Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lothario the Lover Boy

NancyGormezano

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks beautiul, Nancy. :)

You should write and illustrate a childrens' book to star your fabric textured characters.

Thanks Paul. I would love to illustrate a children's book. Finding, or creating a unique, interesting story is a tough hurdle for me. Could always do a classic, just for fun. There's a million of those.

I am also finding that "stills" can be even more work than animating. It has to be "perfect", because the viewer gets to investigate and examine, if they decide the image is compelling, or interesting enough. Unlike animation which whizzes by, all the ooopsies are not necessarily perceived by all people. It takes scrubbing thru the frames in order to find all the flaws, mistakes, usually. Not all viewers will do that. But everyone can take their sweet time (and should) to examine a still.

• Hash Fellow
Just playing...
Suggestion for his left foot... either turn the foot to point the toe more away from the body and have a more likely line from the leg to the foot (and have it not exactly parallel to the right foot) OR tilt the bottom of the foot so it isn't flat on the ground and making the ankle look so bent.

OR some combination of the two.

Suggestion for his left foot... either turn the foot to point the toe more away from the body and have a more likely line from the leg to the foot (and have it not exactly parallel to the right foot) OR tilt the bottom of the foot so it isn't flat on the ground and making the ankle look so bent.

OR some combination of the two.

I agree, I don't like how parallel his feet are. I could have done better with his feet. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm currently entertaining doing a Fred & Ginger dance routine with Lothario and Ada Idah (that's raggy-doll's name for today), or perhaps a "Les Twins" new style hip-hop dance type animation. Either choice will challenge me greatly for a posing exercise, if I do.

Thanks thejobe!

I've just started animating Lothario & Ada Idah doing the Fred & Ginger tap-dance thang.

This is truly first pass, only 173 frames (of 1100). If I continue, the whole thing will be about 50 secs long.

Still need to do: animate the faces, Lothario's tail, clean up footwork, arm work, hands, fingers, the remaining frames. Not sure what I will do yet for background, props (there is no fakeAO, thus it's a bit washed out).

I am using an existing clip of Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers as reference. I am finding that it is very tedious to copy them exactly, doesn't feel creative at all, so I'm trying to introduce some variation for these characters. We'll see if I actually continue with this, because I'm not sure what I'm learning, other than how to use a rotoscope for animating, but I wanted to do a test render & initial test with hair, and dynamic constraints. This dance routine has some potential for being included in an story/animation that I am thinking about.

test0_173compresshintloop.mov

• Hash Fellow
I am using an existing clip of Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers as reference. I am finding that it is very tedious to copy them exactly, doesn't feel creative at all, so I'm trying to introduce some variation for these characters.

It's an interesting test to see, but I don't think this will be a successful approach for what you are trying to do. It's very hard to get weight in the figures by rotoscoping movement from live action.

I don't think this will be a successful approach for what you are trying to do. It's very hard to get weight in the figures by rotoscoping movement from live action.

Yes, indeedy. Figuring out how to approach this is a major challenge, along with my clumsy rigging, and animating level of competence. Hurdles, mistakes so far:

1) the

I've foolishly chosen is quite energetic, fast tapping on toes alot. My copy that I've captured (via mediaconverter) is quite blurry, making it even more difficult for me to see precisely what's really going on. This might be a good thing, as then I am forced to insert some creativity.

2) Silly me, I left out the stairs, and other ground reference points. I intend to put in some pattern on ground (checkerboard), so that I can judge movement, foot placement, camera across floor, and then take it out or replace for final clip. I might even resort to putting stairs, or other elevation thingies back in (had originally thought I would just have them move forward in the beginning towards camera). I might have to add animating camera as well as I go, because I get confooosed as to relative distances, etc.

3) I started thinking that I would animate them in one place (similar to doing it in an action), and move the model bone for traveling. Bad idea. So I switched midstream. It's always confusing to me as to how to animate 1 long sequence (with no camera cut) of actors moving across screen. I think leave the model bone be, and only animate the bone bones is the better way to go. Any tips?

4) For me, tis very hard figuring out the major key poses. I decided to look for hip motion (when direction changes, eg reaches extreme of up/down) as well as foot plant and foot extreme high points. I have been keying all bones at those places, but would need to go back and insert intermediate keys so that feet don't slide, weight stays on planted foot, arms, legs don't penetrate in passing. I also want to add some cartoony squishy squashy eventually. As well as overlap of arm, hand motion, cute face expressions.

