Hash, Inc. Forums

My first Animation Short

Pinballwzd

• Admin

Bravo. That was great.

IMO a little more polish texure and lighting-wise and that would be award winning material.

Already may be depending on where you'd submit it.

From start to finish you put in a lot of great details and the music selection fits wonderfully.

(Not sure about issues with the music rights if you plan to push it further)

***SPOILERS!!! Select text below to reveal***

My only crit would be that the fluid inside the aliens helmet should be fairly transparent.

Okay... that an a suggestion...

If you could hide every clue about the fish (except the fish showing up in the aliens eye at the beginning) it'll heighten the payoff at the end. (i.e. don't mention a fish in the introductory credits. Perhaps... "and introducing Sam... as himself( i.e. fishes name here)"

Absolutely control the timing of your most important reveals.

I think I'll go watch that again. :)

Four months with A:M... need I say... outstanding. :)

Please tell us more about this project and it's genesis.

Can you reveal any plans for your follow up to that?

Thanks everyone.. I have lots of fun making this one and although the learning curve was steep, I am ready to keep on learning.

After seeing a lot of the work posted here on the AM forums, I am quite motivated to keep on going.

To give you a bit of history, I have been working for quite some time with vector graphics, re-drawing graphic artwork for pinball machines using photoshop and illustrator.

I have always enjoyed animation but my favorate style would have to be stop motion animation from the 60-70's.

I decided to take a night school class on animation/3d modeling and do not regret a minute of it. My instructor was great and I learned a lot.

I plan on taking a Maya class next.

I would like to re-model my alien character, improving on the mesh, texturing and weighting. I like the design but it could be so much better and with time, it will.

To follow up, I would like to continue with the adventures of Sam and Bob. The characters are rich with personality and contrasting elements. I could do a lot with them. I plan on a series of animations telling stories of their vacations together. Possibly the next one being them visiting a Pyramid in Egypt.

I totally agree with your comments Rodney and do appreciate them. I never thought of that the credits as "tipping my hat", as it were.

David...

• Admin

Thanks for the background and preview of the future.

I think you've got something great going here.

You may already have some of these skills but if you can take a class on lighting and texturing (or make it an area of focus) that'll catapult you into the major league of animated shorts.

You've got the momentum going. Keep up the pace.

Thanks for the background and preview of the future.

I think you've got something great going here.

You may already have some of these skills but if you can take a class on lighting and texturing (or make it an area of focus) that'll catapult you into the major league of animated shorts.

You've got the momentum going. Keep up the pace.

Do you have any recommendations to online tutorials on the above subjects ?

Individuals or websites that are worth exploring ?

Thanks!