Hash, Inc. Forums

chor. with 2 cameras

Greetings all.

Well new question.

I have a model (space station) 2 ships approach and go inside. It renders a 3 sec clip in say 45 min.

Then I created a second chor. and placed the camera inside the station to view them as the ships come inside.

Wants to render in like 10 hours??????

so took the original chor. and placed the camera inside and tried again, still wants to render the final 25 frames in like 5 hours.

The station has a decal on it and is smaller in the original chor. but when inside the station the decal is huge. Would that have a difference on the render time?

I just don't understand why the inside shot takes longer to render than the outside shot.

Any ideas?

• Hash Fellow

The interior shot probably has less camera background in it and camera background takes almost no time to render. that's one reason.

However I'm gong to guess some unnecessary shadow rendering is at work too. Is there some exterior light that doesn't contribute to the interior view that could be turned off?

In general ray traced lights render shadows slower than z-buffered lights (an option for Kleig lights)

The interior shot probably has less camera background in it and camera background takes almost no time to render. that's one reason.

However I'm gong to guess some unnecessary shadow rendering is at work too. Is there some exterior light that doesn't contribute to the interior view that could be turned off?

In general ray traced lights render shadows slower than z-buffered lights (an option for Kleig lights)

I guess, that the second camera is much nearer to the patches than the first one, right? That will increase the rendertimes, because A:M has to calculate at a much higher accuracy...

See you

*Fuchur*

You both are correct, there is interior lights.

The interior has two lights and the camera is seeing more interior than anything else.

attached is shot of the inside of the station with the decal.

So since you are both correct any suggestions on what to do?

ScreenSnapz1.jpg

That should render fairly quickly...

How large an image are you rendering?

What kind of materials do you have on the ships?

Do you have any volumetric lighting?

Particles?

Displacement Maps?

Does the glass on the space ships have an Index of Refraction?

Are you using Raytraced shadows? How many shadow rays are being cast?

All these have a big impact on render time.