Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Making a snail

Roger

• *A:M User*

I'm entering a little contest, so I decided to create a *really* simple char and do a 30 second animation. I decided I would do a snail.

So, I'm going to post him as he is progressing. Let me know what you think. Here is the first screenshot:

snail.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

I found your tute by doing a search for shell - I've been playing w/ the duplicator for a good 20 minutes now - I get something that looks vaguely shell like but the problem is its open on both sides - imagine if the snail had a duplex? That's the only way I can describe it.

I am also working on the antenna/eye stalks - not sure if its better to extrude a circle to make them or just lathe them from a spline. I guess it could go either way.

Here's the antenna - still trying to decide if its better to put the eyes up there, or have separate eyes down by where the mouth will be (not anatomically correct, this is meant to be a cartoon snail)

snail2.jpg

Hey, how about some antennae on that snail?

Here's an example of using the dup wiz for a shell. Vary the "scale" values for different shapes.

DupShell.PNG

Is there reason for doing 2 shells? I just need the one - will the plugin not work without the 2nd circle? Do I need to place it in a precise spot on the X-Y grid, or just so it crosses the Y axis by a little bit?

This is what I came up with - I believe the size of my circle and the placement on the grid are the only things that are different. I used the same settings that you had input in the dialgo box.

messed_up_shell.jpg

OK, answered my own question - looks like you do need both circles, or it doesn't work right. I just sorta guessed at the grid placement, and got something that came pretty close this time. Going to slap it on the snail.

And here it is:

snail_w_shell.jpg

So, I'm working on the snail again and now I have 2 rotate manipulators on him instead of just one - I'm wondering how to go about making him a single object so that I don't have to deal w/ this. It makes it a bit difficult to spin him around when modelling. I wonder if its a result of making the shell as a separate model and then importing that.

snail_wireframe.jpg

OK - I guess looking at it again its a single rotate manipulator, with one ring for each axis. But it seems like its off somehow - is there anyway to "snap" it back to the proper position? When I try to move the manipulators to line up w/ the x y and z axis, as soon as I let go it is off again.

I believe I have figured out why the rotate manipulator was acting oddly, I was in birdseye mode a the time and not front, top, right, etc.

I'm going to work on putting eyes into the eye stalk, I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions on how to get the body to look as if its coming out of the shell naturally?

• Hash Fellow
I believe I have figured out why the rotate manipulator was acting oddly, I was in birdseye mode a the time and not front, top, right, etc.
Doh! :o

I'm going to work on putting eyes into the eye stalk, I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions on how to get the body to look as if its coming out of the shell naturally?

adjust the shape to fit.

you may want to look at a real snail pic to see how the shell sits on its back.

I'd lock off the shell mesh, go to shaded wireframe mode and then push pull points on the body to fit. the 6 key constrains a CP to its "normal" so you can easily move it in or out of the mesh .

Doh! :o

adjust the shape to fit.

you may want to look at a real snail pic to see how the shell sits on its back.

I'd lock off the shell mesh, go to shaded wireframe mode and then push pull points on the body to fit. the 6 key constrains a CP to its "normal" so you can easily move it in or out of the mesh .

Yeah, after thinking some more about it I figured there probably wasn't going to be a quick and easy way, unless I wanted it to look horrible, so I'm pulling points as we speak :)

I'm working on materials right now, I'll post a screenshot in a sec. I am trying to make a shiny white material for the eye and a shiny black material for the pupil - almost like a highly polished billiard ball.

Have some problems, though. Anyone have any settings they recommend trying? For the white I think I am doing 255 255 255 for the ambient and difuse colors w/ 10 specular highlights - it doesn't look quite right.

• Hash Fellow
I'm working on materials right now, I'll post a screenshot in a sec. I am trying to make a shiny white material for the eye and a shiny black material for the pupil - almost like a highly polished billiard ball.

Have some problems, though. Anyone have any settings they recommend trying? For the white I think I am doing 255 255 255 for the ambient and difuse colors w/ 10 specular highlights - it doesn't look quite right.

For specular highlights to show the rest of the white of the eye will need to not appear full white. If the white of the eye has much ambiance turned on that will compete with the shiny specular highlight.

For specular highlights to show the rest of the white of the eye will need to not appear full white. If the white of the eye has much ambiance turned on that will compete with the shiny specular highlight.

That makes sense - go with more of an off-white then?

• Hash Fellow

That makes sense - go with more of an off-white then?

Possibly. There are some eye tutorials around you might look at for color advice.

So - working on rigging the snail now.

Any suggestions on rigging? I'm trying to keep him *super* simple. So far I am going with 4 spine bones. Was going to assign one another bone to the shell and make that a child of on of the spine bones so it follows the snail - although I probably should designate one of them the "pelvis", maybe?

Thought about doing 2 bones per eye stalk so they can move around. Hope to have rigging done in no more than an hour or 2. Its a very simple character so I don't think thats too ambitious (or maybe it is).