Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Plymptoon WIP

Gerry

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, there are no restrictions on technique or software, as long as it bears a clear resemblance to the original. So the animation will be A:M, but the decals will be painted, probably in Corel Painter to approximate the appearance of the original but in 3D.

On the entry pdf they included a couple of examples of other techniques, and two of them were CG. One was quite abstract.

Here's the look I'm going for. The set is textured but not the grasshopper. I've also given the painted surfaces a slight displacement but it shows better on the back wall than the floor or left side. Edit: also added one of the screen shots I'm working from.

stilltest00.jpg

Shot1.jpg

No, my WIP isn't being posted on AtomFilms, Paul. You can see the original animation there, but the work on the animation jam won't be available until it's all done.

This "painterly" approach to decaling is something I've been wanting to experiment with for some time. This is the first time I've actually implemented it, and Bill Plympton's drawing style accommodates it pretty well!

Thanks, I think when the grasshopper is "painted" it will fit better. I'm also thinking of rendering it with a dark/medium grey toon line, or even an edge gradient. It's funny, I'm trying to find a balance between "matching" the original, and doing something different!

But I have a feeling I'll be running the A:M render through AfterEffects to achieve some of the look as well.

Hey, I'm seeing something weird in my renders. I'm using the newest version on a Mac. I've got the render settings to DV format, so it says 720x480 with a pixel aspect ratio of 0.9. But the renders come out 640x480. I need my renders to be 720x480 or Mr. Plympton will be very very angry! Am I missing something? Perhaps I should set the PAR to 1 rather than use the default DV settings?

Hey, I'm seeing something weird in my renders. I'm using the newest version on a Mac. I've got the render settings to DV format, so it says 720x480 with a pixel aspect ratio of 0.9. But the renders come out 640x480. I need my renders to be 720x480 or Mr. Plympton will be very very angry! Am I missing something? Perhaps I should set the PAR to 1 rather than use the default DV settings?

How does it look in 15j+? (I assume by newest you meant 16 BETA 3)

love how it's looking!

Thanks, Nancy! It does the same thing in 15. The specs for the animation are 720x480. They don't specify DV. But it does looked stretched when I change the PAR to 1. I guess I can't focus on making it a "tracing" of the original. I can live with the stretching. But maybe I'll contact the guy who's directing and ask him.

• 3 weeks later...

Neat idea & fun project.. I'm jealous. Seems like plenty room for lots of imagination.

Not knowing what this sequence is about (I wasn't able to view on Atom films) - I am wondering if your task is to recreate his original scene in a different media? or is the goal to interpret the scene with other gags?, actions?

To me the audio track sounds as if it would give you lots of license to go crazy all out with this bit? More mayhem perhaps?

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, there's an animatic up on YouTube, mostly still shots but a couple of finished shots (including mine). This should be very *in-ta-res-ting* when it's done...

Oops, sorry nance, I just saw your post! Look at the animatic, and I think your questions will be answered.

• 3 months later...