5) I am confused by both my foot rigs, Ida uses the literig leg scheme, Lothario uses 2008 leg rig scheme (but rest of him is literig). Tap dancing is a lot of tapping on toes. Both the rigs are very awkward as to coordinating heel bone and foot control null, as both influence the thigh bone directions, ankle angle. I am not sure how to approach posing them for least frustration (ie foot null first? heel first? then hip?). I haven't animated any toe control yet either - which is probably another foolish decision.

6) I anticipate trouble getting a pleasing sound track, ie get the tapping beat coordinated with the animation. The youtube sound track is "dirty" and starts mid-sentence. I probably should have started with good sound track, otherwise I'm guessing bad sound track will be annoying.

What sort of rig are you using?

Ida uses literig legs, Lothario uses 2008 rig legs. Rest of Ida is all literig (with minor mods), Lothario is a hybrid of literig and 2008 rig (legs only, no auto balance)

EDIT: Here's both of them - no images, materials

Lothario.zip

Edited by NancyGormezano

This may or may not help you. In the 2008 rig, you can turn OFF the knee follow the foot controller pose (percentage slider) and control the knee manually. Also, the ball controller can be translated so the pivot point of the foot controller is anywhere along the length of the foot. For example, you can translate it so the foot controller is located at the tip of the toes, instead of the heel. You can also turn OFF the IK legs to isolate the foot to position it, within the frame you are working on and then turn it back ON, without disturbing the positioning of the legs.

Hope that helps.

This may or may not help you. In the 2008 rig, you can turn OFF the knee follow the foot controller pose (percentage slider) and control the knee manually. Also, the ball controller can be translated so the pivot point of the foot controller is anywhere along the length of the foot. For example, you can translate it so the foot controller is located at the tip of the toes, instead of the heel. You can also turn OFF the IK legs to isolate the foot to position it, within the frame you are working on and then turn it back ON, without disturbing the positioning of the legs.

Hope that helps.

Oooooo yes, that does seem like it will help! I turned off knee follow foot controller (0%), and I translated the ball controller to a better position such that pivoting is easier to control, & coordinate with the foot controller. I haven't tested it extensively but it does initially seem easier, better - thanks!

I might even replace Ida's leg rig as well with 2008 legs (had been thinking of doing that even before you mentioned this), unless I can figure out a similar way with literig legs.

It's neat seeing what you've done so far! Here's an intermediate's thoughts.

2) Silly me, I left out the stairs, and other ground reference points. I intend to put in some pattern on ground (checkerboard), so that I can judge movement, foot placement, camera across floor, and then take it out or replace for final clip.
Yes, this is crucial! There were places where it looked like the feet were sliding, but I was not sure because it was almost as if they were dancing on a cloud (tap dancing on a cloud ... doesn't work that well).

3) I started thinking that I would animate them in one place (similar to doing it in an action), and move the model bone for traveling. Bad idea. So I switched midstream. It's always confusing to me as to how to animate 1 long sequence (with no camera cut) of actors moving across screen. I think leave the model bone be, and only animate the bone bones is the better way to go. Any tips?
I've (mostly) given up on both walk cycles and moving things with the model bone, and almost always move the other bones. That way when you move something (like feet), they stays there; otherwise you get foot slippage. Nothing new here, I'm sure, just an "I agree!".

4) For me, tis very hard figuring out the major key poses.
I think key poses are best to show either a significant transition ("Aha!" or "That's sweet" or "Look out!" or an extreme of emotion. It's almost something you could write a snippet of dialog for. That's not something that is easy to do with dancing, I believe.

5) I am confused by both my foot rigs [...]
Once you've figured out which rig would work best, use the same rig on both. Mark seems to have given you tips enough to show that 2008rig might do the trick.

6) I anticipate trouble getting a pleasing sound track, ie get the tapping beat coordinated with the animation. The youtube sound track is "dirty" and starts mid-sentence. I probably should have started with good sound track, otherwise I'm guessing bad sound track will be annoying.
So do you chalk up the first version as a learning experience and jump to a new dance? That's your call.

it's unbelievable how much how well how fast you've done, just unbelievable, and i've seen before that you can animate AND you've chosen Fred&Gin! you said this was about the hair for now - looking good! given their hair-dos you could exaggerate more when they nod fast, but that's also about the overall style.

do you tap dance? it's really helpful if you try doing some of what they're doing.

since you've chosen tap, regardless of what you want from the scene, what you really need is the sound.

this is less about dancing and more about making music with the floor. so this goes for every test render.

find first key poses through shoulder-hip lineation (back-front-straight up, left-right). find second key poses through the hand positioning (balance&drama). (that will sort of "give" you the legs)

a general attitude is keeping weight going upupup since the dance is about being able to drum the floor.

keep a general torso-striving-upward motion constant. hips have the same but in lesser degree.

