Hash, Inc. Forums

My Robot Movie

Rodney

• Admin

MRMbanner005.jpg

***Warning Graphics Intensive - Loading Images... ***

Alright, time to get serious.

Here is what I plan to keep my focus on for the immediate future.

The parameters leave me a lot of room to experiment and learn how to put together a movie. Not to mention experiment with a full spectrum of modeling, action, fx, and testing, testing, testing...

At it's core is the germ of an idea:

WIP0000.gif

John Henderson said he liked it so... It's got to be worth pursuing I'm thinking. ;)

Tentatively my overarching title is simply: My Robot Movie

This forum is the inspiration.

I'll try to credit where credit is due... and learn from my mistakes.

Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it! :)

• Admin

Alright, Starting to have some fun now! :D

I've lost a little of the cartoony look. Probably need to go back in and get it back.

wip0002.gif

Airplane modified off the Hash CD... the A-10.

Lots of stuff broke and/or not modeled correctly but I felt the need to animate.

• Admin

...and while I'm waiting on another render...

...a character I started a couple months ago.

His name is Mags.

Don't ask me why he's called Mags. Ask his Mom. ;)

wip0003.gif

After designing the head I didn't feel like creating a body so...

wip0004.gif

I threw his head onto a robobody!

There's a story there somewhere... at least there better be. :lol:

*Added: The face was created as an experiment in QUICKLY modeling a cartoon face. The face is just a cylinder quickly tweaked into the shape of a face... worked pretty well if I do say so myself... :lol:

• Admin
I am wondering about the Hercules-type character, though. How does ho fit in with the robots?

I could lie to you and make up a good story but...

I just dropped him into the scene at the time because I happened to be modeling him when I rendered the robots.

He probably does fit into the story as of right now though he's off planet. ;)

He comes from a race of dog-like warriors. I believe he escaped the arena just before the civil war began... yeah... that's it... the civil war... now I remember :D

• Admin

...part of a toon render. A close up of our hero.

wip0005.gif

Sadly, I can count 4 modeling errors without even trying... :(

Jim,

Rest assured, since the title is "My Robot Movie" I feel somewhat constrained to keep the robot count as high as reasonably possible.

I do requests! If you'd like to see a certain effect or feature highlighted in "My Robot Movie" I'll certainly try to fit it in. I'm having fun coming up with a few ways to fit Hair and Flocking into the story... :)

Hey Rod, this looks cool :) I think the robot looks pretty damn good in 3d. He just needs some of the detail panelling you've put into the security bot but I'm sure that's coming.

Two small suggestions

The boots are better in the drawing, they're less massive and I like the shape more. :D Also if you plan on animating him I'd add thumbs, it'll give the robot a far greater gestural range.

Mags has a great face, love the expression. But if you insist on putting him onto a robot body I vote for a glass jar /helmet filled with green nutrient :P

• Admin
...if you insist on putting him onto a robot body I vote for a glass jar /helmet filled with green nutrient

Cool. Another use for those barrels of green glowing liquid I've got all over the place. Thanks for the idea!

:P

***Should have mentioned... The boots and hands/arms... I got lazy and decided to remodel them later. I too like the boots in the drawing.... and the face... and...

But, I wanted to see how difficult it would be to launch the airplane. It went better than I expected. :)

Concerning thumbs... I may have to resort to paper to figure out how they would best be designed. I had started to add them when I got distracted...

This is cool ! I just love robots.

For hair, how about an insecure security bot (round headed one) who looks bald and has always wanted hair. Give you a chance to try out some hair functions.

Maybe Mags is a scientist developing a new breed of hairy security bots?

Doug

I've lost a little of the cartoony look. Probably need to go back in a get it back.

Ah... I was going to say something about using the toon render mode but, now that all the pictures have loaded, I see you've already done that. Have you played with the gradients settings, yet? You can get a lot of cool looks by creating your own sets. Like one for daylight and another for night scenes, etc..

Anyhow, this is a very cool idea you've got started and I am very impressed.

Mike Hart

• Admin

Doug,

I'll file your suggestion! Most of the robots in this particular world will probably conform rather closely to a 'real world' model. Real world in this case means that any 'personality quirks' would have had to have been programmed into the robot. It would make an interesting back story as to HOW this particular robot came to have this insecurity...

