Hash, Inc. Forums
pixelplucker

Screen refresh bug still here in rc1

Though I haven't done anything in the last beta and very very little in the previous, I noticed the screen refresh bug is back in rc1. This happens after any extended use of am on my end in the modeling window. Basically the screen only has a small portion that is redrawn when orbiting or panning around the model window. I noticed it will happen just as the program starts to get chunky so I'm going to guess it is memory related issue with the video card?

Anyone else have this bug?

-You've closed all the other windows in your "workbook", right?

I have this rarely, still. I think it depends on the video card. Don't know more.

I only work with one window at a time and close all others unless I'm testing a rig or smart skin etc.

This has been happening since 15.j but only under Windows 7 64. I never had any issues with xp pro 32 on the same machine so it has to be a 64 bit/video driver issue?

Trying to narrow down what causes it but the bug is very hard to reproduce consistently.

I only work with one window at a time and close all others unless I'm testing a rig or smart skin etc.

This has been happening since 15.j but only under Windows 7 64. I never had any issues with xp pro 32 on the same machine so it has to be a 64 bit/video driver issue?

Does it happen the same in both 32-bit and 64-bit A:M?

I haven't used Direct X at all because I had major redraw issues with it. The new RC1 64 doesn't have DX option or at least it won't let me choose it.

But it is in 32-bit A:M. We're just trying things here.

Installed 32 bit version of rc1 and I can't select open gl 64 bit redraw.

The bug is still there under direct x and performance is really bad compared to ogl.

What happens when you hit Enter and Space

Try minimizing and reopening the window (in A:M).

See you

*Fuchur*

How about if you reopen that window but not maximized. Resize it to fit the available space.

That probably will also correct the refresh but it doesn't fix the bug, anyone else experience this?

I've run into the same issue from time to time, both with v15J+, v16 beta 64-bit, and v16 RC 64-bit. I'm running Win7 64-bit. I don't recall ever running into this with earlier versions on WinXP. I haven't tried v16 32-bit.

anyone else experience this?

yup.

it appears "after a while"; when the going's good and the interruption at its most damaging.

NVidia here, yes, as well.

You should email NVidia support, or post to their forums with your issues. They have a better chance of fixing the problem with a driver update than Steffen has of trying to accommodate some obscure, little known bug in the video card drivers.

I have the latest drivers. Problem is AM is the only program that has this bug. All my other 3d apps work fine. I really doubt Nvidia would create a fix for it unless tons of people requested it.

It's not a serious bug but rather a major annoyance. I'm not sure if it is a Quadro specific issue since I only have one machine to test on. Does anyone have the regular Nvidia desktop cards under w7 64 and have this issue?

Does anyone have the regular Nvidia desktop cards under w7 64 and have this issue?

I have an EVGA NVidia GeForce GT240 and have the problem rarely. But I also had it occasionally on my old Win2000 machine with an AMD card.

I do have the same problem And I can do it quit predictably.

NIVIDIA GeForce 6800

If you open a model or other to a window then hit render. You can resize the window and you will see that it will not change the render box size As if it is stuck at its current position. It will stick to the upper left of the window.

I hope this maybe some help.

I do have the same problem And I can do it quit predictably.

NIVIDIA GeForce 6800

If you open a model or other to a window then hit render. You can resize the window and you will see that it will not change the render box size As if it is stuck at its current position. It will stick to the upper left of the window.

I hope this maybe some help.

I have the same card. I am not sure I understand what you are describing, but I believe that is what it is supposed to do. If you hit escape, you will then be able to specify a different area. I am assuming that when you say to "hit render", you are meaning the "render lock" (shift +Q) button.

Can you describe in more detail exactly what you are doing. I have not seen this problem.

Oh they where referring to the quick render failing to complete or hold. ?

Oh they where referring to the quick render failing to complete or hold. ?

I don't know exactly what "they" were saying, nor what YOU were saying. I believe "they" were describing something that happens on an intermittent basis, and perhaps might be related to a memory resource not being released and/or clobbered.

However, I am mainly trying to understand exactly the steps you take, since we share the same card, and I would be able to test it on my PC.

If it is the quick lock render.

I can repeat this bug all bug all day.

Open a model or other window in AM (but not to full screen.)

Select render lock and then select the window to render. As it is renderings stretch the window to a different size or full size. Only the original screen area will render with a yellow boarder around it.

If it is the quick render. This is more intermittent

Open a model or other window in AM. Select quick render and select window. Some time it will stall/stop part way throw the render or when it finish it will return to the normal window view.

If it was something else they are talking about can you guys clarify. :unsure:

If it is the quick lock render.

I can repeat this bug all bug all day.

Open a model or other window in AM (but not to full screen.)

Select render lock and then select the window to render. As it is renderings stretch the window to a different size or full size. Only the original screen area will render with a yellow boarder around it.

If it is the quick render. This is more intermittent

Open a model or other window in AM. Select quick render and select window. Some time it will stall/stop part way throw the render or when it finish it will return to the normal window view.

If it was something else they are talking about can you guys clarify. :unsure:

This is not what the others are talking about... And i dont think this is a real bug... It is just the way it was programmed since it has to start with a certain point ;).

The problem described here is related to the realtime view not progressive or final renderings...

See you

*Fuchur*

As it is renderings stretch the window to a different size or full size.

It not clear to me why you would want to do this so I'll suggest looking to your workflow for a solution.

Performing other functions while rendering is generally not a good idea.

In cases where you need to do this type of multitasking try opening another instance of A:M or creating new windows with alternate views and settings.

I see as rendering as a separate function (such as modeling or animating) and try (where possible) not to perform them simultaneously.

The problem is that A:M is still trying to perform the last instruction you've given it but you've already decided to do something else. (A:M isn't a mind reader... yet.)

If changing your mind on window size... hit the Escape Key to terminate the rendering instruction... then proceed again.

Screen stops redrawing except in a small "tooltip" sized square as you turn or pan? If so I've had that on v13 and v15 on vista with an ATI card. Learned to live with it though it's annoying. Goes away when you select something new.

This is not what the others are talking about... And I don’t think this is a real bug... It is just the way it was programmed since it has to start with a certain point ;).

It's more in the annoying bug category since it is easy to get around it. And to fix-it it may only need to slip in something to resize it s before it starts re-rendering when the screen size is change. but not much of a problem other wises.

The problem described here is related to the realtime view not progressive or final renderings...

I did notes as I was testing this that if you lower the hardware acceleration on the NIVIDIA card some refresh problems start popping up. Like blank windows or parts of the windows don’t refresh. But at this point I ‘m not to sure of the problem.

Screen stops redrawing except in a small "tooltip" sized square as you turn or pan? If so I've had that on v13 and v15 on vista with an ATI card. Learned to live with it though it's annoying. Goes away when you select something new.

O.K. Yes and I did see that happen on one of the Bata's but it only happen three times the first week and I never saw it again . And I think I had an open report but I jest check and I had closed it since the problem had stopped.

report number [0005683]

Is your Operating System 32bit or 64bit?

In A:M, are you using DirectX or OpenGL as the real time driver?

What ATI video card do you have?

Are you sure your video card drivers are up to date?

To find out if your computer is running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, do the following:

1. Click the Start button, then click Control Panel, then click System and Maintenance, then click System.

2. Under System, you can view the System Type.

If you don't know if your video card drivers are up to date, you can go here and download the latest drivers for your video card and OS.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Page...orDriverUpdates

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.