Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gerry

Serious rendering problem

I'm working on the Christmas animation and everything was just fine yesterday. I rendered all day on the Mac. Took my files to to work and continued working on the same files, no problem.

Suddenly I cannot render to final quality at all. I haven't changed anything, and the chor's I'm doing are all identical, same lights, cameras and models. I can render wireframes fine, and when I render to final it hangs on shadows from one rim light and cranks and cranks but the picture's blank.

I created a new light in case the default rim got buggy and it hasn't helped. I changed the shadows from z-buffered to raytrace and it still just cranked and never rendered any images.

I'm stumped. It's misbehaving on both platforms and I've tried opening individual chor's but the problem persists. The file's too large to upload here so I don't know exactly how to proceed.

And can you render anything else in the mean time?

Well it appears I can render to a jpeg series. I wasn't able to render final quality either to targa to QT though it was working fine yesterday. Also started on frame 10 instead of zero in case there was something in the first couple of frames (but I'm just guessing!) and I can go back and render them separately later if everything else goes okay.

I will post more if I figure anything out. Haven't tried reset all settings, I will after this render is done. Where do you do that?

Have you accidentally turned on Radiosity in the choreography? That will make the renders seem to take forever.

That doesn't show in the options in the render panel but I can't tell you much else until the render's done.

Help>Reset Settings

Puts everything back to factory defaults

Thanks Robert, I tried it but it didn't help. I was able to render to jpegs last night, but I can't this morning. Nothing will render to final quality and I can't see why. Tried turning shadows on and off, motion blur, etc.

EDIT tried changing shadows from raytraced to z-buff but didn't make a difference.

EDIT 2 It looks like there's just something about one or two chors, which is strange because they're all "Save as" copies so I would be sure they all had identical elements (like lighting, e.g.) in them.

EDIT 2 It looks like there's just something about one or two chors, which is strange because they're all "Save as" copies so I would be sure they all had identical elements (like lighting, e.g.) in them.

Can you render a shaded? Post screen shot of the chor rendering, output settings. I have found that turning things on/off/on doesn't always reset properly, and can mess things up (especially with depth buffer, post effects). I find that I have to expand the channels in the chor, and manually delete things to start fresh (if I don't want to redo the whole thing)

Is there hair?, dof? fog?, etc? Is it a close up to a surface? Multipass?

Have you tried turning models in chor off to narrow it down further?

I'm working through some of these things, nancy. I'll try to post something more informative this afternoon.

I'm working through some of these things, nancy. I'll try to post something more informative this afternoon.

on my mac

I've had problems with render to quciktime

an example would be if i had it set to render out as an animation ( quicktime) it would fail

even though it worked the day before

my solution was to switch to another render setting such as non compression (quicktime)

it would then render perfectly and then i could switch back to animation and it would be fine

beats me why and it very rare that it happens

j

Thanks Jim, I'll look into that possibility. Currently I'm rendering another chor which is identical to the ones that gave me problems, as I said, same models, same lights, etc. including motion blur, fog and shadows, and rendering to a targa series is working fine.

The only difference was in the problem chor's the camera was moved in for a closeup. Otherwise, they're identical, except I'm rendering a different frame range. This is rendering on my office pc but when these problems arose yesterday, they started on the pc and when I got home I had the same problems on the mac.

To try...

Make a new blank chor, delete all the elements in it and drag the camera from your problem chor to the new one

Render the new chor. Does it work?

If so, drag additional elements from the problem chor and keep testing until it stops working. Now you have a suspect.

I didn't change a thing and everything's fine today.

If it worked on one machine then suddenly stopped working on another I would check the system memory. Rendering out to individual frames seemed to work or partially work try a format that uses No compression. Rendering out to an avi or mov would require more memory. Rendering any compressed file will take longer such as jpg's.

One time I had a particular file I was doing in EI and it would suddenly freeze. Image was 22,000 pix by 18,000 pix with just under 3 mil in polys. The file would freeze at exactly the same spot which drove me crazy because I would turn off some objects and it would still die at the same spot.

It turned out I had a bad memory stick. Back then the Mac's used static memory pools, not sure if they do that still. The pc's use dynamic memory pools so freez ups if memory related can be a bit more random. There are some memory test you can run off a bootable cd.

This is the one we use http://www.memtest86.com/

MS has one also.

If it worked on one machine then suddenly stopped working on another I would check the system memory. Rendering out to individual frames seemed to work or partially work try a format that uses No compression. Rendering out to an avi or mov would require more memory. Rendering any compressed file will take longer such as jpg's.

One time I had a particular file I was doing in EI and it would suddenly freeze. Image was 22,000 pix by 18,000 pix with just under 3 mil in polys. The file would freeze at exactly the same spot which drove me crazy because I would turn off some objects and it would still die at the same spot.

It turned out I had a bad memory stick. Back then the Mac's used static memory pools, not sure if they do that still. The pc's use dynamic memory pools so freez ups if memory related can be a bit more random. There are some memory test you can run off a bootable cd.

