Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New Features

bobkoonce

Hello,

Didn't know where to put this question so here it is. I have v12 of A:M, I am thinking of upgrading to v15, where would I get a complete listing of the features that have either been improved or added?

Thanks in advance,

Bob K

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Bob!

It's been years since TaoA:M!

I don't think v15 is available but you can move into v16.

If you were a new buyer I'd be pointing you to here: Build Your Own Features with A:M

Looks like I need to update that for resubscribers every year.

If you are upgrading from v12 (has it really been that long? Impossible I say!) with the exception of all the spline-based tools you've grown to love it's safe to say 'everything has changed'.

Perhaps the biggest change here in v16 is that we've got Netrender running with A:M. Now organizing and scheduling batches of renderings is really easy!

..and speed of rendering is impressively improved (most report double speeds) even without Netrender on 32bit/64bit machines.

The vast majority of Steffen Gross's plugins have been incorporated into v16. (So you don't have to be concerned with others you are working with not having all the same installed plugins and wizards).

For you the $79 subscription will be new as well. (I recall that started with v13?)

While you can still buy the CD ($299) the subscription route provides access to the same program with the additions, enhancements and accumulated features.

Can't wait to hear what you've been up to lately.

It's great to see you.

A:M has advanced LIGHTYEARS from version 12... but the BEST thing is that it is the same old program... if you knew 12, you'll know 16- the graceful workflow has not been tampered with... BUUUT, features features features... where does one start? Sub-Surface-Scattering, MatCap Shaders, Fast Ambient Occlusion(3rd party purchase) SimCloth, Newton Dynamics, The 'Hair' feature was rewritten for V13 and is now spectacular, EXR and PNG buffer outputs, A:M Composite, Multipass Rendering... to name but a few, and ALSO a BIG benefit to users is the $80 subscription...opinions vary- but I think it is very fair price for 1 years worth of usage (with the $300 purchase option still available.)

Things are good in Hash-Land, we just need more users like yourself, so WELCOME BACK!

ALSO a BIG benefit to users is the $80 subscription...opinions vary- but I think it is very fair price for 1 years worth of usage

Things are good in Hash-Land

The subscription change is one of the primary reasons why I have been learning a new 3D application in recent months. I may resubscribe this year, just until I'm comfortable with the new program, but after that, I think I'm gone for good. I've been a long-time user, and big fan of the software. But the subscription fee, the render engine, and the censorship on this forum have pushed me over the edge. I think Martin would have been much better off by simply letting folks discuss the software's imperfections. The oppressive nature of the Hash leadership was a big turn-off. For me, things are not good in Hash land.

I bet this gets deleted.

Rodney, thanks for your help over the years.

The subscription change is one of the primary reasons why I have been learning a new 3D application in recent months. I may resubscribe this year, just until I'm comfortable with the new program, but after that, I think I'm gone for good. I've been a long-time user, and big fan of the software. But the subscription fee, the render engine, and the censorship on this forum have pushed me over the edge. I think Martin would have been much better off by simply letting folks discuss the software's imperfections. The oppressive nature of the Hash leadership was a big turn-off. For me, things are not good in Hash land.

I bet this gets deleted.

Well, I guess you can't please everyone.

I have used a few of those "other" programs, and as far as I am concerned, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Deletemoderation is much less today... I like it this way better too. Subscription is not your only option and so it is less expensive you can buy the cd version still... If you can afford other software i am quite sure you can afford A:M 5-10 times...

I used xsi, A:M and max in professional projects too and if you know what you r doing you can get stunning stuff out of mental ray and a:ms renderer... Ever used hdri in AM? Or Exr buffers etc as most other guys do with other software?

And since autodesk bought the big three... Do you think everything is great in polyworld?

Since you r here... Something was great and you r missing something right?

Otherwise why r you here? If you want to start over with am u r more than welcome... If not i hope u found ur software of choice...

See u

*Fuchur*

Well hi folks,

I'm am amazed at how some of you remember me from long ago, (long long ago), I wish I had that sort of remembrance.

Thanks for the welcoming and the input on the new features from v12 to v16, so am I to under stand that they included Netrender with the new update? WOW that would be worth the upgrade it's self!

Haven't been up to much since I got back from the Hash Bash where my wife and I meant some of you, is that still going on ? Had a great time.

Finally reinstalled some of the 3d stuff I have and are getting back into learning mode again, it's going to be a long road in learning this stuff, I think the last project I did was the ball squash in Boot Camp, like I said a long road to learning 3d.

What are some of you talking about as far as a subscription, not sure what this is, I thought there was always one but maybe that was membership, I do know that I had updated from v11 to v12 for under $100?

