Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

MakerBot Thing-O-Matic - 3D Printer

agep

Hi guys

I recently bought a new toy, an open source 3D printer from www.makerbot.com

The device came as a kit, and I had to teach myself basic soldering (there was a few times where I had to solder). It took me about five days to build the kit. The printer prints using ABS Plasticfilament, which is cheap and very sturdy. ABS is the same material that legos are made of. The resolution of the printer is between 0.2mm and 0.35mm layer thickness, depending on how it is calibrated. I use the .OBJ export plugin in A:M, import the .OBJ into a second software to have it exported as .STL.

I have attached photos of a few prints and the building process. I have also attached a link to a timelapse of the printer in action.

DSC00195.JPG DSC00196.JPG

The building:

IMG_3000.JPG IMG_3039.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3126.JPG IMG_3139.JPG

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how big is the biggest thing you can make?

It can print 4"x4"x6"

that's very cool agep...did you use a 3d character jet?...
All the prints you see are 3D models. I have not printed a whole character yet, but I did print a bust for a friend that came out very nice. There is a few limits, especially when the model has a steep overhang, though this can be fixed by printing support structures that you cut away afterwards

My first impression from your photos was that you had to use the cardboard box it came in as the cabinet :rolleyes: .
Yeah. Actually it is lasercut plywood (I had to clean the ash of it while building :) ). But since it is open source you can download the drawings and cut them out in whatever material you want, metal or something. And if you already have a printer, you can print the body of a new one (in many pieces though)

Cool, now you have your own toysfactory at home.

I wonder why HP, Canon, Epson or Xerox don`t offer something like that?

OPEN SOURCE will take over the world. Those corporate CEOs want only profits, but the real money maker is all of the individuals in the world who think, create and innovate what we need for tomorrow.

Is there any evidence of shrinking or curling in the printed parts?
It has happened a few times at the bottom of the model. But the build platform is heated (110c) to prevent that

DSC00196.JPG
I'm curious about the cathedral print. Was the square backing necessary or something you chose to add?
There is a few rules that apply when you do a print. The model has to be solid, no holes, eg an A:M sphere wont do it, because of the holes on the top and the bottom. Though, you can intersect two solid objects, like two cube primitives but the internal toolpath of the print might get a bit complex. Since the cathedral model consists of many non solid models I just rendered a depthmap which I the ran through an application that converts the map to a toolpath. Think of it like a displacementmap on a plane

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stian - I've been doing some further research on this and other 3D printers and it appears there are several companies making them. the MakerBot appears to be the least expensive and I have some ideas I'd like to take further, using a 3D printer. So I have some questions!

How smooth are the finished parts? It's hard to tell from the photos on their website. They look a little rough, especially compared to some other printers, but it's hard to tell. Several users have printed and built models that use gears so I'm thinking they must be smoother than the photos look. Can't really tell though.

Can the parts be sanded/drilled/painted? I've used Sculpy, a synthetic clay that bakes into a hard plastic and can be worked with this way, but other than actual Legos I have no way to compare what the MakerBot's end products are like.

Could you possibly send me a part you've printed? I can pay for shipping and whatever else you would need but I would like to actually hold a part in my hands to get a better idea.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: What additional software/hardware is needed to convert an A:M model into a printable format?

• Hash Fellow
The resolution of the printer is between 0.2mm and 0.35mm layer thickness, depending on how it is calibrated.

There do seem to be visible lines to it, but it's impressive that it can control hot melted plastic at all.

Hi guys

The resolution is between 0.2mm to 0.35mm depending on how well it is calibrated. At the moment I export .obj models from A:M which I convert to .stl in another software. I believe they are experimenting in using .obj files in the makerbot software, so I might not need a second software to convert to .stl in in the future.

Since the printer is laying down layers of plastic, the layers are visible, but it is possible to sand it to get a smooth surface

Hi guys

The resolution is between 0.2mm to 0.35mm depending on how well it is calibrated. At the moment I export .obj models from A:M which I convert to .stl in another software. I believe they are experimenting in using .obj files in the makerbot software, so I might not need a second software to convert to .stl in in the future.

Since the printer is laying down layers of plastic, the layers are visible, but it is possible to sand it to get a smooth surface

HI Stian-

What's the additional software to convert to .stl? And is it possible to send me something you've printed? Write me at gerrymooney(at)earthlink(dot)net.

What's the additional software to convert to .stl? And is it possible to send me something you've printed? Write me at gerrymooney(at)earthlink(dot)net.
I have sent you an email.

Stian- this is a great topic! I wasn't aware that we can already get 3D printers in affordable price!

I'm very interested in this subject. Couple of months ago I helped testing couple of different 3D printers (with different technologies). I made a model of a forest-goblin and then we printed it out with 3 different 3D printers- means 3 entirely different 3D print technologies: coloured model was made with kind of gypsium-like powder, another one was plastic and the smallest one was wax (that one was incredible precize- but unfortunately very fragile).