There is ALWAYS room for the exception to the rule. Comedic relief will, no doubt, have to enter into the story from time to time. :D Keeps things intesting and helps flesh out characters, motivations, etc. Do these robots have motivations... if they are programmed thusly...

Artificial intelligence and sentient or near-sentient behavior will be examined where necessary. :)

What lies ahead:

I'm returning to some ideas and imaginings I had as a child for this project. The mind of a child is a treasure trove. While my childhood may not qualify as such... I'll see what I can reach back and find.

For instance, prior to seeing Star Wars, I had seen some photos of the cast in TV Guide or somewhere that sent my mind soaring to different worlds. It would be many years before I saw Star Wars but the characters I imagined based on what I 'supposed' C3PO and R2D2 were like may be revisited.

I've had a host of abandoned ideas that I can return to for the project. I just need to make sure they serve the story and/or goals of the project. ;)

• Admin

Mike,

I'm still not certain how toon rendering will come into play... I have another project or two that require toon rendering but... they'll have to wait.

Have you played with the gradients settings, yet? You can get a lot of cool looks by creating your own sets. Like one for daylight and another for night scenes, etc..

Need to experiment more... I'll post a pic of 'the most interesting' toon effect I've achieved soon. It's a spaceship... the effect almost moves it out of the toon effect zone though... :huh:

Don't hold me to it but unless I decide to use toon rendering as the primary style for the project the place you are most likely to seen toon rendering is on TV screens, digital (heads up) displays, etc.

Of course there is the eventual crossover with the 'other' project where the toon characters enter the scene... but that's a different story. ;)

• Admin

Robert,

Thanks!

Lathing is Fun. Extruding can be work.

But without extrusion it would be a very boring 3D world.

One of the reasons I'm focusing on robots is that they are relatively straightforward to create. (at least the ones I've created by messing around directly in A:M)

I plan to pull a few more organic ones from out of the past (pre A:M awareness sketches, etc.) That's where I'll be honing my skills!

I would encourage you to do a little of the same. If you are comfortable with something do that BUT... add a little from your developing skills set each time.

If you get stuck with a character... take a break... build the caracter's car, house... world. That should keep you busy for at least one afternoon. :lol:

Once you start getting things built around your characters you'll find you have elevated your level of interest in the characters as well... and vice versa.

After all once you've created parts of the world to interact with, you'll want to have your character interact with them.

(Mainly talking to myself here I guess. Trying to keep splining)

Thanks for listenin'

*Added - Note to self: Spell Check

... (Mainly talking to myself here I guess.  Trying to keep splining) ...

Just to let you know, you're not talking to you're self (well maybe you are TALKING to your self :lol: )

Thought I'd chime in and add that you've got my interest peaked with the "My Robot Movie" theme. And the Mags character, well, looks like he has a lot of , well, Character. His hands and feet though :huh: ?

Keep on Splining!

• Admin

Haven't found the Make Dragon Button yet but... the Build real model export plugin works nicely! :D:D:D

Sorry if this is too small... trying to keep the images downloadable.

May link to another if anyone cares to view.

A older render. I was surprised I still had the .prj file.

If I was to redo this scene I'd make a blank grid move forward with the spaceship making the spline model disappear as the 'real' one comes out of the screen.

• Admin
... I look forward to seeing them crush , kill and destroy!

You really should lay off the caffiene. :angry::o:unsure:

I've got a PG13 filter on my mind so I'm not sure what you are talking about. ;)

Can we show such things on the internet?

D Joseph Designs? You there? Feel free to steer me down the right path!

Maybe I need to view the "March of the Rubber Duckies" a few times to keep me on the path. Now where's that link...

Seriously though...

There is a reason I'm a cartoonist.

I get to much 'real world' every day...

*Truth in advertisement: If making money is required to be considered a cartoonist... I am NOT a cartoonist. :(

• Admin

I'll post a couple more and call it quits for a little while...

This one has more leeway in his programming than most.

He's quite happy to adjust available parameters to meet your needs.

wip0009.gif

Hmmm. I seem to have several robots that don't have upper arms.

