Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

2011 Animation Plans

mouseman

What are your plans for animating in 2011?

For me, I want to put in at least 1 hour of time in 4 days a week. This is my first step towards the "Animate every day" mantra that I've seen written by many animators describing what the secret to their success is. The theory is that if I can keep it going for an hour, anything more than that is a bonus. And I have an idea for a short.

Let's hear it! What are you planning on doing?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I want to write the screenplay that I was going to write this year and I'm thinking of writing a book on SimCloth for A:M.

In A:M specifically, i want to experiment with modeling convincing characters for toon-rendering.

I also want to develop some way to use expressions to automate/simplify crowd animation. Then i could use that to do some shots in "We're Off, We're Gone" which never got done.

And then i could finish "We're Off, We're Gone".

Well aside from my cinematic and epic blockbuster release of ELZ sometime in the next few decades.....

Ha, no, not really, actually, my goals are somewhat counterproductive. I have a few shorts in mind that despite how much I may like to think I'll get them done, I know I won't (the whole, haven't completed an animation project in nearly 5 years thing is a good basis to start from :P ) and for the counterproductive goal, my goal is to actually stop or significantly reduce any animating or projects in general. I gotta start university in the fall and TBH, I'm quite scared by the idea of going to university, but tis a necessary evil so I don't have to work at the movie cinema at minimum wage for the rest of my life...

Anyways, it's time to end this part in time and begin a new chapter, a different chapter

I'm starting on a disturbing short about a little boy who's family has died, and he still lives in the house with their corpses, and still takes his dead dog out for a drag...

I'm also seriously considering doing a stop motion short about robots made from old electronic components. I have a lot of materials, and I just found space that would be perfect for a stop-motion studio.

I want to find a faster workflow in 2011 so that I can concentrate more on the story than the mechanics.

Gotta do more Fishin' in 2011!

We are about 3 hours away from midnight here in the UK so let me take this opportunity to wish you all a happy, healthy and prosperous 2011 full of lots of creative achievements. :)

I've got an animation commission, a music video, that's been on-again-off-again for most of the last two years. I've finished storyboards on it and I intend to complete the principle animation in the course of this year. That means hopefully that I'll also be posting some WIP posts on it.

And HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!!

I'm not entirely sure what 2011 will hold for me.

My focus at the beginning of the year has to be getting a job. It's been a looong 20 months since I quit my job (d'oh!) Boy, do I miss those carefree days when I wasn't completely broke. :-)

I'm hoping to get to do another local animated commercial or two.

I'm debating setting up The Wannabe Pirates webcomic on a US TV season-type schedule. The idea being that a "season" would start at the beginning of August and run until halfway through December. Then it would start back up in the middle of January and run through May. That would give me three "free" months in a year. With some planning, I could even reach a point where the stories start at the beginning of the season, have a cliff-hanger at the winter break and then end at the end of the season.

I'm also working with McCrary to put together a "pitch" for The Wannabe Pirates to see if we can get an agent to look at selling the property to a production company or studio as a series or movie.

I'm feeling a very strong feeling that I want to work on something new, so I think it's inevitable that I'll start thinking about that this year. I have no clue what it will be. :-)

I'm not entirely sure what 2011 will hold for me.

My focus at the beginning of the year has to be getting a job. It's been a looong 20 months since I quit my job (d'oh!) Boy, do I miss those carefree days when I wasn't completely broke. :-)

I'm hoping to get to do another local animated commercial or two.

I'm debating setting up The Wannabe Pirates webcomic on a US TV season-type schedule. The idea being that a "season" would start at the beginning of August and run until halfway through December. Then it would start back up in the middle of January and run through May. That would give me three "free" months in a year. With some planning, I could even reach a point where the stories start at the beginning of the season, have a cliff-hanger at the winter break and then end at the end of the season.

I'm also working with McCrary to put together a "pitch" for The Wannabe Pirates to see if we can get an agent to look at selling the property to a production company or studio as a series or movie.

I'm feeling a very strong feeling that I want to work on something new, so I think it's inevitable that I'll start thinking about that this year. I have no clue what it will be. :-)

Stalled Trek :D I was actually quite looking forward to those back in the day

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've got my idea for a short film to work on this year. Have to work out the particulars, but the idea appeals to me. (Sorry, Darkwing, but Stalled Trek remains stalled for the time being.) I want to start with something a little more manageable. Just two characters and a couple of sets ...and a only a few minutes long. No real dialogue, either. If I can do it right, I think it will be pretty funny.

The set up for it is such that it could also be a series of gag cartoons.

The name I'm toying with is Trek-related, though. "Wag n' Trane: To the Stars!"

Concurrently, I've decided to take the Wannabe Pirates webcomic back down to two a week. The five day a week schedule is just too grueling for something that has no financial return. Two a week puts it firmly back into the "hobby" category. I'm hoping to be gainfully employed at some point and knowing that I can knock out two strips on a Saturday means I'll have the rest of my week freed up. This will also greatly increase my lead time to prepare models and props for upcoming sequences.

I'm starting on a disturbing short about a little boy who's family has died, and he still lives in the house with their corpses, and still takes his dead dog out for a drag...

I'm also seriously considering doing a stop motion short about robots made from old electronic components. I have a lot of materials, and I just found space that would be perfect for a stop-motion studio.

LOL! Now that sounds like a good short!

I think I've got my idea for a short film to work on this year. Have to work out the particulars, but the idea appeals to me. (Sorry, Darkwing, but Stalled Trek remains stalled for the time being.) I want to start with something a little more manageable. Just two characters and a couple of sets ...and a only a few minutes long. No real dialogue, either. If I can do it right, I think it will be pretty funny.

The set up for it is such that it could also be a series of gag cartoons.

The name I'm toying with is Trek-related, though. "Wag n' Trane: To the Stars!"

Concurrently, I've decided to take the Wannabe Pirates webcomic back down to two a week. The five day a week schedule is just too grueling for something that has no financial return. Two a week puts it firmly back into the "hobby" category. I'm hoping to be gainfully employed at some point and knowing that I can knock out two strips on a Saturday means I'll have the rest of my week freed up. This will also greatly increase my lead time to prepare models and props for upcoming sequences.

Ha ha. no worries, long as we get a quality product (which I'm sure we will) :)

As for me, I think I've had an idea, but it does require me to renew my sub (it's done now so I have no AM) Anyways, animation just doesn't seem my thing, I try and I try but I never even get close to getting production done and when I do, I'm not overly good and don't really enjoy it (plus it usually means organic modeling and rigging). One of my biggest things here is I've wanted to make something, essentially for the community, but my lacking in completed projects doesn't help. The only times I do seem to complete something, is with modeling. So I think that's what I might do if I renew my sub. Basically spend the next 8 months modeling just stuff to be donated here. Probably gonna mostly be in the sci-fi realm, but that way, it might help some people complete some "quick" projects by having models already built, you just move em around (like Chris K does for Red Squad)

• Admin

I know you want to keep this a personal in-house project but I hope you'll consider having others create some of those props from your design drawings.

I say this not just for the sake of "The Wannabe Pirates" or any other special project but its an opportunity to refine modeling skill on real world productions.

Some modelers don't have experience with modeling from experienced hand drawn designs. (We tend to make it up as we go along)

A problem with projects like TWO and SO is that at some point the Modeling process stops and those apt to only model tend to wander around looking for other projects while the production goes on. With the length of production this can put talented modelers in stasis for too long.

Providing models for productions such as yours will not only increase the range of your productions (consider the sets and environments that would take too long to self produce) it'll be valuable experience and will help those modelers with their next job. No one has to do it (you aren't twisting any arms) and you wouldn't have to accept the models (set your own standard of quality) but its an interactive way to be involved with your special topics.

Not a hard sale on the suggestion... just churning the waters to see if anything pops up.

There is good reason why some projects are 'Special Topics'.

Thanks, Darkwing. Going to try. :-)

I know you want to keep this a personal in-house project but I hope you'll consider having others create some of those props from your design drawings.

I say this not just for the sake of "The Wannabe Pirates" or any other special project but its an opportunity to refine modeling skill on real world productions.

Some modelers don't have experience with modeling from experienced hand drawn designs. (We tend to make it up as we go along)

A problem with projects like TWO and SO is that at some point the Modeling process stops and those apt to only model tend to wander around looking for other projects while the production goes on. With the length of production this can put talented modelers in stasis for too long.

Providing models for productions such as yours will not only increase the range of your productions (consider the sets and environments that would take too long to self produce) it'll be valuable experience and will help those modelers with their next job. No one has to do it (you aren't twisting any arms) and you wouldn't have to accept the models (set your own standard of quality) but its an interactive way to be involved with your special topics.

Not a hard sale on the suggestion... just churning the waters to see if anything pops up.

There is good reason why some projects are 'Special Topics'.

You've given me some food for thought, Rodney.