back together? Or at least can someone in here point me into the right direction as to achieve similar solution. I remember some time a go that a studio used A:M to render for an advertisement and they mentioned rendering some of the elements separately (not sure which elements they are) to tackle down 'certain problems' and composite it back using After Effects.

If a solution prevails itself I will defintely be using A:M for my final animation project. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I have found, that mostly when I run into such kind of problems, I had internal patches somehow in my models.

Maybe its worthwhile checking that...

Thank you for responding so quickly.

Things render fine separately under the same light and render settings. The problem is when I put them together in one chor, 'turn everything on' so to speak, and after a few minutes of render I get kicked out.

Also I've checked my models they don't have internal patches that I can see. They are high in patch count I admit. I remember having to try like 20 to 30 times renders when I made the image contest and only one went through for some reason. That's the lowest possible setting I used with SSS.

...So it has to be lack of resources.

My question is, is there a robust solution to render these objects separately or in any possible other way render separate passes as not to over-burden the systems resources resulting in me getting kicked out onto the desktop and ultimately composite it all back together? Or at least can someone in here point me into the right direction as to achieve similar solution. I remember some time a go that a studio used A:M to render for an advertisement and they mentioned rendering some of the elements separately (not sure which elements they are) to tackle down 'certain problems' and composite it back using After Effects.

If a solution prevails itself I will defintely be using A:M for my final animation project. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

It really sounds like it could be related to a low memory issue. I remember 14c or so gave me a similar problem, using SSS. Or it could be an internal patch + memory issue.

If indeed you can render out parts of the scene separately, render them with an Alpha channel. This will make it easy to composite back together in AfterEffects. The pros do this all the time, even Pixar and such.

Sorry it's been so frustrating!

Ok I have to add somethng that may be of importance. The scene has a minimum of 9 lights in total. Each of the models is tied with a lightlist to at most 4 to 5 of these lights.

Only two of them have shadows. The rest are isolated lights with different settings. Each model renders shadows and accepts shadows. AO turned on for every model.

AO Setting 100%. SSS for the main model. Multipass 25. Minimum hair (for the lashes) the main character uses cookie cuts. This is the lowest setting that I use for render to file and seems to promise acceptable result except I get kicked out on the first pass mostly. Render marquee can of course go computationally more extensive than this.

If I render separately with higher settings there is absolutely no problem. I just need to find a way (or ways) to compose all the shadows and AO and SSS with each othr and background together and everything will be dandy.

...So it has to be lack of resources.

It really sounds like it could be related to a low memory issue. I remember 14c or so gave me a similar problem, using SSS. Or it could be an internal patch + memory issue.

If indeed you can render out parts of the scene separately, render them with an Alpha channel. This will make it easy to composite back together in AfterEffects. The pros do this all the time, even Pixar and such.

Sorry it's been so frustrating!

Thanks. Is it possible for me to render AO and/or SSS separately? I believe the last time I asked I can't remember the exact answer and it has been a long time, sorry but I remember looking into this but I came to a dead end but I can't remember exactly the details. Can you point me into the right direction? This is just a note, but I can't leave out the SSS as it makes the render 10 times better. Edit:

I've played around with lower res 800x600 and this is what I get. I remember now.

Animation_Master.jpg

I'm not sure if posting such images is allowed so please notify me if it's otherwise. Thanks.

It may be worth posting your system specs just to make sure its ok. But I'm fairly sure its a modeling thingy- you could consider posting the project so people can see- or at least some screen shots.

Okay. Don't know if this helps. It's not much because I still have some more work to do to make it to my portfolio because I don't know how they'll respond to such 'theme' so I haver to add more clothes and stuff or something like that. I'm embarrased to say this but if I can't get pass rendering the character with lesser clothes so it's less likely with more.

This is just an example some of the scene with minimum number of models to test for animation and if the render can work.

ScreenShots_001.jpg

ScreenShots_002.jpg

I still can't remove the duplicate phantom models for some reason. It has no relevance to my render problem though as a copy of an earlier cho with no duplicate problem didn't have the same render issues.

ScreenShots_003.jpg

ScreenShots_004.jpg

ScreenShots_005.jpg

ScreenShots_006.jpg

Old stuff for the image contest when I just upgraded to v14. I remember i had to render 20 to 30 and only one got through and I'm stuck with which I posted for the image contest.

ScreenShots_007.jpg

My computer spec. I use an onboard video card so that's where some of the memory goes.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

ComputerSpec.jpg

• Admin

Great to see you again Reza.

