Hash, Inc. Forums

SIM CLOTH

Sean delgatto

Having issues creating the simcloth effect. I followed the instructions in the AM book, set up the force and turbulence. And yet when I clicked on simcloth simulate, nothing happens. I've looked for video's but there are usually non applicable. Or they are about what do do after creating all the stuff. Do you guys know a link that will show how to work in AM vrs 13 with Windows xp sp2? Meaning that when they go to a link that I should see the same link in my project as well :)

Thank ya

-Sean

LOL of course when I do [Help>About Animation:Master] and bla bla: it shows Version 13.0 and then the next digit is cut off! Anyhoo, when I do [simulate cloth] it works fine, my problem is I cant make the cloth in the first place following the instructions in the book. :)

The old crumudgeon here... do yourself a BIG favor... don't use outdated software and wonder why it does not give you updated results. It's like running Windows95, and wondering why it's so hard to connect it to a network when everyone else using Win7 has no problems. There has been a lot of updates to A:M since 13... a LOT. It's worth the expense especially if you are using advanced features.

The old crumudgeon here... do yourself a BIG favor... don't use outdated software and wonder why it does not give you updated results. It's like running Windows95, and wondering why it's so hard to connect it to a network when everyone else using Win7 has no problems. There has been a lot of updates to A:M since 13... a LOT. It's worth the expense especially if you are using advanced features.

LOL definitely know, but even the earliest version of Hash still did a pretty good job :P And I have the two AM books in which the instructions for sim cloth seem to be straight forward however just didn't work. And when I looked up tutorials for sim cloth the stuff was made already and was showing how to use Force to make it work which I totally understand. Its just I was looking for the A-Z tutorial on creating the simcloth material and assigning it to the object to become cloth and then see it actually behave that way. Cloth can take some time to work with it right yet the hash book dedicated page 191 192 and 193.

I'm curious if any of the Video DVD's for sale at the hash store give a more in depth look as to how to work with cloth. I feel like I'm one click away LOL from making it work just fine.

p.s. I'm not complaining about the software not working LOL I'm complaining about myself not being able to know my way through the problem...if I'm complaining at all. XD

So thats either a digit cut off on the screen shot of my version or its version "I"

post-9110-1292116816_thumb.jpg

That looks like v13 "L"

What picture is on your CD?

Its the Tinwoodsmen of OZ on the CD :)

There are two CD's with Tinwoodsman and Scarecrow on them. If Tinwoodsman's chest is chrome, that has v13l on it and can run v13t (as well as 14c, if I'm remembering correctly). If Tinwoodsman has a gold chest, the disc can run v15 and the v16 beta.

There are two CD's with Tinwoodsman and Scarecrow on them. If Tinwoodsman's chest is chrome, that has v13l on it and can run v13t (as well as 14c, if I'm remembering correctly). If Tinwoodsman has a gold chest, the disc can run v15 and the v16 beta.

LOL Im going to guess chrome even though its a little yellowish, probably from reflecting the yellow off the scare crow.

After installing it I did the tutorial again, still didnt work. Interesting enough the book said to go to ADD GROUP then click attached, yet they dont talk about what attached is, where it came from, how to create it, or even what or why its there. Kinda missed a step in the step by step instructions and the pages are in sequential order so not like a page fell out or something.

LOL Im going to guess chrome even though its a little yellowish, probably from reflecting the yellow off the scare crow.

After installing it I did the tutorial again, still didnt work. Interesting enough the book said to go to ADD GROUP then click attached, yet they dont talk about what attached is, where it came from, how to create it, or even what or why its there. Kinda missed a step in the step by step instructions and the pages are in sequential order so not like a page fell out or something.

The Tinwoodsman has a gold chest and green body parts on the v15 disc...I'm thinking you have the v14 disc (which can run v13 as well).

The Tinwoodsman has a gold chest and green body parts on the v15 disc...I'm thinking you have the v14 disc (which can run v13 as well).

Interesting enough when it finished the V13T upgrade the tn man changed to a gold chest plate.

But the sim cloth still didn't work for me. :(

• Hash Fellow

I believe this is the page in question. Why, it's as simple s the New York City Subway System...

ClothPage.PNG

I have just tried the Flag tut in V13 and the elements it refers to are all there, however, i find that the actual "Attach Group" feature which makes the flag stick to the pole does not work in v13. My flag falls to the ground.

Since you have a disc that will also run v14 I recommend you install that to try. You can have both v13 and v14 on your computer at once. Of course you will follow the installer to make sure it is installing to some place that is not your v13 folder.

Or, for the moment, you can make the flag tut work by going back to the model window and excluding the first column of CPs of the flag from the Cloth group. Then you can skip the instructions on pg 193 except for the last part where you start the sim going.

btw, Attach Groups work in v16

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I get It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Got it to work and understand how it works. LOL Thank you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now on to problem number two! LOL

Doing pretty well with Hair system but now Im trying to use it to create Feathers like MR. Dodo. His Picture in the book looks great however despite changing thickness I can't seem to get the ends of the feathers to be rounded off like his in the photo. I tried Cap ends on and off but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Is he done with hair thickness or image map hair?

That would be an interesting way to do it, though I wanted to use the decale attached to the skin itself to give the hair color (attributes) already able to do that just fine. Will try some stuff and see what happens. The book showed a picture of the bird and said it was done with thickness yet the tips of the feathers where curved. WEIll have to experiment. Wish they had a specific setting to control it like taper or what have you. :)

Is he done with hair thickness or image map hair?

That would be an interesting way to do it, though I wanted to use the decale attached to the skin itself to give the hair color (attributes) already able to do that just fine. Will try some stuff and see what happens.

FYI, you can use an image for the hair emitter AND it will also take on the color attributes of the decal. That way you can make as complex, or as simple a shape as you'd like, as well as give it variation in coloring along the length of the hair. The image you use for the emitter doesn't have to be plain white. And you will have easier control of the shape.

hairdrivenbydecal.jpg

Looking good Sean!

Hair and Cloth aren't difficult but it does take some experimenting to get a good feel for what works best.

Don't you love those ureka moments when the plan comes together. :)

Most definitely love the ah ha's after hours and horus of torment and frustration. Then go back to creating again :)