Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

recessed lights

I'm building my living room (well my house really) in AM. I want to see what it would be like to install recessed lights in my living room. The ceiling is just a grid.

I can build the cans, but they have depth. I want to place them in the ceiling and have the depth, but the grid cuts through the light. Do I have to make an open grid for each place I want to put a light?

**I started to make an example, but AM kept crashing. I'm on a mac... is vs 16 out of bata yet?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
I'm building my living room (well my house really) in AM. I want to see what it would be like to install recessed lights in my living room. The ceiling is just a grid.

I can build the cans, but they have depth. I want to place them in the ceiling and have the depth, but the grid cuts through the light. Do I have to make an open grid for each place I want to put a light?

**I started to make an example, but AM kept crashing. I'm on a mac... is vs 16 out of bata yet?

Cutting holes will be most straight forward. Typically modelers will create the holes first and then spline in the surface between them.

Alternatively , if the ceiling is a separate model from the rest of the room you could set it to Cast Shadows OFF and lights will behave as if it isn't there.

Ok,

I added a bone to the recess light, and turned on boolean on. I also made a cylinder and did the same thing. This is the result, nothing. The ceiling is just a thick grid. It also has a bone, but the boolean is not turned on.

Any ideas? I was looking for a quick solution so I could try recess lights in different rooms and not have to build a special ceiling.

(I know the lights in the room are a little bright, but one thing at a time.

Screen_shot_2010_10_09_at_3.12.19_PM.png

room0.jpg

• Hash Fellow

one has to be the child of the other. I don't remember which, but the TechRef will tell you.

Also, the ceiling will probably need to be an enclosed shape. i don't think a flat plane will do. The tech ref will mention that too.

The big thing for sake of ease is before you extrude the depth, have all the holes modeled first, that will save a bunch of trouble. Also, I'd make a new "grid" section for each place you'd put a hole, just so that the mesh isn't being stretched to much cause it does rely heavily on the 5 point patch

Rather than booleans, make a cookie cutter or transparency hole, this will allow you to move them around.

I did a cheese factory that had the roof cut away, I first applied them and positioned them as "color" then when I was happy with the positioning I changed the channel properties.

Simple way and renders very fast and no chance of long splines causing artifacts.