(this would be a nice scene for the squetching you mentioned! kick-series start from shoulders - return; large arm moves start from hips - return)

keep the "footboll-kick" principle in mind while doing fast taps where you'll gain by not keying the actual tap-touch.

position toes during first blocking.

then decide why they're dancing. fun, drama, skilled dance or romance? are they a team working together or is this when they "finally meet"?

Hope that helps.

Oooooo yes, that does seem like it will help! I turned off knee follow foot controller (0%), and I translated the ball controller to a better position such that pivoting is easier to control, & coordinate with the foot controller. I haven't tested it extensively but it does initially seem easier, better - thanks!

I might even replace Ida's leg rig as well with 2008 legs (had been thinking of doing that even before you mentioned this), unless I can figure out a similar way with literig legs.

In the literig legs, you can turn off the manipulator options for the ball controller or translate it with the arrow keys.

Thanks Winkleman & Kat! Thanks Mouseman for your thoughts. I'm going to continue a bit, and see how far I want to take this.

In the literig legs, you can turn off the manipulator options for the ball controller or translate it with the arrow keys.

Yes, that works too! Thanks. Works differently than 2008, but will use it for now. I'll see which scheme I prefer after I've played more.

do you tap dance? it's really helpful if you try doing some of what they're doing.

Actually I mostly did ballet, toe, but was quite good at tap. I didn't like tap because it wasn't gurly enough for this Princess Cinderella Wannabe. I haven't tap danced in centuries, and I certainly wasn't able to do anything remotely like Fred & Ginger. But I did once beat out Patty Duke in a competition. She is much, much older than me of course. It was for a children's TV program, but I was way too shy, so I declined the opportunity. (photo is the only one I have scanned of me before a recital).

Your idea of me tap dancing now has proven to be very amusing to my husband. I'm really quite the spectacle singing and doing the Munchkin dance in "Wizard of Oz".

TopHatNancy.jpg

while patty duke draws a tickling inkling followed by a blank, your animation did that particular job knowing about Duke would have.

you tap dancing is the explanation for speed+quality of the clip. it's amazing.

joining your hubby in appreciating your generosity - the photo is :)

while patty duke draws a tickling inkling followed by a blank,

Patty Duke was introduced, and became instantly famous (won Oscar for best supporting actress) for the role of the young Helen Keller in "The Miracle Worker", opposite Anne Bancroft. From there on, it seems like it was downhill all the way.

• Hash Fellow

Patty Duke: introduced the concept of "identical cousins" to science.

I think leave the model bone be, and only animate the bone bones is the better way to go. Any tips?

Yes, place the model bone once at the beginning of the shot and animate the skeleton from there after.

I'm really quite the spectacle singing and doing the Munchkin dance in "Wizard of Oz".

In case anyone wasn't familiar with the dance and song of which I spoke -

. I am particularly fond of performing the Lollipop Kids tap dance part, and is still to this day, one of my specialities, guaranteed to scare the beejeebus outta ya.

Even then it's plain to see you were destined for great things Nancy. Like... performing as Mrs. Yoop!

Yes, I can honestly say there is nothing remaining on my bucket list. My work is done.

Still futzing, but slower futzing. Redid the beginning some. The grid is only for testing. I'm learning how to use both rigs, and I'm finding out how different the dance styles of Fred and Ginger are. Astaire appears almost amazingly always airborne, has much more nuanced gestures, unique style.

Still trying different music (I like this one, may tweak so they are in sync a bit more), still need to animate face expressions, tail, the remainder of dance (800+ frames), then tweak tweak tweak. (This clip does not have dynamic constraints on for ears, whiskas, tail). It takes me forever to get the poses. Slow going.

test0_297hairkey48mediumBubblymarch.mov

yours is just the best project, animated tap dancing. when finished, it'll be unique.

where are the clickety-clicks and the shhhhhhs? :)

Lothario is very convincing, good hefty motion, body is very good. will he have a prop of sorts on his paws, for the clicks?

toes almost there, a slanting angle someplace left to do (hers) but you already knew that.

was mostly thinking about arms this time. the way hands start the gathering of energy for a hop. i think it's about speed. and shoulders not moving.

i think patterned floor helps.

music was anti-motion somehow.

ref. your comment about Fred; 3D: only way to make something other than Fred hover like that.

Good feedback/comments Dblhelix - thanks!

where are the clickety-clicks and the shhhhhhs? :)

Will he have a prop of sorts on his paws, for the clicks?

music was anti-motion somehow.

