Hash, Inc. Forums

3ds file

bubba

• Hash Fellow

If you RMB on the Objects folder>Inport>Prop you can import a polygonal model as a "Prop" This will be a solid shape not editable in A:M but usable in chors.

If you open a new blank model window then RMB>plugins>Import>3D Studio you can load a polygonal model and A:M will try to convert the facet edges to splines. This may be slow. This is editable, however, the chances that the polygonal model was created with the same arrangement of CPs that a good A:M model needs is nearly zero.

Polygonal models made of triangles are hopeless cases.

In general, most polygonal models are poor candidates for import to A:M.

When they say "may take a long time", it means, if the model is pretty detailed or fairly complex, you might have to start the import and let it run overnight. Often when importing a polygon model into AM, the program will appear to freeze after a short time. In almost every case, it has not frozen, it is just chugging away, converting vertex points to CPs and edges to splines. Once the model finally imports, IMMEDIATELY save it as a mdl. Then it will most likely take you several hours of breaking/re-attaching splines to make smooth continuous loops, unless you want that faceted look.

Actually I have 8 cores but it is a Macintosh system that I have, so I am not sure how to get a second instance4 working.

That said, the process failed at 60%. Maybe I need more RAM - I only have 6GBs.

Nothing happened - for 4 hours - it read 60% and the Spinning Beachball of Death kept spinning. Looking with the Activity Monitor app at what was going on it said in bright red letters "Application not responding." So if it took several hours to go from 20% to 60%, logically it should only have taken another 2 or 3 hours to complete.

• Hash Fellow

How big is the original file? How may polygons is it?

So if it took several hours to go from 20% to 60%, logically it should only have taken another 2 or 3 hours to complete.

the last 40% is all up hill.

Try starting it before you go to sleep and let it run over night.

• Developer
You just create multiple copies of AM in your applications folder

This is not the way that I recommend .

Start instances from the terminal with

"open -na /Applications/Animation\\ Master\\ 16.0/Animation\\ Master.app"

or use/modify the attached apple script .

Be sure that You wait upto the application is started complete (thatswhy the delay 30 (wait 30 seconds)) in the apple script,

otherwise You got concurrency access to the ini file , which will give You a error message .

MultipleMaster.zip

I'll have to try Steffen's way, but if you do it the drag/copy way, you have to drag/copy the *whole folder,* not just the app. I usually drag/copy them to the desktop, renaming the folders A, B, C, D, etc. They only seem to work during the first session, so I think of them as temporary and always throw them away when I'm finished.

Success! 28 hours later it converted the .3ds file to a mdl - which I saved right away. It would be nice of my machine, which has 8 cores (16 virtual) could take advantage of some sort of distributed processing.

But trying to save it as a .mdl failed :(

Be sure that You wait upto the application is started complete (thatswhy the delay 30 (wait 30 seconds)) in the apple script,

otherwise You got concurrency access to the ini file , which will give You a error message .

MultipleMaster.zip

It works great! Thanks Yoda64

Steffen,

The script works fine, but the terminal command featured above, does not. It "assumes" that Animation:Master is stored in the Users Application account and not in the root account:

new-host:~ williaml$ open -na /Applications/Animation\\ Master\\ 16.0/Animation\\ Master.app

The files /Users/williaml/Master\, /Users/williaml/16.0/Animation\, and /Users/williaml/Master.app do not exist.

• Hash Fellow
If it is a technical object, it would be better to split it in movable and unmovable part, import these as Props and constrain it in the choreography to different bones. 5 years ago I made a video tutorial .

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16267

thanks for popping back in to point that out! :)

• Developer
The script works fine, but the terminal command featured above, does not. It "assumes" that Animation:Master is stored in the Users Application account and not in the root account:

new-host:~ williaml$ open -na /Applications/Animation\\ Master\\ 16.0/Animation\\ Master.app

The files /Users/williaml/Master\, /Users/williaml/16.0/Animation\, and /Users/williaml/Master.app do not exist.

In the terminal use only on backslash before a space, instead of two