Sorry to hear of our problems but it's always great to see your high quality models again.

If it'll keep you visiting the forum... have more problems please!

Did you add a typo into your post here?:

I still can't remove the duplicate phantom models for some reason. It has no relevance to my render problem though as a copy of an earlier cho with no duplicate problem didn't have the same render issues.

The reason I ask is that if that is a true statement then it points to the duplicate phantom models as the problem.

If you meant to say that an earlier chor with no duplicate problem DID HAVE the same problem, that would be different.

(Hope that makes sense)

Also, for the record and to rule out another variable what format are you rendering out to? TGA?

How much free space do you have on your harddrive?

What are the size of your decals?

Exception #10 is an out of memory problem.

Back with v14 it often was related to SSS. The biggest problem I was having was that my models with SSS were "huge" - I had built them to life-sized scale within the program (my character was literally several meters tall in the program's units), and since SSS is physically based, it was sending the memory and render requirements through the roof.

Your character is VERY patch-heavy.

You can sort of render SSS separately by rendering elements that contain it apart from the rest of the scene.

Another thing your could try is render one without SSS, and another with SSS with very high half-extinction values - this will make a very waxy and soft render, but it renders with less memory and time and you can comp that translucently on top of the non-sss render to find a happy medium between the two.

And you can definitely render AO separately, that's done all the time in the pro world.

The best solution for your specs would be multiple layers to composite.

Jesse,

That's an interesting thought and that sounds as if it could be the problem.

In your case, if you scaled your model way down in size did it make any difference?

The problem was stabilized in later versions of the program, but the actual model - NOT the choreography instance, had to be scaled down. That was a pain but that's the only way "The Mountain" got rendered. =)

(and I added more ram too.)

• Admin
The problem was stabilized in later versions of the program, but the actual model - NOT the choreography instance, had to be scaled down. That was a pain but that's the only way "The Mountain" got rendered. =)

Interesting. I'll note to self on that.

I believe if you export a scaled down version of your model from the Chor that will scale everything in the exported .MDL file for you.

Sorry if that suggestion is a few years too late in your case but perhaps that could help Reza.

It'd be worth a shot and very easy to test the theory.

(Make sure you delete the ground plane and any other extraneous models before exporting)

Knowing Reza's desire for high quality I suspect its not just one but a combination of things.

I wouldn't think mesh would make a big difference but it might if there are large decals and other things thrown into the mix that suck up a lot of memory.

If it is a memory problem then I'll suggest shutting down any unnecessary programs while rendering (Photoshop, etc.).

• Hash Fellow

I haven't read this in detail but the key things I see are "v14" and "memory".

If this is a bug it won't get fixed in v14 since that is past. If it's still a bug in v16 you could submit the PRJ that does it and steffen woudl probably find the problem in no time.

But a lot has been fixed and changed already in v16 (and it's lots faster). I'm sure someone has suggested it already, but... move up to v16.

that aside, I see lots of lights. Are they z-buffered or ray traced? Whatever they are, have you tried the other?

When i have something that crashes a render I try removing items one by one until it works. Then I have some clue about what was causing the problem.

Great to see you again Reza.

Sorry to hear of our problems but it's always great to see your high quality models again.

If it'll keep you visiting the forum... have more problems please!

Thank you.

Did you add a typo into your post here?:

The reason I ask is that if that is a true statement then it points to the duplicate phantom models as the problem.

If you meant to say that an earlier chor with no duplicate problem DID HAVE the same problem, that would be different.

(Hope that makes sense)

Also, for the record and to rule out another variable what format are you rendering out to? TGA?

How much free space do you have on your harddrive?

What are the size of your decals?

That was a typo. The problem I had with the multiple phantom models was just 'recently'. The problem with the renders went back first when I upgraded to v14.

I have plenty of free space. 30 gigs.

I've tried downsampling the decals some time ago but the same problem persist.

Back with v14 it often was related to SSS. The biggest problem I was having was that my models with SSS were "huge" - I had built them to life-sized scale within the program (my character was literally several meters tall in the program's units), and since SSS is physically based, it was sending the memory and render requirements through the roof.

You can sort of render SSS separately by rendering elements that contain it apart from the rest of the scene.

Another thing your could try is render one without SSS, and another with SSS with very high half-extinction values - this will make a very waxy and soft render, but it renders with less memory and time and you can comp that translucently on top of the non-sss render to find a happy medium between the two.

