Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HomeSlice

Need help pinning down a render bug

A:M v16 32bit RC3 - WinXP 32bit - Quicktime Pro v7.5.5

When rendering to any Quicktime codec, A:M will sometimes write the movie and sometimes it won't.

Sometimes, all I have to do is rerender a failed attempt and on the second try the movie will be written to disk.

Sometimes, if I click on the "Set" property and just look at the "Choose a Codec" screen and hit OK, it will get the movie to render and save correctly.

Sometimes I have to change from h264 codec to PNG codec, or from PNG codec to H264 (or something else).

Sometimes, while A:M is rendering something, the correct images appear in the render progress screen, but when it's done, it shows an old render from before I made changes to the chor.

And sometimes when it renders successfully, but fails to write the movie to disk, I can step through the correct movie frames in the render progress window using the Plus and Minus keys on the keypad, but when I click on the rendered frames in the container in the PWS (it always shows a completed render there when its done), and try to "Save Animation As", it can't save the movie it just rendered - it looks on the disk for the movie file and of course the file doesn't exist because it was never written to disk. (but the frames are *Somewhere* - maybe in memory? Because I can step through them in the render progress screen.)

I've been trying to pin down the problem, so I can make a bug report, but I just can't make any sense of it. I have not found any consistent pattern. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Have you noticed any patterns?

Sometimes, while A:M is rendering something, the correct images appear in the render progress screen, but when it's done, it shows an old render from before I made changes to the chor.

This I have seen but haven't reproduced consistently.

A:M v16 32bit RC3 - WinXP 32bit - Quicktime Pro v7.5.5

When rendering to any Quicktime codec, A:M will sometimes write the movie and sometimes it won't.

Yes, it just happened to me yesterday for the first time. Was rendering to a mov - but using the animation codec, as I always set uncompressed from A:M, then compress in QT pro. The A:M Screen went blank (the render screen) - supposedly when it was writing file to disk, but the file wasn't written. I was thinking it might have been because I had the QT player open at the same time I was rendering. That happens when I am rendering to same file name, but this time I am pretty sure I was rendering to a different file name.

I did not retry to render a mov at that point, I just decided then and there to render to png sequence instead, and not risk it.

Yes, I have also seen "old renders show up" at the end of a render. I think this happens mostly if I'm not on frame 0 when I start the render.

I have also had A:M crash quite frequently if I am rendering with hair on, and then after the render, I try to save the chor. It will let me specify a file name for the chor, but will crash before writing it. When I go back into A:M after the crash, and try to open the chor - it will show the filename that I had been trying to save to, but the file doesn't exist. This is different than in the past, where it would only remember successful writes.

After rendering, I try to turn hair off, close the chor window, then save the chor under a new name. That seems to crash less often.

I also find whenever something starts to be consistently funny in A:M, I close it and restart. That seems to reinitialize stuff.

All of the above, makes me think there are multiple processes (threads?) going on, and that the threads are getting mixed up, or somehow my graphics card memory is getting mixed up. I don't have OpenMP enabled - but yet I notice in the master.log text it says "---OpenMP try using 2 threads". I do have a 2 core system, with multithreading.

I too haven't written any reports because I haven't verified being able to reproduce this consistently.

I was getting constant problems with h264 so I changed to mpeg4 and things have remained pretty stable. Like Nancy, if things start getting wonky save, close and reboot.

I haven't played with hair or dynamics in A:M 16 Beta 5 yet so I can't comment on that.

I presume if you roll back to an earlier version you can render again?

I presume if you roll back to an earlier version you can render again?

If you are talking to me - yes, I can go back to a previous version of my chor. But I'm finding it better to save before rendering (to a new name)

Does that happen to just one codec or all?

When I rendered mov's before I stuck with cinepack codec and never experienced any issues and kept compression on the minimum.

Rendering out a series of tga's I would think would be the best.

Does that happen to just one codec or all?

Well, we know it has happened with at least 2 different codecs. I was using animation (no codec), Holmes was using h264.

Something that I just noticed under C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\V16.0\Backup. That backup folder is filled with a zillion new folders, all empty folders. These folders have names that look like dates. It looks like they are created at start-up, only 1 folder/day. I wonder what would get written into them? Is this related to auto-save?

All of the above, makes me think there are multiple processes (threads?) going on, and that the threads are getting mixed up, or somehow my graphics card memory is getting mixed up. I don't have OpenMP enabled - but yet I notice in the master.log text it says "---OpenMP try using 2 threads". I do have a 2 core system, with multithreading.

This logmessage is written before the check, if the option is activated from the user .

Something that I just noticed under C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\V16.0\Backup. That backup folder is filled with a zillion new folders, all empty folders. These folders have names that look like dates. It looks like they are created at start-up, only 1 folder/day. I wonder what would get written into them? Is this related to auto-save?

This is created from the autosave plugin , You can enable this plugin from Project->Plugin Properties->Autosave .

If You don't want to use this pluign (the same for Timelog) , simply remove this plugin from Your HXT folder .

I'm not sure yet, if I let this both plugins in the release version or removing it .

This is created from the autosave plugin , You can enable this plugin from Project->Plugin Properties->Autosave .

If You don't want to use this pluign (the same for Timelog) , simply remove this plugin from Your HXT folder .

I'm not sure yet, if I let this both plugins in the release version or removing it .

What about activating / deactivating the plugin with a checkbox in the optionspanel?

Like that, everybody can use or leave it. I like Autosave very much. It can really help to keep you from loosing stuff.

See you

*Fuchur*

Thanks Steffen. Very interesting.

I wonder if it will help track down any problems related to intermittent crashes, or not writing to files, if I enable Timelogging? I have never investigated it. I thought I was just seeing the start up log.

I got rid of the autosave. I don't think I would ever use that. I like control over when I save stuff, as I do a lot of experimenting, and wouldn't want to keep all my junk trials. I've learned to save very frequently, whenever I am about to make a change that I'm not sure of, or when I do want to keep something I've changed. Always!....Until I forget. :lol:

Yeah...I hear ya Nancy. Autosave is not preferable to me either. I don't like much "auto".....well...maybe autopilot....but that's only good until the fuel runs out, or if there's a parachutes available. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this