Hash, Inc. Forums
bobkoonce

Why? Broken links

I have been looking at a load of tutorials for animation master, it has been discouraging to see that there are more links that are broken then there are ones that are active, why is this? My number one thought is that the individuals that created the tutorial have removed their presence on the web and that there are less individuals posting new tutorials, if and when I get more knowledgeable in this software I will be posting some tutorials for others especially for the beginner. Is there any more thoughts on this matter?

Bob

Hi Bob- I can't say much about the broken links but Will Sutton has his own YouTube channel with some great tutorials on modeling, decaling and cp weighting, and they're all still there, I just checked! I recommend them all.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zandoria

I would also recommend alerting a moderator when you find a broken link. That's probably the best way to fix or delete these things.

Many very old links got broken when the hosting of this forum changed servers in some way.

Many old web sites are forgotten and allowed to lapse by their original makers but they can often be retrieved using the wayback machine at Archive.org

My assessment: Eventually all internet links break when they aren't supported.

This isn't a rule that is limited to A:M links.

The rule of thumb is that private links break at a faster pace than corporate links.

This is because corporations/businesses have a vested interest in maintaining those links and that interest will often sustain them for longer periods.

The same generally is not true of private links. (Most links here in the forum are private links)

I equate the early years of the internet age with the advent of photography and film.

In both, vast sums of inventory disappear never to be seen again.

Interestingly enough, the most effectively reliable means of preservation for these otherwise inevitably-obsolete digital resources; theft and piracy (or simply sharing the resource with others).

Go figure.

If you have a particular tutorial in mind let others know.

There is a good possibility someone has saved that resource as a personal reference.

They may even be able and willing to share it.

Thanks for the quick responses folks.

P.S. can anyone tell me how I can post this topic or any other topic as solved?

Bob

Edited by bobkoonce

P.S. can anyone tell me how I can post this topic or any other topic as solved?

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to edit your first post and change the topic title/subtitle.

If not... an Admin can add the subtitle for you.

Can't seem to figure out how to edit the title/topic in the post, so I guess an Admin will have to do the honors.

Can't seem to figure out how to edit the title/topic in the post, so I guess an Admin will have to do the honors.

If you edit your first post you can change a title

Well I went up to my 1st post and chose Full and Quick edit, neither one had the option to change title/topic.

If you don't have this you may need to be over some number of posts.

titleEdit.JPG

I thought it was 100 or 200 but if DJBREIT doesn't have it yet maybe it's something else that enables it.

You are wearing your A:M hat, right?

Thanks for the help, what was the issue?

The fragmatic corpolator was disinfracted from the right topical permative.

...or the forum permissions for editing topic titles were not properly set.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.