Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

USS Midnight

Darkwing

Over the past week I've been working on a model for a friend to go in his Star Trek fan series, Red Squad. Anyways, I'm at the texturing stage now and figured I'd post what I have.

post-9859-1285723250_thumb.png

post-9859-1285723284_thumb.png

I've beveled everything and for the most part, it's actually all one piece, at least the main hull, saucer and nacelles are.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks and yes I have improved over the last like 4 years, so at least something's come of it :P Still some rough spots but you'll probably only find them if you're really looking. Anyways, here's a new pic, playing around with ambient decals and lights

post-9859-1285782124_thumb.png

I love this model.

I've just started work on a version based on the original Constitution Class Enterprise, but, unfortunately, my time is limited, so it may be a while before I get enough done for posting WIP images.

be more specific, glow or ambience? Cause I've brought the glow down quite a ways but have actually increased the ambience. I like brighter nacelles, but I know they're not that bright in normal Star Trek. Course I do have the power of it being fan made on my side ;) But yeah, nacelles need more work anyways, they're not quite done, but unfortunately the batteries in my mouse died and I haven't any replacements yet, so I gotta get more batteries to work on this (and other things) cause a track pad just doesn't cut it :)

While I'm not a big enough Star Trek nut to know exactly what class of ship that is, it seems pretty glowy when compared to, say, the Enterprise-E:

USS_Enterprise-E_in_nebula.jpg

Looks like there's also some detail breaking up monotony of one having big glowy engine:

USS_Enterprise-E_enters_temporal_vortex.jpg

USS_Enterprise-E_at_warp.jpg

Really very, very nice. And I don't usually like space ships!

I have to ask. Why so many splines on the .... ummm... long blue thingies? Everything else looks so economical, spline wise.

EDIT: I just looked at your reference photos, so now I understand about the splines. I suspect you might have been able to get similar effect with a cylindrically mapped decal with large # of repeats. Looks good!

Edited by NancyGormezano

Oh and the mesh could probably be even less dense than it is now. The original mesh had a lot of splines, but at the time it was going to be exported for Max and I've learned a denser mesh has a more accurate export, however, texturing proved to be a problem in Max and so it was decided to keep the model in AM and so I removed a bunch of splines, but there's still more that probably could be removed

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I need help with a problem. I'm making shields for the ship and I want the shields to retain the shape of the ship. Naturally, the shields have to be slightly larger than the ship, or thicker rather. Scaling isn't really an option because the scale uses a pivot point and so everything goes out in the same direction as opposed to it's individual direction. Doing it manually I tried and got angry with. I thought of another solution that woulda worked in a poly program and that was extruding the entire model. I forgot that the extrusion doesn't make things larger, just makes it pop out in a certain direction. Anybody got any ideas on making a model thicker?

:D

It's pretty cool too, all these combat effects can be done in AM and they look very sharp if you ask me. My biggest complaint is that I'm doing everything on a laptop and that previous pic took 2 hours to render, so rendering when it comes to animation time is gonna be a killer!

Yeah, this ship was actually built for someone else, it wasn't a just for kicks model. It's gonna be for a friend's fan star trek series (He already has 2 episodes released) and this ship shows up in episode 4 or something like that. So yeah, this sucker's gonna be animated, in fact, I'll be starting test renders soon, but if all goes well, he'll purchase AM and do the animating, cause dammit, I'm a modeler, not an animator Jim ;) But I'll be doing the compositing cause all of the other models and things are done in 3DS Max and seeing as the conversion in either direction doesn't go well, we'll be animating Midnight in AM and everything else in Max and compositing it all together :) Lots of work ahead! But I can't let it take away from my serial that I'm doing

That is so cool. I love the detail of the textures on the ships. Good use of bump maps (not displacement, right?)

Are my eyes deceiving me or do the luminance maps cast light. I mean on the image below, the windows actually seem to be casting light (circled in red).

post-1250-1289113234_thumb.jpg

I wasn't aware that you could set image maps to cast light onto other surfaces. Is that a radiosity thing?

