Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Merry

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any ideas anybody, why the truck in this scene is flickering?

The grill on the truck looks like moire patterns. There's not much you can do about that at this resolution but maybe you could try a painted grill when the truck is at this distance from the camera, it might help.

The flickering edge along the top of the cab might be caused by the shadow of the train. Increasing the resolution and the number of passes might help.

Just ideas. I hope you find a solution.

Great progress. I love the look. Like 1950s children's book illustrations. Keep pushing. I'm sure you'll get there.

Any ideas anybody, why the truck in this scene is flickering?

Is the fog in the camerasetting overriding the setting of the render?

Is a skydome cutting down or extending rendertimes?

Any ideas?

a skydome will definately extend rendertimes a bit, since it´s additional geometry to render... but it´s close to nothing if you turn "cast shadows" and "receive shadows" off for the model...

if the fog in the camerasetting overrides the fogsetting in the renderdialogue depends on the setting you´ve made in the options-menue render tab... there you can choose "use settings from camera" or not...

regarding the animation: i´m with you when you say that physics defy reality in a cartoonworld, but you should take care that it doesn´t look "wrong"... in a cartoonworld physics are most times just exaggerated, not inverted ;) so why would the train slow down BEFORE it hits the car? and why is the car thrown away with a much higher speed than beeing hit? even in a cartoon-animation the basic physics should not be thaaat wrong.

cheers...

>regarding the animation: i´m with you when you say that physics defy reality in a cartoonworld, but you should take care that it doesn´t look "wrong"... in a cartoonworld physics are most times just exaggerated, not inverted so why would the train slow down BEFORE it hits the car? and why is the car thrown away with a much higher speed than beeing hit? even in a cartoon-animation the basic physics should not be thaaat wrong.

Its not animationcritictime yet! Hopefully I will be reaching there in a few years. (joking again, hopefully!)

Thanks for your help!

• Hash Fellow

The flickering is probably inadequate anti-aliasing as Paul suggested. More passes with multi-pass with Soften ON helps, but thin, high contrast lines are always challenging. If you're not using multi-pass, rendering at double size and scaling down can help too.

I recall seeing stuff like that on early CG movies like "Antz". Now studios have the computing power to grind away on these things until the jaggies are gone.

I'd let that train just barrel through the scene without stopping. WHAM!

For the fog I'd experiment using a fog image that is all black at the interior of the tunnel. This might prevent the tunnel from looking like it's illuminated inside when the train goes through.

The image might look something like this:

fogimage.jpg

Merry Christmas!

>For the fog I'd experiment using a fog image that is all black at the interior of the tunnel. This might prevent the tunnel from looking like it's illuminated inside when the train goes through.

is there a way to aim that picture correctly or will this have to be try and error?

>For the fog I'd experiment using a fog image that is all black at the interior of the tunnel. This might prevent the tunnel from looking like it's illuminated inside when the train goes through.

is there a way to aim that picture correctly or will this have to be try and error?

if the camera stays in place and the fog image matches the the camera view, then it should fit.

another way to darken the tunnel area could be the use of negative lights... this way you can "suck" the light out of the tunnel... not sure though if it´s enough to ged rid of the fog...

• Hash Fellow

Render one frame, paint the white and black over it, then use that as the fog image.

I'd make the fog color slightly grayish-blue, really, to more closely mimic the bluing of the atmosphere.

another way to do fog for the inside: have a separate interior model for the tunnel - with surface color = black (or whatever color), and set property in chor for shortcut to interior model to "ignore fog"

Ding, ding, ding, ding! Power-User Answer of the Week award goes to Nancy. This will work even if the camera moves.

• 3 weeks later...