Hash, Inc. Forums

planet glow effect?

new guy

• Hash Fellow

Planet glow makes the brighter edge around a planet with an atmosphere.

I think that clip is a combination of highlights that have been upped in post and soft focus on top of that.

A:M has a post fx to exxagerate plugins, i forget the name, but doing it in post gets you more control.

You can do soft focus in A:M be putting a blurred 50% transparent layer over a sharp original in a Composite project.

• Admin

That's a pretty neat character/commercial.

A:M has a post fx to exxagerate plugins, i forget the name, but doing it in post gets you more control.

That clip does look like it's had a lot of post processing work applied to it.

If trying to duplicate the referenced image with post effects it looks to me a combination of three post effects: Blur, Bloom and Denoise. Blur obviously would blur the creature/background, Bloom would push the highlights (and create a moody film look) and Denoise would blend pixels together... like blur but a more organic effect).

Ultimately, I would probably composite two passes of the image together in photoshop (if a still image)... or if animated with A:M! (one with the post effects applied and one without) to get the detail in the creature's face combined with smoother background and body.

Planet glow might give you a small part of the effect but it's mostly for generating a glow at the extremes edges of an object. That isn't likely to produce the effect we are seeing IMO.

Anistropics and Sub Surface Scattering would also produce nice (but different) effects.

(This submitted to suggest there is more than one way to skin a cat/wormcreature)

Note: The smoke effect would be the toughest aspect to recreate.

• Hash Fellow

"Bloom". That's what i was thinking of. It tries to simulate how bright specular highlights on film can spread beyond their normal bounds.

It has something to do with light excessively ricocheting betwixt the film surfaces.

Be careful with Bloom settings. A little will go a long way. A trick in post that works on the "rim" area is to layer a "White" version of the character underneath the normal character. Then add some glow or blurr....This gives a nice edge rim light that can be controlled underneath via the white layer settings.