Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

VW Beetle 1200 (1967)

agep

Hi guys

Here is a work related model of a VW Beetle 1200 that I have made. The "final" render was just a quick setup which I might improved when I find some time. A few details, like the windshield wiper is still missing. Anyway, let me know what you think :)

Best regards

vw_beetle_hdr_000.jpg vw_beetle_hdr_001.jpg

vw_beetle_000.jpg vw_beetle_wireframe_multiply_000.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
Anyway, let me know what you think

What I think?

I think the top two images are photos.

Not sure how you did the gray images/lines over the photos in the bottom two images though...

Incredible work as always Stian.

Impressive.

I had to look really hard for anything to mention...and it's trivial (it might just be the way it actually is on the car). The back side of the front tire looks like the rim isn't complete...at least that's what I think is going on with it (front view final render image...right side of image, left side of car), it might be accurate considering I don't know what it actually should look like.

Incredible work, Stian!

HERBIE! #53!

I was just wondering the other day what you have been up to. A great choice for a model... think it's been done by another Hasher- but never as clean as yours. DO ME A FAVOR... when you do your final render... turn the front wheels a little bit- love that.

You are the best!

Another amazing job, Stian!

My first car was a dilapidated '73 Super Beetle. Floorboards were rusting and had big holes in them and the rearview mirror would snap off if you tried to adjust it. No air and only an AM radio. Man, I loved that deathtrap. :-)

Thank you for the nice comments friends

You mentioned it was work related... it would be fun to see what this is going into.

Sorry, but I cannot elaborate that, only that it is just an illustration for a presentation

• Admin

David Simmons said:

The back side of the front tire looks like the rim isn't complete

Good eye David!

We'll have to classify that as the 'A few details, like the windshield wiper is still missing.' Stian mentioned. ;)

Remember Greg Schumski's VW Microbus model? I wonder if it would hold-up to yours... you could do a side-by-side...

Actually, I built that as a favor to Greg. And I'd like to think it can hold it's own against Stian's finely crafted model. In my opinion, the weakest link in the attached render (from April 2000) is the lighting. I may have to try a new one with AO.

VW_bus.jpg

• Hash Fellow
Remember Greg Schumski's VW Microbus model? I wonder if it would hold-up to yours... you could do a side-by-side...

Actually, I built that as a favor to Greg. And I'd like to think it can hold it's own against Stian's finely crafted model. In my opinion, the weakest link in the attached render (from April 2000) is the lighting. I may have to try a new one with AO.

Another A:M classic!

I wonder if there's a VW Thing around.

And I'd like to think it can hold it's own against Stian's finely crafted model
Absolutely, are are you are one of the best, and probably the best mechanical modeler using A:M. I have always been inspired by your work

Marcos Rezende (Xtaz) asked me if I could do an side by side rendering with mine and his VW Beetle model, just for fun:

Mine is to the left, his to the right

vw_beetle_hdr_xtaz_000.jpg vw_beetle_hdr_xtaz_001.jpg

Thanks Stian ... nice render ...

the material that you used matched perfectly with the model .... very nice...

My' model is notably an older version than the Stian. We can verify this by the headlights and bumper

here is one of '60 references that I used

1661301.jpg

More details can be found in the original post

Can you do a render with the VW bus too?

Fair warning. This was a model made before AO which is unforgiving of certain uses of hooks and neighbouring normals not all pointing in the same direction; sins which run rampant through the bus. I did a render of the bus with AO and it's pretty smudgey. I'm currently running through the bus's 10k+ patches trying to bring it up to date.

Shouldn't the hubcaps have a VW embossed into them?

No, because they keep getting stolen or fall off. We've given up replacing them on our 2001 bug, at $65 a pop.

NICE image

(I will never, ever get another VW bug again. What a stupid car. The dumbest things go wrong, and cost an inordinate amount to fix)

They look great. Off to Woodstock!