And you can definitely render AO separately, that's done all the time in the pro world.

The models are of 'actual' size. The female is like 5' 10".

All of the rest is in relative proportion.

Now that you mentioned it I remember doing something with the SSS and comped it out in photoshop. I wasn't excited with the result though because I've seen render marquees of the actual SSS and it much much much better. It's just that once I see something I really liked I HAD to attain it again no matter what and render it to final and not settle for something less. I tried rendering it separately with the other models turned off and SSS turned on and it doesn't take that much time at all so I'm thinking I'm missing a lot. To me SSS is like a reward for my hard work.

I'll definitely look into rendering separate AO for animation. But for still I defintely want to go with the real SSS or none at all which I'm not that excited and feel less rewarded.

Interesting. I'll note to self on that.

I believe if you export a scaled down version of your model from the Chor that will scale everything in the exported .MDL file for you.

Sorry if that suggestion is a few years too late in your case but perhaps that could help Reza.

It'd be worth a shot and very easy to test the theory.

(Make sure you delete the ground plane and any other extraneous models before exporting)

Knowing Reza's desire for high quality I suspect its not just one but a combination of things.

I wouldn't think mesh would make a big difference but it might if there are large decals and other things thrown into the mix that suck up a lot of memory.

If it is a memory problem then I'll suggest shutting down any unnecessary programs while rendering (Photoshop, etc.).

I see you saw the screencap. :lol: But that was just me saving the screen cap of A:M. I turned off every other softwares too. Restarted the system, turned of antivirus, firewall, internet etc.

Rescaling down the model is a no-no for me. I've Smartskinned each and every possible bendable joints in the model on every possible angle, and if I rescale it in .cho or action

and export it back into .mdl the offset isn't the same. I know what to do next but it will definitely still take a lot of work. Also I've smartsinned the clothing and some other long sleeve garments too in relative with the same size, so I think it's too much work on top of it.

I haven't read this in detail but the key things I see are "v14" and "memory".

If this is a bug it won't get fixed in v14 since that is past. If it's still a bug in v16 you could submit the PRJ that does it and steffen woudl probably find the problem in no time.

But a lot has been fixed and changed already in v16 (and it's lots faster). I'm sure someone has suggested it already, but... move up to v16.

that aside, I see lots of lights. Are they z-buffered or ray traced? Whatever they are, have you tried the other?

When i have something that crashes a render I try removing items one by one until it works. Then I have some clue about what was causing the problem.

I have a little bit of problem with money as I have mentioned in my first post. I can't even register for this new semester for my art school because I have no money.

I'm trying to find a way to separately render objects and somehow composite it together. If I can render SSS separately like AO I can see it as a solution. But I guess not.

Only two of the lights render raytraced shadows one has 3 rays and and the other 4. The rest are positional rim lights with no shadows, some are only speculars. Some of them are tied to light lists of models, some are not. It's really is a minimum light setup. The rest is image based lighting.

At the moment I guess I can only work with my animation, but I still need stills. And thinking that SSS makes the renders much much better... I don't know, It's like it will not be complete.

This is really me but I can't show someone expecting something from my work but in the it ends up being sub par but at the same time I know it can be better.

Have you tried getting someone else to render it, say with a newer version like V15 or 16 and someone with more computer resources?

I've thought about this before so I guess I have to try this since I've run out of options. The problem is if I want to change something that has been saved in V16 I can't. Giving away my models that I've worked so hard is a great deal to me, but I know some people well enough in here that I can trust to give my models away. It's only that this is going to take a lot of their time and resources and I don't have enough money to offer in return. But the main problem is when I want to change stuff. Getting back and forth is a big problem and that takes a lot of time.

Also I live in a different timezone and don't have acces to the Internet all the time.

• Hash Fellow
I just noticed the thing about the duplicate phantom models.

If you just make a brand new blank PRJ, import that one model, drop it in a chor... and that creates a whole bunch of phantom models?

Yes.

Time to get out a text editor and find something weird. If you want to send it to me I'll look at it.

Have you tried getting someone else to render it, say with a newer version like V15 or 16 and someone with more computer resources?

This. I've thought about this before so I guess I have to try this since I've run out of options. The problem is if I want to change something that has been saved in V16 I can't. Giving away my models that I've worked so hard is a great deal to me, but I know some people well enough in here that I can trust to give my models away. It's only that this is going to take a lot of their time and resources and I don't have enough money to offer in return.