*** And One Eye! ***

I do not know why that is... <_>

• Admin

...and a simple 360 degree rotation test for a helo prop.

propd.gif

Here is the difference deleting the last frame makes.

rotor2.gif

An accessory for militarized security mobile units.

*Edit: Deleted a frame at the end for smoother cyclic action.

I definitely prefer using Euler rotation in my experiments.

I'll have to find out more about the other types and report the differences.

I agree, very inspring and very cool. Not to mention very brave, to stick your work out there as you're working!

Do you plan on letting us in to the story as well (when you have it)? I can understand if not--stories are very personal, after all, at least for me--but I'd love to know how these guys will interact.

Zach

• Admin

Zach,

I owe you bigtime!

I logged in this morning and read your post just before leaving to take my daughter to school. On the walk, the subject of storyline weighed heavy on my mind. The overarching storyline is simply too epic in nature (and unfortunatley so to are all my creations :lol: )

The day of inevitable slowdown in progress is at hand. I'll be back to work (real world) soon. I took about a week off to relax... haven't done much of that! :lol:

Anyway...

Your post directed me toward the selection of a portion of the story that might be accomplishable within a reasonable amount of time.

Concerning sharing a bit from the storyline. In time... in time...

Your post reminded me that this is not necessarily "My" story. An important revelation to the whole structure of "My Robot Movie"--believe me!. I'd like to share the story but I'm not sure I can given the chaotic nature of all elements at this point in time. "Can" I share part(s) of the story with the list? I guess the answer is no for now as the story is just too broad...

I see a script in the future... but in the short term images and ideas must continue to flow...

Not to mention... revealing to much would definitely ruin any WOW factor. ;)

Certainly not enough WOW factor in the world. At least the part that I have any control over.

I think all of this is coming together though...

Spline by spline by spline...

Now, on the way BACK from school, I remembered another storyline that PERFECTLY fits into "MRM" continuity. Unfortunately, it also is an epic of it's own... <_ thanks... i owe you one for that too src="https://www.hash.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/minecraft_mad.gif" alt=":angry:">

• Admin

Zach wrote:

Zoinks! I suppose the death of President Lincoln is my fault too!

You A:M guys are eerily psychic... truely scarely...

I really doubt you had anything to do with the first two...

But the third...

Where will you be on the night of the 24 April 2020? <_>

Don't answer that question... until you talk to a lawyer.

• Admin
I haven't been able to come up with an original idea in forever. I love the characters and the ideas behind them.

It is written: There is nothing new under the sun (Where's my KJT)

My efforts are a testament that there is no exception to the rule.

I'll bet you have a lots and lots of ideas! Just smash a few of them together and see what form they take. :)

FWIW KJT=King James Translation

• Admin

Speaking of not having any ideas...

I figure I must be in a fit of depression 'cause I don't really have anything to post as an update...

One of my computers crashed while trying to install a new video card... that is probably the cause of my current state of mind.

For a minute or two I even thought I might be able to work some things into a submission for this months image contest... not lookin' good at all...

The forum seems to have largely shut down for the weekend as well :(

What to do... what to do...

• Admin

Took the family to the Denver museum today... gave me all kinds of ideas.

Sure wish I could get motivated to implement them.

Until sleep or motiviation overtakes me here's a shot of some Cryogreen tubes... wonder what's inside them... ;)

cryogreen.gif

Couldn't get into adding materials... :(

• 2 weeks later...

WONDERFUL!, your really flowing with your work. You've gottn so much in a little time! I like your style. Is everything going to be toon in the final movie? Isn't it funny that no matter how much some one does the same subject matter-- in AM-- your style shows through. How we draw concepts... and it actually turns out looking like our style. I think AM is FOR artists.

• Admin

Rich,

Thanks for the comments!

I've been tempted by 'toon' but will probably only run it in render tests. One possible exception would be if I use the toon settings that produce results such as the spaceship. Straight toon or anime, unless I go fully with that style would be too distracting. A second exception would be to composite toon lines over the top of regularly rendered scenes. A third exception... (you get the idea, right?)

I'll use whatever works within a unified 'style'. That style hasn't been finalized yet for this project. The style in this case must serve the story and the story is still being worked.

...and I agree that A:M is for artists... it's for us hobbyists too!

Thanks again.

Keep on splinin'!

