Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RS3D

Problem with .3ds / Import/prop functions not working

I have version 15j+ on my machine. After working for several months, the Import Prop and Import .3ds

functions have stopped working. I contacted tech support. They said they could not get theirs to work

either.

They suggested that I download a previous version like 15 i to see if that would work. I am a little

leery of doing that in case it screws up something on the current version and the projects I have

going with 15j+. They suggested I ask for assistance on the forum. Has anyone had a similar problem?

The only place I can see where 3ds gets mentioned is in the HXT folder. I think that something

must have gotten corrupted. I was wondering if there is a way just to get that particular hxt file

and just load it in to replace the old HXT file.

My backup has been the V12 I have used in the past, but now it doesn't work with 3ds either.

It worked before but not now? The same models you imported before now don't? Or a different model that you hadn't tried before?

And what is the actual error you get?

Have you tried just reinstalling your v15j+?

You can have more than one version of A:M installed. During the installation process make sure it's installing to a different folder.

Instead of

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hash Inc\V15.0

change that to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hash Inc\V15.0_test

If you're installing the Download version, copy the master0.lic file over.

The shortcut to A:M v15 on your desktop will point to the last A:M v15 you installed I think.

I have five versions of A:M installed back to v11

It might be possible that the .3ds may be corrupt. Have you tried to save the 3ds as an obj and import that?

I usually use .obj files here. If you want, I can check the .3ds file here and convert it if needed.

It might be possible that the .3ds may be corrupt. Have you tried to save the 3ds as an obj and import that?

I usually use .obj files here. If you want, I can check the .3ds file here and convert it if needed.

Wont help much... 3ds is a triangle-format while obj is a quad/triangle format... Using triangle formsts with A:M as something different than prop is not gonna work.

Fuchur

From what I gathered from RS3D's post is he is using the 3ds as a prop but the importer seemed to have stopped working. Some programs create lousy 3ds files and there might be a chance that it isn't necessarily the importer plug in from AM but rather the file itself.

Converting it to an obj or even saving out a new 3ds in an outside application that supports polygons and bringing the new file into AM might resolve the issue.

Though I have only used AM for a couple of years I never had any components of it corrupt. I have had some issues with some poly props where there were missing faces, file just too large, flipped normals as being issues.

It worked before but not now?

Yes it was working fine for quite I while and I used it for several models over the past few months, both

for importing as a prop and also converting to MDL format.

The same models you imported before now don't? Or a different model that you hadn't tried before?

All the previous 3ds files are gone. I just cannot use it with any new ones (I have several different ones from several sources).

And what is the actual error you get?

In Objects/Import/Prop... nothing happens. No file locater dialog box pops up.

In Objects/Plug-Ins/Import/3dStudio(Autodesk Ltd)(*.3DS), No file locater box pops up (same as prop)

However, the Objects/Plug-Ins/Import/Object Model (*.OBJ) does work, and the file locater box does pop up.

It also converts the OBJ file correctly.

Have you tried just reinstalling your v15j+?

Yes, but it did not seem to do anything, assuming I did it right. I did not try the older version V15i yet.

You can have more than one version of A:M installed. During the installation process make sure it's installing to a different folder.

Instead of

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hash Inc\V15.0

change that to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hash Inc\V15.0_test

If you're installing the Download version, copy the master0.lic file over.

The shortcut to A:M v15 on your desktop will point to the last A:M v15 you installed I think.

I have five versions of A:M installed back to v11

I have many 3ds files and they were downloaded in the same batches with others that worked. I am sure

the problem is not in corrupt 3ds files.

I do not know how to convert a 3ds to a obj format.

Thanks, I really appreciate the offer, but I mainly use the feature to take parts and pieces of the 3ds files to

use on various projects and I have a lot of them. I wouldn't want to burden anyone, I just want it to work

like it worked before.

How big is the smallest file you are trying?

How big is the smallest file you are trying?

The smallest one is about 78k

However, the AM program doesn't get that far, it stops before it even attempts to locate the file.

that sounds very mysterious.

Try Help>Reset Settings, then restart A:M

It Worked!!!! Thanks a lot for the help.

yay.gif

Come back soon!

yay.gif

Come back soon!

I have an update on this problem. It occurs whenever you try to access a .3DS file that has some kind of problem.

At least in V15 j. So each time you have the problem you have to do the recommended Help>Reset Settings

step that you suggested.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this