Just send the PRJ and proper folders to somebody, heck, maybe even hash would render it if you didn't want to entrust it to the public, cause I'm pretty sure I heard hash has a rendering farm or something or I've just forgotten my crazy meds again :P

If you just make a brand new blank PRJ, import that one model, drop it in a chor... and that creates a whole bunch of phantom models?

Yes.

Time to get out a text editor and find something weird. If you want to send it to me I'll look at it.

It's the cho with the platform shoe used. If I somehow use the shoe for the prop in a chor that was derived from an earlier .cho it duplicates itself many times with it's model's name in the same choreoraphy level.

cho with mutiple chor shoe duplicates 008.cho

cho with nameless phantom models TestSword_009.cho

The file has gotten bigger since I didn't remove the 'cache' instances the last time but it really didn't do anything other than getting the file size smaller. It will just be reduplicating itself again when I save the cho.

If I didn't use the platform shoe and use the boots instead there will be only 'phantom models' with no name. I tried removing the multiple "cache" instances of the shoe in a script editor but nothing happened. In the cho with the nameless phantom models I see multiple empty drivers but they are nested and it goes on with overlapping nests it gets confusing.

If the problem takes too muh time I'll have to setup them all over again. Takes time but I guess I have no option.

• Hash Fellow

Yes.

So the answer to this was really "no"?

If you just make a brand new blank PRJ (that means absolutely blank and new, not an old one)...

import that one model (just one)...

drop it in a chor (a new blank chor, not an old one)...

and that creates a whole bunch of phantom models?

Does it or doesn't it?

• Hash Fellow

I loaded 008.cho, cancelled out of all the files I didn't have, and deleted everything that didn't have a name and resaved it.

That gives this chor that loads and doesn't have numerous phantom objects, but appears to retain the desired models.

008x2.cho

If you load this , with your models, and you get the phantom folders back, then it's something about a model

The models are of 'actual' size. The female is like 5' 10".

All of the rest is in relative proportion.

Now that you mentioned it I remember doing something with the SSS and comped it out in photoshop. I wasn't excited with the result though because I've seen render marquees of the actual SSS and it much much much better. It's just that once I see something I really liked I HAD to attain it again no matter what and render it to final and not settle for something less. I tried rendering it separately with the other models turned off and SSS turned on and it doesn't take that much time at all so I'm thinking I'm missing a lot. To me SSS is like a reward for my hard work.

I'll definitely look into rendering separate AO for animation. But for still I defintely want to go with the real SSS or none at all which I'm not that excited and feel less rewarded.

The "actual size" model is what's killing your sss renders. I am 99% certain. Sss uses the physical size of your model in the calculations and needs more memory for a physically larger model. This may have been accomodatwd in later versions of am...sss was brand new. Def see about rendering on someone else's machine

.. Your work is gorgeously detailed and would be a shame to skimp on rendering. In the future, I recommend building at smaller scalws...am will be happier and your renders will often be quicker too. I learned that the hard way.Best of luck to you!

I've got good news and a little bit of bad news.

I've managed to borrow some money from my brother and sister to buy an A:M subscription.

Now for the bad news.

I've opened the file that you fixed and I've opened the models one by one and found the culprits. Two of them.

So what do I have to do to see what's the problem with the model?

I've removed the file from the cho and the problem of them duplicating didn't go away and the file is now over 1 mb.

• Hash Fellow

I'd open the model up in a text editor and first I'd look for something that looks like the problem

When i opened your chor the model folders had just a "drivers" folder and two constraints in them. I'd look for model tags that have that in them.

I've got good news and a little bit of bad news.

I've managed to borrow some money from my brother and sister to buy an A:M subscription.

Now for the bad news.

I've opened the file that you fixed and I've opened the models one by one and found the culprits. Two of them.

I've removed the file from the cho and the problem of them duplicating didn't go away and the file is now over 1 mb.

You will also have to inspect and "clean" any & all files that are referenced by the chor (except images) - eg the proj, chor, any materials, actions, etc - until the problem is gone.

I'd open the model up in a text editor and first I'd look for something that looks like the problem

When i opened your chor the model folders had just a "drivers" folder and two constraints in them. I'd look for model tags that have that in them.

What did you delete in the cho file?

I've deleted a bunch of Modelshortcut tag pointing to the shoe in two of the models that I had found to be the culprit.