Straight toon or anime, unless I go fully with that style would be too distracting. A second exception would be to composite toon lines over the top of regularly rendered scenes. A third exception... (you get the idea, right?)

Yeah, I get the idea.regular render with compositing the lines sound new to me. It sounds promising.... and you won't loose the 3d value that way. But your models seem to have a comic edge- so why not? It would suit your style, even though straight regular 3d shadow render also suits it. ;) Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Finally figured out my digital camera problems.

It seems my adapter, which is only about a month old, isn't working!

Confirmed accessibility via Kinko's and bought a new adapter.

Arrrgh! I was so focused on getting those pictures off the camera that I couldn't move on with the project. Talk about undisciplined... <_>

Here at last is an update.

This one, for lack of a better term is called the Beastiary. If you look really close at the bottom of the screen you'll see a bunch of different colored images. They are pictures from the Zoo and museum. These pictures are to go in the black windows as images. If a close up is required, which I think one shot will require, that cage will have to have modeled creatures and environment to capture the detail.

The Beastiary Test

beastiary.gif

Here is an example of one of the cage placeholding images, courtesy of the Denver Museum:

desertsmall.gif

• Admin

Good question, Rich.

There are several work arounds. What I've experimented with today was using curved images all connected in a panaramic view.

For what I'm experimenting with here the flat pictures will probably be okay.

This is not a hollywood blockbuster... It's just... My Robot Movie. :)

If anyone has solutions to these type problems though... I'm all ears.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's me playing with reverse storyboarding... using 3D to develope plates for storyboarding:

It's a test...

beastiarystoryboardplates.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

I ran across this little gem of a render today while I was formatting a few floppy disks. On one disk there was this picture of a robot... one of my first in 3D...

I'm posting it here not because it was done in Animation:Master (it wasn't) but rather because It reminds me that we all have to start this journey into storytelling at some point in life. We wouldn't all be here in the A:M Community if it were otherwise.

As I recall I had made my mind up to pursue 3D graphics as a means to tell a story by the time I rendered this. Sad in one way... just cylinders and spheres really. But exciting in another way... I can see I was already on my way.

As humbling as it may be... tis my journey to travel. ;)

first.gif

A very uneducated Rodney creates one of his first scenes in CorelDream.

Ahhhhh, now I feel better. I've been waiting for an update to this thread.

But then ... awwww ... its not really an update to the thread.

But .... heyyyyyyyyy .... Rodney was a noob once too! And btw - this doesn't look to shabby to me anyway.

Cheers man!

Doug

• Admin

Doug,

Thanks for retaining some interest! :)

I do think about My Robot Movie from time to time but don't want to waste anyone time's any more than necessary...

I keep hoping to get a day or two to concentrate on both this WIP and the Cybergirl WIP with Javier.

I am closing in on a scheduling solution... have to as I haven't been creating much at all. I've never been one to work on parts of a problem... then go back and finish it at a later date. Usually I go for the whole thing in one sitting approach.

My Robot Movie is one of my first attempts to break a project down and add to it on a regular basis. I haven't been doing so great at that lately though, have I?

Finding that early pic..... and posts like yours are bringing me back!

Thanks for that!!! :)

• Admin

Sharky,

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

There is currently no "My Robot Movie" to see outside of the Work In Progress area. In fact, there may never be a "My Robot Movie" at all... but I doubt that... I hope to smash everything together some day and say.... finished.

"My Robot Movie" is an area within the A:M Forum to experiment with ideas and features of Animation:Master. Anyone is welcome to contribute as long as they understand that I may not use their ideas in any finished product.

There I just admitted it. There 'might' be a finished product some day! :)

If enough elements of the story are put together... there will be part/or parts of the movie on display...

Any final format is yet to be determined. Gif movies will be the prevalent means of storytelling in this area, but standard movie files and flash/swf will be experimented with as well.

I want to experiment with delivery of the story as well.

I will admit that I should be documenting my experiments better.

I'll try to do just that!

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • Admin

Just a note to let people know the creative side of my brain hasn't completely shut off. I may try to get this thing going again one of these days...

This guy really wants to be modeled in 3D. He's been patiently waiting about 10 years. Since his design is pretty basic I might just have to do it.

Robo2.jpg