You can find article here:

http://www.monitor.si/clanek/kako-izdelati...-mavcne-skrate/

Unfortunately it's in Slovene language, but with a little help of Google translate you will be able to understand basics (when choosing a language in Google translate, don't mix Slovene language with Slovakian language!).

And here is an article how I made that goblin (in Zbrush).

http://www.monitor.si/clanek/nova-razseznost-modeliranja/

I made similar article couple of years back, using a basic model made in A:M (Then I exported model with UV maps from A:M to Zbrush and convert bump maps to actual geometry):

http://www.monitor.si/clanek/kako-skrata-s...iz-racunalnika/

.... (Then I exported model with UV maps from A:M to Zbrush and convert bump maps to actual geometry):

You used to be able to convert displacement maps to geometry in A:M. Export to AV2 or PLY. But I haven't tried it in many years, so it may not be possible anymore.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a program that can open PLY files exported from A:M. I think they complained that A:M's ply files did not have the proper headers. The workaround is to open the ply/AV2 model in AM and export to obj.

Which model used wax?

The blue one, which is a little bigger than a thumb nail.

The level of details in this technique is incredible. Unfortunately the model is extremely fragile. It suppose to be used as a mold (for fine things line jewelry) right after it came from printer. I have my copy here with me in a small box, but it decayed in couple of days even though I didn't even touch it.

Interesting that you can do that out of ZBrush, I was looking at 3d coat and Mudbox. Didn't know you can convert the displacement mapping down to polys from ZBrush.

I don't have experiences with 3d coat. From what I read it has much better UI (Which is very important, because UI of ZBrush was made by Martians), but it is not production proven as Zbrush.

You can export model (with UV maps) from A:M. In Zbrush you must subdivide your model to literary milions of polygons. Then you can use grayscale bump map as a Mask and transfer all those fine detail into polygons (means no displacement maps- for 3D printing you must use real geometry).

You used to be able to convert displacement maps to geometry in A:M. Export to AV2 or PLY. But I haven't tried it in many years, so it may not be possible anymore.

I believe that was possible before A:M got an option for pixel-displacement. The old way (I believe before version 10.) to handle displacement maps was to subdivide each patch into 16 smaller patches and move the points regarding the value of the grayscale map. The level of details was, of course, much smaller back then, but this method was useful for many other things. It would be good to have both options.

.... (Then I exported model with UV maps from A:M to Zbrush and convert bump maps to actual geometry):

Unfortunately, I haven't found a program that can open PLY files exported from A:M. I think they complained that A:M's ply files did not have the proper headers. The workaround is to open the ply/AV2 model in AM and export to obj.

Blender can import ply files, I do have the newest stable version installed if you want me to test anything.

Can't import the ply file because it says I don't have the full version of python installed and the program hangs... typical open source.

Also tried to open it in ultimate unwrap but the plug in for that seems to be broken. You would think that people would check this stuff before crapping it out on the internet. Amazes me how things like that go untested, do they draft out the software with fat crayons?

Here is a bunny model in ply format (I think)

ftp://graphics.stanford.edu/pub/3Dscanrep/bunny.tar.gz

from the Stanford 3D scanning repository

http://graphics.stanford.edu/data/3Dscanrep/

Those guys should have bona fide guaranteed ply files.

Try to open it in UUnwrap. If it still gives you problems, then it is definitely a problem with the plugin in UUnwrap.

I remember the ply importer working in Blender 32 bit version because I had exported ply from AM to Blender to make an stl. I only have the 64 bit version of Blender installed and it is loaded with bugs, lots of obvious stuff broken including space mouse support which makes it virtually unusable because of the keyboard input causes the scene to roll horribly when navigating around objects.

I emailed UU3d and am guessing that the plug is only 32 bit and probably the reason it is broken.

What has worked for me in the past with complex objects from am is to export a faceted dxf and then use an average weld to merge the faces together.

Is there a reason to use PLY instead of OBJ?

From what I understand, PLY was inspired by the obj format, but ply was developed to handle extremely high density meshes, such as those created from high resolution 3D scanners and such. For our purposes though, I imagine OBJ is just fine.

I was just wondering if it was still possible to export an A:M model with a displacement map into PLY and get the displacement baked into the model as actual geometry.

Do you have a test ply file I can try to open? I exported one from AM and was able to import it back in which means AM ply i/o works but the ply file had no header when I tried to bring it into UU3d.

I went to stanfords site and downloaded a file of a horse and was unable to import that in either AM or UU3d which makes me believe that the UU3d plug in might be faulty which is being checked out now and that AM's ply isn't making a real ply file.

Anyways it would be really nice if you could bake a displacement map and export it as geometry. This would allow people to paint details onto objects and be able to make real models from them.

• Hash Fellow
I was just wondering if it was still possible to export an A:M model with a displacement map into PLY and get the displacement baked into the model as actual geometry.

I just tried the nearest test case i had. It does, sort of...

the top left is the wire frame of the A:M model, the top right is with the displacement map rendered, the bottom is the result after export to PLY with x16 chosen.

There is displacement in the new mesh but it also introduced a strange radial bump pattern in addition to that.

PLY_exportTest.JPG