This is the one we use http://www.memtest86.com/

MS has one also.

My god, for what did you need a 22k x 18k image? Did you try to covere the moon with a piece of paper?

*Fuchur*

We were doing images for duratrans for a trade show, the posters were huge 73"x60" @ 300 dpi. Posters now use stochastic screening (inkjet) and require 144-200 dpi.

I believe I remember the thread from when you were working on those images. Glad you found another solution! But they must still be huge files.

We were doing images for duratrans for a trade show, the posters were huge 73"x60" @ 300 dpi. Posters now use stochastic screening (inkjet) and require 144-200 dpi.

I know this is an old discussion that has been hashed and rehashed several times but I can't help but be curious. I ask in all honesty... I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

If the requirement is 144-200 dpi what benefit is gained by targeting or maintaining 300 dpi?

It seems to me there is a potential for savings of time/effort to be gained in that area.

Sorry Gerry. If this is moving us off topic I'll reign it back in or split it to another discussion.

The duratrans were photo based (analog) so 300dpi was required. Newer methods use the big injet printers so only 144-200 dpi is needed.

My problem has returned with another shot entirely. Not sure how to diagnose this. Maybe it only renders on even-numbered days!

I'm pretty sure you are using v16 Beta , right? I'm having similar issues. Sometimes, when rendering - mostly to Quicktime codecs - an error will pop up after every frame saying it "cannot save to [file path]". This mostly happens with the H264 codec. Many times it will work if I click on "set" in the "Save Options" options in the render to file dialog and choose "Animation" codec. It *seems* that A:M resets back to H264 codec after every restart. So always check what codec you are rendering to. I'm trying to find a consistent pattern so I can make a simple test project that always displays the problem, but have not found one yet.

On another note, I was rendering some exr images last night, then switched to png images, but I did not change the file extension in the Filename property, I just changed from exr to png in the "Save As Type" select menu. And I did not notice that the file extension was still exr. The render completed to the end (about 35 minutes) and at the very last moment, when it was writing the final image to disk, an error popped up saying it could not save *my_Image.exr* to disk (notice the exr extension in the error). This one can be a real heart breaker. ALWAYS be sure to check that the extension in the "File Name" box and the "Save as Type" box Match.

Thanks Holmes. I finally figured out the problem through a process of elimination: I deleted the walkway and it's rendering just fine now! I just started turning various elements off and on to see if I could narrow it down.

For those here who don't know, Holmes did a really masterful job modeling and rigging my gingerbread house for this animation and working with it has been great fun. He mentioned the other day how he had knocked himself out rigging the candy walkway, and it looked great. But now it's out!

I should have something nearly finished to post here by Monday.

Awwww man, I liked the candy walkway.... Thanks for the kudos though :)

I ran into similar issues on other projects. Something (presumably) worked just fine on the computer of the person who created it, but crashed on my computer. Computers continue to mystify me.

I want to see the candy walkway! Send it to Holmes and see if he can make it render.

It's probably not the whole Candy walkway that is the problem.

you could try deleting parts of it to see what's causing it.

Now I'm having the same problem with other elements. I make them inactive and renders go fine, I make them active and the renders just hang.

Maybe I'll use the walkway next year! For now it's history. I'm a *little* behind on this as it is!

Okay, I just figured out what may be the problem. When Holmes scaled these elements to pop into view the scaling starts at zero. When I changed that setting to .5%, the rendering problems seem to have gone away.

I'll post further if I find out anything else. I may also be able to restore the walkway.

Well, with a lot of figuring and finagling, here's where I'm at. I'm rendering all the frames up to where the snowy trees pop up, here at home on the Mac (frames 64 thru 358) and with Remote Desktop Connection I can also log onto my office pc from home and operate it remotely, so I'm rendering all the frames from 359 thru 720 on the office pc without getting out of my jammies.

I had to move all the scaling for everything in the shot that began at zero, to about .5%, even objects that had scaled up in frames previous to the ones rendering. But that's where the rendering problems apparently stem from.

Sorry I haven't posted any WIP's so you all know what I'm talking about but you'll see shortly.

Note: The frames that are rendering on the Mac in about 40 seconds are rendering on the pc in about 1:30.

Whew! Glad you figured that out.

It is so strange. I rendered some test animations without any problem. Then i worked a little in a different project. Then I opened the gingerbread house project again and tried to render, but the render hung while rendering the shadows. (there is only one shadow casting light, a klieg with Z-buffered shadows). I tried a quick progressive render and it hung again at the shadows. Then I went into every pose and changed anything that was scaled at "0%" to ".5%". Closed the project. Re-opened it and everything is rendering fine now.

I will be sure to keep my scaling to .5% and above from now on. No more scaling a bone to 0%.

I wonder if it could be a conflict between scaling and enforcement of a constraint? I'm just guessing, I had another example to cite but now I'm not so sure.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this