Hash, Inc. Forums

Action Transition

markw

Seasons Greetings to one and all!

I'm hoping that someone here will be able to help me with transitions, going from one action into another. I've read what I could find on the forum but still not getting it to work.

I've uploaded a project with this post, (I hope!) so if anybody feels they have time, so close to Christmas and all, they can have a look and see where I've gone wrong!

The problem area is near the beginning, going from a walk cycle to standing and reaching for the door handle.

Without blending there's a noticeable jump, which looks even worse when rendered. However with blending, Shaggy turns around in a little circle during the blending process.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Action_Transition.zip

• Hash Fellow

I glanced at it briefly... the half-spin Shaggy does is because the model bone at the end of Chor Action 2 is pointing toward the door and just before Chor Action 3 it is pointing away from the door.

[theory]

If you look in Chor Action 3 you'll see there are no keys for Model bone so during the transition period A:M seems to be going from the keyed rotation in Chor Action 2 to the unspoken default rotation in Chor Action 3. Then when Chor Action 3 take over in full A:M reverts to the Rotation from Chor Action 2 because Chor Action 3 doesn't have any keys for the Model bone to supercede that.

[/theory]

However if i add keys to the model bone in Chor action 3 Shaggy still does about a quarter turn then back during the transition

Is this a bug or a feature? I'm not quite sure. It's a curious problem I haven't seen before and I'm wondering what is different about this situation.

I realize this doesn't solve your problem yet, if i have time I'll look further.

• Hash Fellow

Here's a fixed version that properly transitions.

Action_Transition_fixed.prj

I was going to explain the steps to do this, but the second time i tried it it didn't come out the same. Obviously I left out some step but I'm not sure what.

I'm not sure what Robert did, but it's the action order that's causing it. Just drag Chor action 2 above shaggywalk. You want the transition to be between the walkcycle and the handle action. Chor 2 only holds the model bone information.

Good find, Ken!

Mine has no foot sliding during the transition, but Ken's is easier and still uses transition to next action

Thanks Robcat and KenH for the speedy replies and help!

Yet again this forum has proved an invaluable resource (and comes free with the software!)

I will study what you have done and hopefully learn!

Happy Christmas to you both. :)