Hash, Inc. Forums

4-6-4 Steam Locomotive & Tender

• 1 month later...

Incredible welldone model!!!

The only thing , that gives it away as a 3D model is the dryness of the wheelgear, where in realworld would be some oil visible.

But as technology is evolving, you might be able to add that some time in the future.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words.

...gives it away as a 3D model is the dryness of the wheelgear, where in real world would be some oil visible. But as technology is evolving, you might be able to add that some time in the future

It's not so much a question of technology, just a texture choice. As shown in the attached image, there are a few subtle grease runs on some of the components. If I cranked up the specular size and reflectivity of these attributes in JF6_paint_black_greasy.mat and increased their amplitude I could probably get closer to the look your suggesting. I was trying for the appearance of something that at one time had a nice layer of lubricant but that was hundreds of miles(kilometers) ago, so now fine dirt has caked into the oil leaving only a few darker wet spots.

I don't know how you have the patience...

At the risk of sounding like some motivational speaker, you've just got to want it badly enough.

loco_grease.jpg

Is this rigged yet?

Has been for over a year. First I modeled only the moving parts and even before generating rotoscopes for the rest I added bones (see image) and completed the one revolution "walk" cycle action which you can see in post #4 of this thread from March of last year. (No point in finishing a locomotive that can't do the "locomotion".) The stationary parts are a separate model that is added as an Action Object because finding patches and aligning normals of the 47000+ patches of the moving parts model on a 10 year old PC can really test your patience.

loco_bones.jpg

Rodger, it warms my heart that you are still doing this kind of thing. I haven't had a chance to use A:M in years, but knowing you're still chugging away at these awesome trains is pretty great.

Nice paint shader, BTW.

Good to see you guys too :)

Rodger: another compliment I wanted to pay you - I like that you add a bit of wobble to your panels with a bump map. Makes for interesting highlights, and keeps things looking hand-made.

I think you've been doing that for a while though. At any rate, it still works. I almost never render anything without adding some low-frequency bump wobble to the surface.

• 1 month later...
I haven't had a chance to use A:M in years, but knowing you're still chugging away at these awesome trains is pretty great.

Thanks Brian. It's good to hear from you; a reminder of times when Hash was a going concern.

Nice paint shader, BTW

Hey, I learned from the best...you. I regularly open up Eggprops' Metals One and Metals Two to look for pointers.

We should pass the hat and get you a new (or at least newer) PC!

It's been in the budget for some time but I'm waiting to see if AMD's new "Bulldozer" meets expectations. I've always bought AMDs and would only go Intel if Bulldozer's performance is truly underwhelming.

I would love to see you test the train model on the new Railroad Crossing HDRI

So would I, Stian, but I'm still using v13. I have the FedEx notice that my v16 DVD is in town. Unfortunately my optical drive only reads CDs so no v16 until I upgrade all my hardware (see above). I will definitely keep it in mind though. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
So would I, Stian, but I'm still using v13. I have the FedEx notice that my v16 DVD is in town. Unfortunately my optical drive only reads CDs so no v16 until I upgrade all my hardware (see above). I will definitely keep it in mind though. Thanks.

You won't need to install from a disc, Rodger...I don't think there was an actual installation disc included in the package I got. I just downloaded the latest v16, installed it, plugged in the serial number I was provided (while online...registration needs it) and I was in business.