Woodstock .... yeah .... I took my axe and put my model on the road

woodstock_beetle_spec0.jpg

Stian .... could I use your post? well ... I've used;)

(I will never, ever get another VW bug again. What a stupid car. The dumbest things go wrong, and cost an inordinate amount to fix)

It was the only car left that held a 30ths car design for that long.

I started out with a beetle like that, that belonged to my mother, which I did damage severly more then once

due to his behavior as a "Heckschleuder" breaking out with its backend,

but the tin used to be thicker then.

Then I bought a 1971 VW Käfer 1302 convertible with broad Lemmertz wheels and Zenith twincarburettors.

My best friend had one as well.

It almost gave us the feeling of that yellow Ford Hot Rod from "American Graffiti", which we tried

to mimic so dearly then.

Well, the golden days of youth have past, but I do still drive VW, an old 1990 Golf I convertible, which is

really longlasting compared to its ancestors but has not the same "charms" as a beetle

and a quite new Golf for family use.

Comparing the decades it always amazes me, with how "few" car you could get by then.

(Maybe it will shrink back again, when the fuel gets less.)

Coming back to the topic: Really, really nice models.

How about building an "Erdbeerkörbchen" once. ( Golf I Convertible )

Wow! Wonderful! What technique did you use to texture it?

Thanks Stian ....

In the action ( of course ) I separated the bodywork side and then the roof and hood, then applied a single decal on them separately.

I also had to increase the value/scale of the roughness (bodywork) .

In the camera I used a default film grain ( Post Effect ).

After rendered I applied some filters in Photo Paint to "warm" the color in the image then I worked in the shadows to balance lighting.

only that :) simple and efficient...

EDITED : I forgot to mention that I used a sun light ( DIFUSE = OFF / SPECULARITY = ON ) and increased specularity ( S=1000 / I=600 ) in the bodywork to match the bus specularity

Hey Stian, love those VWs

Could you give some indication of how you lit and rendered the images. Obviously you used AO. Was there any other lighting setup?

Also, would you please indicate what version of A:M you use and whether it is 64 bit. (I assume you are using v16, 64 bit).

Hey Stian, love those VWs

Could you give some indication of how you lit and rendered the images. Obviously you used AO. Was there any other lighting setup?

Also, would you please indicate what version of A:M you use and whether it is 64 bit. (I assume you are using v16, 64 bit).

Thanks

The light blue Beetle was made by me, the dark blue/Woodstock by Marcos Rezende (Xtaz) and the bus was made by Rodger Reynolds (rodger_r). The light setup is regular AO with an HDRI environment, no other lights. I am using both v15 and v16 (64bit), have not transferred my big project over to v16 yet. But I do all my rendering in v16 due to the increased render speed

• Hash Fellow
Makes you wonder, how it was possible to sell it to so many people.

It was the most inexpensive car you could buy here. About $1700 in the 60's. I think i recall a promotion once that put it at $999. Even a very, very cheap Detroit car was $1900+, most were in the $2500-4000 range.

And the whole hippie/Love Bug thing made it attractive.

Makes you wonder, how it was possible to sell it to so many people.

Have they all just been stupid

I bought the 2001 Beetle based on it's looks and that it was fortified with Turbonium! I thought the horn would go boop-boop, as any self respecting cartoon car should.

It was not cheap. Stupid stuff breaks on it. Constantly. Even the idiot lights telling you "Get thee to a repair place QUICK and they will tell you whats wrong because the manual doesn't" break. It does get good gas mileage (33 mpg highway)

YES! We were stupid to buy.

I also own a 1994 Subaru Legacy. That has, and still works like a charm (only 30 mpg highway), and requires only normal maintenance. The only thing broken is the air conditioner. But it's ugly, boring.

We expect our cars to work and last forever here in California, land of perfect weather.

(We did take the beetle camping for 3 weeks, and remarkably, we could fit all our gear in trunk and back seat)

TentIMG_0625.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano