Hash, Inc. Forums

Shaggy becomes a little Shaggier

Just a quick test of hair, first time outside of TAOAM. Attached is a ZIP of the project and movie. Sorry, AVI only. [bTW, when uploading an AVI, the forum says "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file".]

Some of the hairs go through the ears, but the effect seems to be okay. Is there a good strategy for getting hair to be routed in areas that don't necessarily match the splinage?

ETA: Just found John Bigboote's post on HAIR.

ShaggyHair_cam.zip

looking shaggy.... ;) you can drive the hair´s density with an image, so you´re not tied to the patch geometry... just create a decal, choose "other" from the decal menue, then you can add a property... the available property-list of the hair will show up, they are "density", "color", "length", and "direction" i think... when you have multiple hair systems running on one model, all those properties will show up twice (or 3, or 4 times, depending of the number of hair systems) in that list.

The other thing I would suggest is to set "use gravity = OFF" - then your grooming would be retained. Unless you are wanting it to flop? In which case, why groom? If you turn off gravity, set preroll to 0. You had it at 60.

The movie is with your grooming, gravity off, preroll=0, 1 pass, no shadows.

NoprerollNogravity.jpg

ShaggyHair_camh264.mov

Quick question:

Was there any major work done (such as increased functionality) to the hair system in version 16, or 15 for that matter.

I am still running version 14 on a 32 bit system but plan to upgrade to a new system and version 16 after the new year.

By the way, that movie looks great. Also just read Matt Campbell's pdf. Very interesting!

Thanks!

Was there any major work done (such as increased functionality) to the hair system in version 16, or 15 for that matter.

I am still running version 14 on a 32 bit system but plan to upgrade to a new system and version 16 after the new year.

The dynamics of hair has definitely improved since ver 14. If I remember, the hair in ver 14 was quite annoyingly jittery (especially if rendered with multi-pass), and there was interference between dynamic constraints and hair. It wouldn't work right if you had both types on your model. That has been fixed, by the addition of being able to bake both dynamic constraints as well as hair. Much easier to work with in real-time because of that, jitter is gone too!

I believe there were some changes related to how hair gets colored by procedural type materials, but I don't know since I usually use a decal to color the hair. Much more control, and faster.

I am using a 32 bit system, ver 16. XP Pro sp3.

you can drive the hair´s density with an image, so you´re not tied to the patch geometry... [... using decal ...]
Aah, yes. So I'd have the option of using the decal method or do as John Bigboote suggested in his tutorial and use an additional higher density mesh dedicated to the hair.

The other thing I would suggest is to set "use gravity = OFF" - then your grooming would be retained. Unless you are wanting it to flop? In which case, why groom? If you turn off gravity, set preroll to 0. You had it at 60.

Well, it all sounds so obvious when you say it like that! That makes perfect sense, thanks Nancy!

I think I might try out hair in my next project. (Which will not involve a shaggier Shaggy!)

you can drive the hair´s density with an image, so you´re not tied to the patch geometry... [... using decal ...]
Aah, yes. So I'd have the option of using the decal method or do as John Bigboote suggested in his tutorial and use an additional higher density mesh dedicated to the hair.

Well, it all sounds so obvious when you say it like that! That makes perfect sense, thanks Nancy!

I think I might try out hair in my next project. (Which will not involve a shaggier Shaggy!)

not nescessarily "OR"... you can also use an extra dense mesh for the hair AND drive the desity with an image, if you want to make the hair less dense on the edges for example... you will only need the extra dense mesh if you want collision detection anyway.... if you have relatively short hair on your character, there will propably be no need for collision detection, for those purposes you can use the characters original mesh.