Thanks for the input,

Bob K

well...unlike Atomike I'm happy in Hash land, after 10 years I'm still here... of course I had already tested another softwares.. but the facility and simplicity of A:M is amazing. Thanks Hash team to give me the oportunity to transform my dreams in images/animations.

I once left this forum, not of my own choice- I was kicked off by the moderator.

I wrote a half-hearted 'I'm sorry' and asked to be allowed back in- and promptly was. I re-read the forum guidelines and realized I was in wrong. There 'used to be' a LOT of bitching on the forum... I don't know whether all the complainers left or simply faced facts and 'grew up'... do I wan't to learn another software? Yes. CAN I learn another software...? Sadly, no. I've tried several times with several apps.

All is well in Hash-Land...

• Hash Fellow
What are some of you talking about as far as a subscription, not sure what this is, I thought there was always one but maybe that was membership, I do know that I had updated from v11 to v12 for under $100?

Basically for $79 you get a downloadable version of the program that will run for one year and lets you run any updates that come along in that year. At the end of one year it expires and you need to resubscribe for another year. It doesn't need a CD in the drive to run, it is locked to the computer you installed it on.

• Admin
The subscription change is one of the primary reasons why I have been learning a new 3D application in recent months. I may resubscribe this year, just until I'm comfortable with the new program, but after that, I think I'm gone for good. I've been a long-time user, and big fan of the software. But the subscription fee, the render engine, and the censorship on this forum have pushed me over the edge. I think Martin would have been much better off by simply letting folks discuss the software's imperfections. The oppressive nature of the Hash leadership was a big turn-off. For me, things are not good in Hash land. I bet this gets deleted.

Hey, for what it's worth Thanks! We've had our fair share of good times too haven't we. :)

I bet this gets deleted.

I'll take that bet. What comes AFTER this could likely cause problems though. ;)

We all tend to bandwagon on these things and then we'll all want to take the opportunity to vent.

This topic won't be removed for what you've just wrote although it's certainly not likely to stay for the Newbies forum if negativity continues.

Who wants to be subjected to that?

I've been fortunate in that I've had the opportunity to see a lot of the issues from multiple perspectives. I've felt used, abused etc. like everyone else who bothers to care.

The interesting thing is that the exact same thing applies to the folks at Hash Inc. Both perspectives completely in the right. Impossible and yet there it is.

One very practical thing I don't understand about the subscription is that before (in days of yore) most everyone who frequented the forum was more than willing to pay $99 a year for A:M. Then the price went to $49 a year.

I'm not very good at math but I'm pretty sure that saved me $50 a year.

But the power users balked at this gesture from Hash and after a year or so they raised the yearly subscription to $79.

I'm still not good at math but I believe that I'm still $20 in the clear over the old way of doing business. (...and this year we even got access to Netrender thrown into the mix. I'm told a little thanks goes a long way so I say this sincerely... Thanks Hash!)

Over the years I've seen Martin sacrifice a lot for these power users. He tried to create an equitable system so that feature requests could be prioritized, realized and appreciated.

Most of those feature request are CURRENTLY in A:M. But I suppose those power users could care less. They'd obviously rather pay more for less.

I sympathize with anyone who feels they've been slighted. I've been slighted myself.

But I'm fortunate to have seen these events from more than just my own perspective.

Regarding using other software. Who ever said that you shouldn't do that?

If I were to use Maya today I'd still subscribe to A:M. (I believe this makes good sense)

Others will spend more on a single plugin than they will pay for A:M.

Sorry if this sounds short and stilted.... gotta go pick up my daughter from basketball practice... and there's a snow blizzard out there!

If you do decide to leave.

Come back and visit some day.

Everyone wishes you success.

Edit: Back in from the cold! It's crazy out there.

As far as I've been able to tell the thing most likely to get a post removed from the forum is a personal attack.

Those are best left to personal emails and face to face chats or better yet... self moderated/edited.

• Admin

I see we've drifted a bit... (I also see now that Robert was paying attention)

There has almost always been a subscription.

For many years it was $99.

As I recall with v13 the websubcription was launched for $49 but after a year the price was raised to $79 (I'd guess it can be hard to develop a program on $49 a year).

The websub is different than the old subscription in several ways. For instance, it is generally downloaded from the internet and allows updates for one year from the date of purchase.

The old subscription was closer to each calendar year and required the CD to be inserted at startup.