The music from the youtube clip was too noisy (couldn't get a clean, listenable copy). That's one reason for the changed soundtrack. I'm hunting around for a substitute - and going for a "soft shoe" or more like a silent shoe or sock dance "tap" dance, because I also thought a hard tap noise wouldn't fit for those soft paws of Lothario, nor did I want to give him shoes, the other reason for finding different music. I haven't settled on this soundtrack (I thought it had potential), but if I do (or for whatever track I use), I expect to have to adjust the dancing some to more closely match the music.

toes almost there, a slanting angle someplace left to do (hers) but you already knew that.

was mostly thinking about arms this time. the way hands start the gathering of energy for a hop. i think it's about speed. and shoulders not moving.

This is still just first pass, key poses only. At this stage I am just trying to follow the choreography of the youtube clip, and retain somewhat the 2 different dancing styles of Fred and Ginger. No breakdown has been done yet (except maybe some foot movement). I expect to go back in, clean up foot placements, sliding, add in breakdown poses, slide keys around, build in more tooney motion, squish-squash, anticipation, followthru.

Yes shoulders, arms need work for leading the body movement. Ginger's arm movements in the youtube clip are severely limited due to her holding up her long skirt (to keep it out of her way), so I have mistakenly been following that. Since Ida Ada has a short skirt, this isn't needed, and looks strange/awkward for this character's outfit. I expect to later, either change the skirt so that it looks like it's movement is also guided by her hands, or change her shoulder, arm, hand motion. I suspect I'll more likely do the later. Fred's arm movements are looser, but again - still no breakdown poses done yet for Lothario.

i think patterned floor helps.

This floor is temporary (probably). For now it's a tool to help me see their movement across the floor. I haven't yet decided what kind of set I'll put them in. This sequence may be part of a story that I have in mind, but then again maybe not.

Here are some notes on moving from side to side, which your dancers do quite a bit.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39799

Ooooo...Nice! Thank you. When I get to doing breakdowns I will definitely be building in lag, ok, trying to build in lag of body parts, and make these characters have more tooney, exaggerated, fluid arc motion, that fits with their different character. I will refer back to your chart.

There is one thing that I don't agree with in that chart, with respect to REAL human motion, in that the upper torso lags behind the hips when going from side to side. In normal everyday movement, say just shifting back and forth from foot to foot (both planted on ground), depending on the individuals body mechanics (and age, agility), I would say most people are relatively stiff, and the upper body/torso will move lock step with the hips. In real dance (and toon motion of course) however - it is a different story, and there are different styles, depending on dance type, individual dancer style, choreographer style that will determine what leads first, follows last, or moves at all. I just reread what you said on chart - and I don't disagree, I had read it wrong the first time.

For now, I am using the youtube clip to mainly get the dance choreography, and possibly capture some of the style of Fred & Ginger. It is a dance routine, style I would never be able to create on my own.

Thanks John, Mark!

Edited by NancyGormezano

Had to try out FakeAo (3 pass - 8secs/frame) - What an amazing difference. Did a little tweaking, starting on some face movement.

Still on a quest for soundtrack/music. I think this royalty free one "One-Eyed Maestro" by Kevin MacLeod (Incompetech), has potential.

3passtest0147.png

3passFAKEhalfsizeOneEyeMaestro.mov

Yes, I like this music a lot! Their dance steps go quite well with it! I like how their dance style changes from parallel to facing each other right at the change to the 2nd "verse" of the music.

I don't know if you intended this, but I like how he is frequently glancing over at her while dancing, and she is mostly doing her own thing and not looking back at him at all ... kind of shows a little about their relationship, perhaps, or that she is more confident than he is, or she is just doing it and he's trying to stay in sync?

There is one little part in the first half where the dancers both move a little too quickly, but other than that the dancing is looking quite realistic. The FakeAO looks great, as well. It would be nice to have a quick backdrop instead of the solid blue.

It is a real treat [*dogs barking excitedly in the background*] I MEAN PLEASURE watching this develop, Nancy! (

Yes, I like this music a lot!

So far this is front runner - but I'm still looking

I don't know if you intended this, but I like how he is frequently glancing over at her while dancing, and she is mostly doing her own thing and not looking back at him at all ... kind of shows a little about their relationship, perhaps, or that she is more confident than he is, or she is just doing it and he's trying to stay in sync?

I've just started animating eye movement (no blinks, smiles, brows yet, and eye movement isn't done either). It is my intention to finish the face expressions & glancing between the 2 of them, but I will work on that more after I fix the dancing some. I couldn't stand the straight ahead vacant gaze anymore. I do intend for them eventually to look like they are involved & playing - she will be more coy & he will be more attentive. I hope to introduce some comedy, maybe some story going on with them - right now I am just struggling with getting the dance routine down. It is far far far FAR from done.