Man, that's nice.

Just a few suggestions.

- I think that the glow around the laser main laser being shot at the midnight can be a little thinner.

- Maybe tone down the glow on the warp engines as well. Or maybe just put them on the top. By the way, this is the kind of thing you might want to consider doing in compositing where you would have better control. If it's in the render you cant change them. Right now those glows seem a bit too pronounced for my taste.

- On the other hand I think that the green lights on the space ship in the center could use some glow since they are too crisp.

By the way is that image straight out of the renderer or did you do some post processing?

Keep up the good work.

Great job!

I've started a re-watch of ST:TNG. I'm just now starting the 2nd season. Many of these I haven't seen since they were originally broadcast. Anyway, they were discussing some of the visual effects in the extras for the first season and mentioned that the shield effect was done optically by turning the camera sideways and dropping salt onto a black sphere on a black background. :-)

That is so cool. I love the detail of the textures on the ships. Good use of bump maps (not displacement, right?)

Are my eyes deceiving me or do the luminance maps cast light. I mean on the image below, the windows actually seem to be casting light (circled in red).

post-1250-1289113234_thumb.jpg

I wasn't aware that you could set image maps to cast light onto other surfaces. Is that a radiosity thing?

Man, that's nice.

Just a few suggestions.

- I think that the glow around the laser main laser being shot at the midnight can be a little thinner.

- Maybe tone down the glow on the warp engines as well. Or maybe just put them on the top. By the way, this is the kind of thing you might want to consider doing in compositing where you would have better control. If it's in the render you cant change them. Right now those glows seem a bit too pronounced for my taste.

- On the other hand I think that the green lights on the space ship in the center could use some glow since they are too crisp.

By the way is that image straight out of the renderer or did you do some post processing?

Keep up the good work.

What's going on is I have a light casting over the Registry and so it goes just a bit further lighting up that raise in the hull . There's no displacement, just bump. The image was assembled in Gimp (gag) using I believe four layers. This image is actually messed up cause what happened was the two romulan ships were rotos, but I didn't realize one didn't have an alpha on it (there went 2 hours of rendering out the window). So I re-rendered without the ships and I rendered Midnight with the weapon effects. Now they were rendered with an alpha, but lens flares and glows don't render in alpha (bye bye two more hours). So what I did then was rendered on a black background with no alpha, the lens flares and phaser glow, however, I forgot about the disruptor pulses because the glow for those were on a different layer that got covered over by some other layer. So yeah, this was a trial and error test that has taught some valuable lessons for the future.

Now as for glow sizes, I've been sticking to about a size of 6 or 7 and an intensity of 125% which I like. However, the AM glow isn't controllable for isolated objects, so the thin phaser beam gets the same thickness of a glow as everything else. As for doing it in Post, I have no idea how to do that. The phasers might be easier cause I could render them as a separate layer and give a gaussian blur or something in FCE, simulating their glows. But as for doing independent glows on the bridge and warp nacelles, no idea

That's cool, thanks for giving insight into your process. Good work. Compositing is something that you should definately learn since it's better to do effects there as much as possible. There is a glow effect in After Effects that does a pretty good job of making lights glow and other things like lasers.

Still, are the bright windows casting a bit of light on the raise in the hull, or did you paint that illumination in gimp? I'm taking about how the light cast on the raise in the hull seems to get brighter near the windows (circled in red in the above image). I mean, I assume you applied the lit up windows with an image map. I saw a demo recently for a 3D program where they were able to use a texture map to actually cast light in the scene. I don't think you can do this in A:M, but I might be mistaken. Maybe you know of a way?

Nope, it's just the registry light (which is a Klieg) that is hitting it. It's just the angle of the light I would assume that's giving that illusion. And I do not have After Effects. I'm limited to the capabilities of AM's post and FCE's post

On further review, I know why those spots are brighter and it's a bit of a coincidence thing. See the hull texture also has a specular intensity map applied. So certain hull plates are brighter than others and that looks like what's going on there, is the specular is more on those plates and so when the registry light hits it, it appears brighter than the others