Websubs allow access to any version released during that subscription year whereas with the CD subscription you could only occasionally extend beyond that year (version 11 I believe was the big exception as there were several mid year releases). Those subscribing to A:M right now can use both v15 and v16 simultaneously on 32bit and 64bit systems... wish I was in charge of a Studio be'cause that's kinda overkill for someone like me.)

The CD with TaoA:M and Tech Ref manuals and the Extra DVD (Over 5GB of resources) can still be purchased for $299. (I believe one websubscription still comes standard with every CD)

A set of 5 A:M CDs with 5 manuals (Ideal for Schools and Studios) is $499.

Custom service and support can also be contracted through Hash Inc.

Sorry... more info than you asked for here. ;)

Well, interestingly enough (and I hope you don't mind me making some comparisons here, just for effect) I've just recently started the trial of Max for a project requiring max models. Now upon opening that software, had I not spent these years using AM, I would've simply closed that program and said "screw that!" But thanks to AM, I think I've been able to learn the concepts behind the tech. See it comes down to more than just the technology, it's the art. AM is much better at teaching the art and IMO, the mechanics are pretty darned advanced. I mean I went into Max expecting certain "advanced" things because it's one of the big three. Like making a planet. Guess what, it's almost exactly the same method (actually easier) to do it in AM. I still have to make 3 objects with different materials for planet, clouds and atmosphere. Sure, I bet if I explored the program more, I'd find uber advanced stuff (maybe) but I mean let's be practical, how often would I use that?

Sure, I've had my gripes with AM and hash in the past, namely over not even being allowed to mention other programs, even in passing, but oppressive? No, not really. I mean this is an AM forum and on an AM forum one would expect to discuss, well, AM. I mean, I don't go to the Blender forums and start discussing AM, doesn't make sense.

But anyways, I've had a fantastic run with AM, I've learned so much yet I still feel like a newb because every time I turn around, BAM, new feature, or an old feature I didn't know existed. Like this Netrender, I haven't the foggiest idea what that is other than it has something to do with rendering.

But back to my comparison of Max, going through it I can definitely say that AM is significantly easier to use to produce the same effects nd when it doesn't have that feature, you find a workaround (building great problem solving skills in the process). Now personally, I like the graphite skin of Max, buuuut, that's not really something to complain about :P Sure, there have been a few features I found that would be super cool to have in AM (like Self-Illumination, that's pretty cool) but otherwise using AM proves that it the animator and not the software that ultimately makes the difference. So I think Hash and the community around it for accepting me and helping through my questions and troubles and successes and everything!

• Admin
back to my comparison of Max

Watch it now. Of course this is a reason threads go away too. ;)

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

Again, one post usually doesn't create the problem it's when other people see the post and suddenly feel the urge to break the forum rules too.

Some of you may recall the old Rants and Raves forum area? It was fun but it mostly just alienated otherwise happy users.

Other applications spend incredible amounts of money advertising their products. It's not fair to ask Hash Inc to advertise for them too.

Thanks for the welcoming and the input on the new features from v12 to v16, so am I to under stand that they included Netrender with the new update? WOW that would be worth the upgrade it's self!

Thanks for the input,

Bob K

I think the new web subscription has been covered. Instead of getting a full unlimited program every year for $99, you now get a download that expires after 1 year from the date of purchase for $80. It is locked to the computer you install it on, but it does not require a CD to be in the drive.

You can also buy a CD version of the software the does not expire for $300. It can be installed on any number of computers, but it requires the CD to be in the tray at startup.

A trimmed down version of Netrender is included in v16. V 16 is still in the Release Candidate stage, but it is working pretty well. This version of Netrender allows you to render on two networked computers, or you can render with two cores on the same processor. Yes, the new Netrender can now take advantage of multiple cores. It is very handy for rendering animation where you have many frames to render. It does Not use multiple cores to render a single image. For a single image, only a single core/processor is used.

There are rumors of a slightly more expensive version of v16 that will allow to use Netrender to render on up to 8cores/processors, but that has not been unveiled and we have no official word from Hash on that yet.

Oh, and v16 comes in 32bit AND 64bit versions. You can install both the 32bit and 64bit version on the same computer with a single license. You don't have to buy two licenses.

Regarding the money, once upon a time I would periodically skip a year when life got in the way. But now, I'm pushing myself more towards animation. Tell me even one hobby you could pursue for less than $80/year. Enough said on that front!

Maybe a post or two of mine has been deleted (and one accidentally, for which the admin apologized profusely! Very kind!). But it's silly to dwell on that. Just keep moving ahead. Be helpful. Show what you've done to others, give encouragement and suggestions to others. There is a really great group here. The software is really good. Use the forum to improve your 3D skills, and help others do the same.