There is one little part in the first half where the dancers both move a little too quickly

Oh yeah - there is one part that bothers me like crazy - and so far I haven't figured out what to do about it - the steps are wrong - They don't fit, they're awkward. I don't like how the feet sometimes don't look anchored, and on, and on. I'm struggling.

It would be nice to have a quick backdrop instead of the solid blue.

This is not the final set. I only changed the sky color because the default/standard one is so boring. I have been playing with potential backdrops, and toying around with simple prop/set ideas in my mind. I don't know what the floor will be yet. I would love to do something with them dancing, splashing thru water - but I don't know if I have the stamina to twiddle with that - maybe I can do something like that for a short segment of the dance.

fake AO is it 64bit

Hmmm, good question. I'm using 32bit. I don't have 64 bit OS.

Thanks Steve, Chris for your comments!

(BTW - with reflections render time for 3 pass is 13 secs versus 8 secs without it)

orionnebulatest300falloff0000.png

antennagalaxietest0000.png

blueicetest0000.png

• Admin

Wow Nancy, that's working great. That latest music was really catchy as well.

I do have a favor to request... (I know your concentration is on the animation)

The flat plane for a ground and the flat color sky really doesn't do your work justice.

Please tell me you are planning the final environment with a foreground, middleground and background.

It could be something subtle that doesn't distract from the characters. I don't know... throw in some flowers and plants!

For what it's worth your characters really plus up the current environment! They are awesome. :)

Oh drat. I should read more carefully!

It would be nice to have a quick backdrop instead of the solid blue.
This is not the final set. I only changed the sky color because the default/standard

one is so boring. I have been playing with potential backdrops, and toying

around with simple prop/set ideas in my mind. I don't know what the floor will

be yet. I would love to do something with them dancing, splashing thru water -

but I don't know if I have the stamina to twiddle with that - maybe I can do

something like that for a short segment of the dance.

Press on, press on, Nancy!

If you add a bit of roughness to the ground, with low roughness scale, it will soften the reflection. Right now the reflection looks a bit to sharp.

This was just a start, experimenting with all sorts of backgrounds (not just the ones shown above). I am liking the floor with fall off best so far, that looks like a highly polished marble, however I am still experimenting. I will also be experimenting with fog, mist, steam (if I don't lose energy).

I am thinking I will eventually fool with the reflection filtering, add bump maps, fall-off. Especially if I do some water effects, in the style of Cirque du Soleil's production "Ka", where the surface changes into water. Who knows, even more creatures may be showing up (repeat here: if I don't run out of energy).

This is my usual style of approaching animation projects. Start with seed idea, minimal planning, insert lots of stream of consciousness, change lots of stuff mid stream, scrap lots of stuff. Everything everybody says NOT to do. This is usually the best way for me to break inertia, and get going. I like to let what develops take me wherever it wants to go, with complete freedom to change. Keeps it open & more fun for me.

There is something funny going on with reflections and shadows, and flat shading and front projection in ver 16 - but it is more likely I had some setting that is weird last night. Sometimes I find I have to clear things out, and reset a bunch of stuff to get back to what I had. Will investigate more today.

Thanks Rodney, Mark for your comments.

Start with seed idea, minimal planning, insert lots of stream of consciousness, change lots of stuff mid stream, scrap lots of stuff.
I never would have guessed! :) In all seriousness, your awesome and inspiring results speak for themselves.

Here's 10 more seconds. (3 pass with FakeAO, 12 secs/frame for 720 x 405).

Still figuring out the set.

Still trying out different music. This clip is Modern Jazz Samba by Kevin MacLeod, Incompetech. Others being considered are in the following genres: Comic (One Eyed Maestro by Macleod heard in previous post), Bluesy number (Niles Blues by MacLeod), Middle Eastern (La Roza Linda by Al-Asdeka), 1930's Fred Astaire (Crazy Feet, Cheek to Cheek).

Still to do (besides music):

20ish more secs of the dance, and clean-up, polish

Face animation

Tail animation

Uh....and....um....uh....Think up a Story! (& animate any additional non-dancing)

Set, props details

Camera work

(Thanks Mouseman for your encouragement - sorry I didn't respond early)

chor21d2_0000_0622wModernJazzSambaH264.mov

orionnebulatest300falloff0622.png

I guess it depends on the look you are going for. I see lots of children's shows that are cg that don't have MB but I think its because of the render hit and the extra costs involved. If you watch contemporary Stop motion like Caroline I believe they added some Post MB with plugins like real smart motion blur.