Hash, Inc. Forums

mtpeak, I need shadow passes

robcat2075

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Hash Fellow

Mark, here's what to do:

-replace the Land Proxy with one that does not have holes for the manhole or storm sewer

-turn OFF the garbage Can, Park bench, sign, manhole, and Storm drain

- got to render and load this Preset

-you'll need to set the appropriate frame range, filename and destination

-render

Hopefully the buses were animated far enough to get the shadows off screen.

EXRShadowBufferRender.pre

This will render to EXR with Occlusion and Shadow buffers which i can extract in an A:M Composite

ShadowPassParts.JPG

thanks!

Well, I didn't have the bus animated far enough for no shadow, oops. So, I'll rerender the color alpha and then I'll render the shadow pass.

I am having issues with the group properties on the bus. It is not rendering the same as it did when I rendered it the first time, I think I rendered it in v13. I don't know where the problem is.

I thought I had already fixed the group thing, and I did, but there was something else going on. I think I got it though. The problem is the options for the ground. I had it set to "Receive Shadows" and "Shadow Only" set to ON, so the bus was the only thing rendering. This worked in v13 and the ground still casted "Occlusion" onto the bus, but in v16 this does not happen and thought it was a group problem. So I turned the "Shadow Only" option OFF and set the transparency to 100% on the ground and now it renders the way it did before.

I'm not sure how it's suppose to work, so I don't know if something is broken now or before.

• Hash Fellow

My test was in V16

For the EXR pass I had the ground set as if it were a regular render, none of the shadows only stuff.

For the bus, render a regular TGA pass with no alpha with the bus and the background in the render, and another one with Alpha ON that is just the bus and i can take the alpha from that to mask out everything but the bus form the regular pass.

For the EXR shadow pass, I know I don't need the shadow only stuff. I am already rendering a color alpha pass, which I need the occlusion of the ground casted on the bus, but the ground to not render.

Your way I would need 3 renders, my way should only needs 2. Don't forget, I have 2 bus animations, that would be 6 renders I would need to do.