Hash, Inc. Forums

My Robot Movie

Rodney

• Admin

Here is my first attempt at the little guy.

More of a proof of concept than anything... it went a bit better than I thought it would.

Proof positive that a good plan on paper will help prevent trouble when creating in 3D. In this case the robot might have looked 3D capable on paper but certain area prove difficult in 3D. (Note: In other words I didn't have a good plan so struggled a bit!)

The big hands and big feet are sure to cause problems in animation as well.

Ah... it feels good to spline something again! :)

RoboyRocketPOC.jpg

• Admin

Thanks to all for the comments and encouragements... and a special hello to Doug who has been hanging with me for a long time...

Triath!!! You are seriously scaring me!

Either something wierd is going on or you are hacking my brain. :blink::blink::blink:

You'll understand a bit more of what I'm talking about when I post my next animation.

(very afraid)

-Rodney

• Admin

Sorry if this one is a bit large for a gif file... but I was having fun!

MRMt1.gif

The year 2020 has long been of interest to me as evidenced by my studio name "Fuj10n2020". Pronounced Fusion2020 it incorporates several esoteric themes drawn from my travels and experience. Mt. Fuji (japan) was usually in sight from where I lived for 8 years and my wife's family still lives in the Tokyo area. The binary numbers 1 and 0 are represented for reasons to strange to go into here! The whole title is also a play on the oft used term "Vision 2020" which usually means little to those using it other than a way to motivate subordinates. Any vision should resonate deeper than that.

It's always good to have a vision of where you are headed and short, mid-term and long term goals along the way. Think about it... the year 2020 is not really that far away. Hope I live that long. ;)

• Admin
(I don't believe I've ever seen anyone put a whole movie trailer in a gif before. 

LOL! For some reason I have a fondness for the gif animation format.

Legal problems notwithstanding it still seems to me a really neat format.

It especially meets my needs for low rez production of tests and posting of images to the net.

Obviously, if I needed sound it would be best to move on to another format.

I'm sorely tempted by the flash format and have experimented a little...

Still... I can't help but wonder how an hour and a half movie would play via gif! :blink::blink::blink:

:)

• Admin

Robcat said:

He doesn't look like the Crush, Kill and Destroy type.

I haven't forgot the Crush, Kill, Destroy types... They are waiting in the wings.

Every hero must have his adversary.

(I was tempted to make the cute guy an evil destroyer of worlds... but... nah... I think I'll stay a bit more predictable than that!)

Best,

- Rodney

• 3 months later...
  • Admin

Have managed to convert some of my older comic inspired characters into 3D of late. Time for an update. I'm trying to focus on converting old ideas that fit into the MRM storyline first and cybergirl world second.

Just shy of 20 years in the making this story "Phantom Force" was to chronicle the adventures of a team of robots sworn to protect the galaxy... MRM takes place several hundred years after the height of their adventures but reintroduces a few characters from that age. The guy I call "Gemfire" is the one that is featured in both eras. There is much mystery surrounding the origins of these mighty warriors and MRM delves into that mystery.

PhantomForce1.jpg

Its hard to make out but the date on the comic reads: Feb 1985... so just short of 20 years this story has been trying to be told!

Note the size comparison of Gemfire to Roboy Rocket.

These Phantom class robots are about 50 foot tall. Each has his personal weapon but most fight with a sword. (Not Shown)

At one time they were the 'protectors of the realm'. They've since fallen on harder times.

• Admin

If you've been hanging out in the Anime Forum you've probably seen this 360.

I haven't done a lot of detail with his face (very little actually) as there will be closeups in several scenes that will require a lot of detail. These guys heads are like rooms so they are models all by themselves.

gemfire2.gif

Hi Rodney!

It is the first time i see this thread. Nice models! It might look odd in a robot thread, but i like one good character that i think was very expressive called Mags. And i also think the robot you built before you decided to quit for awhile is very interesting (kind of wonder why you wanted to quit then?).

Happy robot year!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Thanks Paul and everyone!

While I'd like to say I'm gearing up for a great big update it looks more like I'm locking down for the winter or sumthin'. :(

I'll be away for a couple weeks but with a little luck and a laptop... who knows. :)

I've got several projects waiting in the wings and I'm pleased with some recent experiments I've been testing.

The next big thing I hope to do under this heading is to finalize a script for a trailer-like glimpse into the world of MRM. From there it is on to the main story within the story itself. I see the script as being all important to making it all come together.

Of all my projects My Robot Movie is always the fun one to return to.

My other big project is entirely too serious. :ph34r:

Where "Project 2" is gritty, stark and detailed (entirely beyond my present talent), My Robot Movie is suppose to be full of fun, gif-animation-like and "the kid in all of us" adventure.

I'm not sure I'm up to either task... but the attempt has been fulfilling thus far.

Thanks for the encouragement! :)