Hash, Inc. Forums

# of patches to use

wildcard

I've been modeling basic object, with the least amount of patches and control points when ever possible.

But as I'm exploring the forums and the Exta's DVD I've ran across a few projects that contained not all to complex model with a very high patch count.

What are the advantages (or disadvantages) of having a high patch count on a model?

I've been modeling basic object, with the least amount of patches and control points when ever possible.

But as I'm exploring the forums and the Exta's DVD I've ran across a few projects that contained not all to complex model with a very high patch count.

What are the advantages (or disadvantages) of having a high patch count on a model?

- The higher the patchcount, the lower the realtime-performance.

- The higher the patchcount, the longer the rendertimes, SO this is only true to a certain amount. If you have to move the camera very very close to a patch, the calcuation will rise up, so in such situations a few more patches can help.

- High patchcounts render faster than displacementmaps (if the created geometry should be the same and the patches are used wisely.

- Animating / Rigging / Texturing higher patchcounts is harder than animating smaller patch-counts.

That is all I can think of right now... there may be more to that so...

See you

*Fuchur

• Hash Fellow

It's possible that some of those do not represent the ultimate in economy. But better to get it done imperfectly than not at all. :)

Aside from the advantages Fuchur listed, a big one is that it will be much easier to make a smooth surface with minimal patches.

Suppose you were lathing a vase.

the spline on the left is all that's needed to make that shape and will be smoother than the spline on the right unless you spend lots of time adjusting all the extra CPs to be exactly right.

latheribs.JPG

Try it in A:M yourself.

On render time, I tried three different spheres in the default chor

a 32 patch sphere took 19 seconds to render 24 frames

a 2048 patch sphere took 23 seconds

a 8092 patch sphere took 33 seconds

So there is a hit for higher patch counts but it's not severe.

When it comes time to weight and rig your character, a nice and economical splineage makes things easier... but sometimes in animation as you flex your character around you might wish you had used more splines here and there. Most of us learn by making tons of overkill patches, and as you progress and learn what is really needed you eventually become more and more conservative and minimal.