Then I loaded it into the cho file that you fixed. But this time (after I deleted shortcuts in two models like I said above) it loads withthout the shoes' name, and it can be deleted without kicking me out. So it's a little bit of progress. Before I deleted the shortcuts it would load dozens of phantom models with the name, and it A:M would kick me out if I try to delete it.

About the SSS rendering the test scene using the A:M 15 it didn't give me problems, period and it passed a few passes. But I haven't try rendering it over a thousand pixels in WxH yet and higer number of passes yet.

SSS is slower than in v14, but other render options are noticeably faster.

• Hash Fellow

In A:M I just selected all the phantom folders and things that looked weird and hit delete and resaved under a new name.

Never save new versions onto old filenames. Save all your old files so if something really odd happens it's easy to go back to when everything worked and compare and see what changed.

In A:M I just selected all the phantom folders and things that looked weird and hit delete and resaved under a new name.

Never save new versions onto old filenames. Save all your old files so if something really odd happens it's easy to go back to when everything worked and compare and see what changed.

Thank you for helping me out and thanks to everyone else too.

I've opened the file in a script editor and there are alot of nested emptydrivers that are too confusing. I guess I just have to start over and copy paste all the keyframes of the models in the cho files since it would take less time I reckon than rummaging through codes. At least I've removed the modelshortcut parameters in the models. Nasty bug...

About the v16. Anyone has any problems with weird athefacts when rendering? I had the same problem with v15 but it went away after I saved it in another copy and reloaded the project. But in v16 it didn't work. The models were all glowing in purplish green and stuff with random thick black lines. But when I reloaded the v15 version of the models they

render fine.

Anyone experience this?

• Hash Fellow
The models were all glowing in purplish green and stuff with random thick black lines. But when I reloaded the v15 version of the models they

render fine.

Anyone experience this?

Everything does that in V16? Everything? I've never had anything like that.

Post an example PRJ that does that so we can see what's wrong.

An update. Tried the last time and solved the phantom model problems.

They're stuff between the

tag in the model file.

These are that contains multiple duplicate cache lines. So when the models loads it puts in a choreography tree.

Everything does that in V16? Everything? I've never had anything like that.

Post an example PRJ that does that so we can see what's wrong.

I rechecked it again and it was my mistake if selecting the cho. Easy to make a mistake since there are may versions of chos and models. It's like half past 1 am here and hadn't have enough sleep.

Resaved them all with a with a "v16". So no proeblems anymore, for now.

Thank you for the help.

Errrr....

My TSM rigged model in MOST of my cho files aren't working in v15 and v16. They all work in v14 but a small percentage only works in v15 and v16.

I selected my TSM2 rigged model in a cho and the control bones and the pose sliders aren't showing...

Weird....

All of the mode buttons and mode related functions of the except for the choreography mode button doesn't work when I select the model. Even selecting any bones in the PWS tree of the model it's not showing.

Resaved the cho file and the TSM2 rigged model in v16 and it didn't work...

Anyone experienced this before?

Errrr....

My TSM rigged model in MOST of my cho files aren't working in v15 and v16. They all work in v14 but a small percentage only works in v15 and v16.

I selected my TSM2 rigged model in a cho and the control bones and the pose sliders aren't showing...

Weird....

All of the mode buttons and mode related functions of the except for the choreography mode button doesn't work when I select the model. Even selecting any bones in the PWS tree of the model it's not showing.

Resaved the cho file and the TSM2 rigged model in v16 and it didn't work...

Anyone experienced this before?

Whenever I run into extremely strange behavior, I first try rebooting. If that doesn't fix it, I try a clean install...which is very rare.

Hope that helps.

Look through every pose folder under the model in the folder. Find any channels that exist for the Model Bone and delete them.

We had some similar problems with models in Scarecrow of Oz with models rigged in earlier versions of A:M. It turns out there were a few poses in which the model bone was hidden. When we removed those channels, everything worked properly again.

Look through every pose folder under the model in the folder. Find any channels that exist for the Model Bone and delete them.

We had some similar problems with models in Scarecrow of Oz with models rigged in earlier versions of A:M. It turns out there were a few poses in which the model bone was hidden. When we removed those channels, everything worked properly again.

Ya found it and it's fine now. Thanks!

Now the aim at constraint for a camera in the choreography doesn't work. It does nothing when I applied the constraint.

Tested with a fresh choreography and it doesn't work too.

Any type of model or nulls doesn't work. Reloaded, resaved all available files and restarted the program and it doesn't work.

Anyone has similar problems?