Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Multiple 'Phantom' Model Instances in Project Workspace Tree

genocell

Hi guys,

Been on a hiatus because I was very busy with art school. I got a 1 week break so I might as well continue the work that I had previously put on hold...

I had a nagging problem with some cho files having these nameless 'phantom' models in the Project Workspace three under the Choreographies 'branch'. They're not inside the choreographies, but they have the same hierarchy level with the chor files but they just came out of nowhere and seem to procreate themselves each time I save the chor.

This is what I'm talking about.

PhantomModels.jpg

And this is the .cho file in question

004.cho

The linked model files of the .cho were intentionally left out and the result would be the same either way, just to show that the problem didn't origonate from any of the linked files. I've tried opening the .cho file in a script editor and managed to track down and delete some of the duplicate "Cache=..|..|..|Objects|" lines but some of them still managed to pop themselves up when I open the cho. I would appreciate if anyone in here can help me with this.

Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Glancing at it briefly they all seem to be a vestige of some sort of constraint. They all constrain a "1 left foot" to "1 left foot" and likewise for "1 right foot"

Odd

I notice most of the items in Chor 004 do not have "Shortcut to" in their names. Did that just happen or did you rename them to exclude the "Shortcut to" part?

It reminds me of Ye Olde Empty Driver issue. I can't remember what A:M versions it affected or when it was fixed.

If your problem is related to that issue, then all the models, materials, actions, and possibly everything else but images that were in the project are also corrupted. If I remember correctly, the contagion can spread too. If you import an affected model into a clean project, all the other assets in the project will get corrupted. It was a rather nasty bug.

The fix was to open every single asset in a text editor such as PSPad, Notepad++, or Textmate and remove all instances of DRIVER>. I'm a little fuzzy on the details. Hopefully someone will correct any misinformation I'm giving.

Even if it is not related to the empty driver issue, if you open the file in one of the above mentioned text editors, you will see a bunch of identical entries. Make a copy of your project/chor, then delete all those identical entries, then open it up in A:M and see if they are gone.

It reminds me of Ye Olde Empty Driver issue.

The fix was to open every single asset in a text editor such as PSPad, Notepad++, or Textmate and remove all instances of DRIVER>.

It reminds me of Ye Olde Empty Rotoscope issue

The fix was to open every asset in text editor and remove all empty instances of .

I've never seen the phantom model issue before this post.

Glancing at it briefly they all seem to be a vestige of some sort of constraint. They all constrain a "1 left foot" to "1 left foot" and likewise for "1 right foot"

Odd

I notice most of the items in Chor 004 do not have "Shortcut to" in their names. Did that just happen or did you rename them to exclude the "Shortcut to" part?

I think those are for a shoe model I constrained the model with. Somehow there was a bunch of them popping up sitting in between the phantom models but I removed them in a text editor.

I renamed them and excluded the "Shortcut to".

It reminds me of Ye Olde Empty Driver issue. I can't remember what A:M versions it affected or when it was fixed.

If your problem is related to that issue, then all the models, materials, actions, and possibly everything else but images that were in the project are also corrupted. If I remember correctly, the contagion can spread too. If you import an affected model into a clean project, all the other assets in the project will get corrupted. It was a rather nasty bug.

The fix was to open every single asset in a text editor such as PSPad, Notepad++, or Textmate and remove all instances of DRIVER>. I'm a little fuzzy on the details. Hopefully someone will correct any misinformation I'm giving.

Even if it is not related to the empty driver issue, if you open the file in one of the above mentioned text editors, you will see a bunch of identical entries. Make a copy of your project/chor, then delete all those identical entries, then open it up in A:M and see if they are gone.

This is exactly what happened before this. I had many chor files with similar problems but I've put them through a batch text replacer and removed some of the duplicate instances of models and rotoscopes before the chor branch but I can't pin down the 'phantom models'

Thanks. The DRIVER> seems to be it.

It reminds me of Ye Olde Empty Driver issue.

The fix was to open every single asset in a text editor such as PSPad, Notepad++, or Textmate and remove all instances of DRIVER>.

It reminds me of Ye Olde Empty Rotoscope issue

The fix was to open every asset in text editor and remove all empty instances of .

I've never seen the phantom model issue before this post.

I had problems with this one before this and managed to remove them. Didn't know which tags to look for the phantom models though.

Thank you HomeSlice, robcat and Nancy. I'll try and mess with the file a bit more now that I have a lead.

Anyone in here knows of a free script editor that can find and replace specified tags and stuff between tags automatically? Can't seem to find any.

The file has some nested tags and it's confusing. Also some of my other cho files are getting worse with the duplicate models on the choreography branch. Seems like when I import that particular model it duplicates itself up at the same cho level at a very alarming rate.

Anyone in here knows of a free script editor that can find and replace specified tags and stuff between tags automatically? Can't seem to find any.

The file has some nested tags and it's confusing. Also some of my other cho files are getting worse with the duplicate models on the choreography branch. Seems like when I import that particular model it duplicates itself up at the same cho level at a very alarming rate.

jEdit is capable if you make a macro for the job.

jEdit is capable if you make a macro for the job.

Thanks.

Also PSPad and NotePad++ can do it, but to do anything more than simple copy/replace of known text, you have to have at least a little knowledge of regular expressions.

PSPad

http://www.pspad.com/

NotePad++

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

http://npp-community.tuxfamily.org/documen...ching/replacing