Hash, Inc. Forums

body squetch slider doesn´t work somehow

thefreshestever

a few days ago i rigged a character with the squetch rig, first time since 2 years or so... a whole lot has changed, it´s so easy to install now, great job guys! i love it!

but i must have something messed up, the "body squetch" slider doesn´t work. when i try to grab it, it just won´t move. also it´s kinda odd that when i move my character in a chor by moving single bones (not the model bone) and then drag the "whole body squetch" slider the character moves to the right or left when squetching because the pivot doesn´t follow the model. is that usual behavior? if so, how can i let my character walk and squetch it in a chor without shifting it to the sides or front and back???

The "body_SQUETCH" pose is not meant to be animated. When you unhide the squetch controls, the large "body_SQUETCH_control" null controls that pose. And use the "body_SQUETCH_pivot" pose to adjust where the body squetches from.

thanks mark... that helped a bit... but i still don´t get one thing: as i mentioned before, when i move my character a bit to the right with the hip-controller so that the body-bone isn´t exactly in place with the character anymore the character moves to the right when squashed and to the left when stretched. with the body-stretch-pivot slider i can only adjust the y-axis. how can i adjust the x- and z-axis? and what´s the difference between "whole body squetch" and "body squetch"? for me they both do the same. isn´t body squetch supposed to just squetch the torso?

Bildschirmfoto_2010_08_28_um_20.37.55.png

Bildschirmfoto_2010_08_28_um_20.38.11.png

Just think of a ball that is being squashed and stretched, the cps to the left or right (not centered on the bone that's scaling) will move left or right. The bones in the rig will do the same thing if not centered on the body_bone.

The whole body squetch is controlled by a pose slider, body squetch is controlled by a null. The whole body squetch is not affected by the body squetch pivot pose, it will always squetch from the base of the feet. Where the body squetch pose (controlled by the null) squetches from the pivot point set in the body squetch pivot pose.

isn´t body squetch supposed to just squetch the torso?

No.

Just think of a ball that is being squashed and stretched, the cps to the left or right (not centered on the bone that's scaling) will move left or right. The bones in the rig will do the same thing if not centered on the body_bone.

The whole body squetch is controlled by a pose slider, body squetch is controlled by a null. The whole body squetch is not affected by the body squetch pivot pose, it will always squetch from the base of the feet. Where the body squetch pose (controlled by the null) squetches from the pivot point set in the body squetch pivot pose.

isn´t body squetch supposed to just squetch the torso?

No.

aha... so there´s A) no chance to adjust the pivot in the x and z-axis and B ) no pose for just squetching the torso like in tsm2? hmmm, sounds like wish-list items to me ;)

By moving the model by the hip controller, you are changing the x, z pivot. Though, I don't know why you would want to that.

The torso has separate squetch controls in the torso folder. It's been integrated into the spine_FK__IK Switch pose.

aaaahhh.... thanks, david...this explains everything.... no i´m feeling stupid... again :lol:

@mark: i don´t move the pivot by only moving the hips as you can see on my screenshots! why i would wanna do that? when animating in a chor i usually move the hip controller to move a character, not the model bone, so the feet would stay in place at first. or is that the wrong way to accomplish that?

@mark: i don´t move the pivot by only moving the hips as you can see on my screenshots! why i would wanna do that? when animating in a chor i usually move the hip controller to move a character, not the model bone, so the feet would stay in place at first. or is that the wrong way to accomplish that?

The "body_SQUETCH" controls are, as Mark said, treating the whole character like a squetch ball...they require a little different handling. Turn off the "hide_body_SQUETCH_controls" Pose, use the "body_SQUETCH_base" bone to move the character where you want them (it would look the same as if you were moving the model bone), adjust the "body_SQUETCH_pivot" Pose (that controls the origin of the squetching along the height of the character) and then use the "body_SQUETCH_control" null to set the amount of squetch. If you move the "hips" null around, it will affect the body squetching in those Poses, but, you can use the spine to move the character instead (set the spine to "1" for an IK spine without auto squetching). The "hips" null is a little different than a rig like TSM2, for what you are doing the spine would be a better way of moving the entire character...the video showing how to animate the spine might help explain.

Hope that helps, Sebastian.

----------------------------

EDIT

----------------------------

Mark beat me to it and was more concise.