Hash, Inc. Forums

a quickie

dblhelix

• Hash Fellow
what is the collective name of the different views, the ones we choose with the numpad 1 2 3 etc? a single term for those, please?

How about TheDifferentViewsWeChooseWithTheNumberpad?

I don't know really, except that they are "views". :blink:

"top view"

"front view"

"side view" etc.

How about TheDifferentViewsWeChooseWithTheNumberpad?

I don't know really, except that they are "views". :blink:

(sorry i made your eyes hurt..) just need to get a grip on that department and a techref search with 'view' came back a bit daunting. i seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time "T"ing 90/180 degree-views; is there some, errr.. window? i can write numbers to?, that would always refer to the model's orientation and give me a sideview no matter how thom was rotated on the stage?

are his thighs a little wonky at the backside or have i mutilated him already?

are you adjusting in the chor for the whole action this would be easy to adjust in the action window where 4 and 6 gives side view..or maybe I am misunderstanding the question

yeah i'm in chor - - but that can't be it.. can it? do the views in action move with the model always giving a sideview of the model?

i prefer straight ahead, and can of course do that in action as well. but thom keeps moving :) so the views have to follow him. i'm on a laptop, touchpad, and there's the root of all evil. a minor change in pressure sends the view reeling in all directions. i already abandoned my wacom (this part of 3D process + working space makes it feel like an overkill anyways), and it's hard to believe the mouse would be easier. i'm instinctually drawn to the side&frontviews, and like to "n" / "r" the tool then nudge with arrows / rotate by writing numbers or dragging. with the "n" tool it takes too long for the help window to pop up and confirm i'm standing on the right spot.. arrows are faster but require geometric views.

what's confusing is, that it feels like the views keep changing without "t" operations.. twice i've been really baffled and it feels i'm giving commands by shortkeys ("return to default") by mistake or something.

It seems you are doing something strange ... but I don't know what it is. Animating on a laptop will be difficult, but it is possible. If animating on a fast desktop PC is like soaking in a hot tub on a starry night with a full moon and a foot of fresh powder snow on the ground - animating on a laptop is like being cold and wet on a windy ski slope with snow inside your clothes from all the times you face-planted.

It will help if you buy an external usb number(key) pad. I have heard that some external number pads emulate the number keys at the top of the keyboard (instead of the keys on the number pad). You don't want that. You want an external keypad that emulates the keys on the actual number pad.

Since you appear to be animating a walk in the chor, you are probably panning quite a bit. The easiest way to pan is to drag with the Mouse Wheel (or middle mouse button) depressed. The easiest way to rotate around your model in the chor is to select the model, or a bone, and [shift]-Drag with the Mouse Wheel depressed.

If you absolutely must have side views that follow your model and always give you a side view of the model no matter how it is rotated or positioned, there is a way.

Create a new camera in the PWS and change its TYPE to Orthogonal. Place this camera in the MODEL window. Then switch to Bones Mode in the Model window (you must be in Bones Mode in order to see the camera) and position the camera on one side of the model, with the camera aiming at the side of the model. Place another camera on the other side of the model. Rename the camera bones "Left View" and "Right View" or whatever. Then, in the Chor, you can cycle through the available cameras with the [1] key on the number pad.

• ____ 1

• Hash Fellow

I'll just note that in the Tools>Customize>Toolbars window you can turn on a panel of View buttons that can do anything the number pad keys do, but they're on screen so you don't have to reach for a number pad that may not exist on your lap top.

Additionally it is possible to construct a new panel of any buttons you want.

In this post I show a custom panel I made that imitates the layout of the number pad.

I made that when I was experimenting with using my Cintiq pen for A:M. I prefer a mouse for A:M but the custom panel thing is handy.

You can drag any button from the Tools>Customize>Commands window to a blank button area and it will start to make a new independent panel.

there is a numpad on this laptop, it was chosen with a:m in mind from the start! probably should have mentioned that.

It seems you are doing something strange ... but I don't know what it is.

learning 3D, that's what. :P but i can see why you would miss that.

the weirdness comes from a misconception: i could have sworn the views saved my last chosen angle between toggling to another view and then back.

it could simply have been due to thom's position - as he moved forward my mistake became more visible. (but i'm far from happy with this conclusion - i still think keys 7&8 save the view sometimes, when 4&6 go back to default.)

okay, Techie friend unearthed a smallish but still too big pc-mouse and i'm moving on. the programmable cameras are a definite test in the near future, but as usual, going to grab the first and swiftest improvement at hand and pressing on.

i'll test toggling the touchpad sensitivity as well, but i've four days off before another 6day week starts and just want to see some improvement in the rig moving. when is that, please? i'll try and not get into trouble when you guys are asleep.

In this post I show a custom panel I made that imitates the layout of the number pad.

i remember this, didn't really think of the repercussions 'cause i was happy with the wacom and hadn't really dug in into animating. now i know i need the wacom for modelling and probably a mouse for animating. and it's not only about hardware but about health.

Homeslice's picture-painting continued i could say that going 3D is like climbing a small sandmound only to discover that you're on the brink of a 40 mile drop and have already begun to slide. it's too big to think about, you just have to get started and keep going. it's not falling if you jump to it.

Thank you all for tips & advice

• Hash Fellow
the weirdness comes from a misconception: i could have sworn the views saved my last chosen angle between toggling to another view and then back.

it could simply have been due to thom's position - as he moved forward my mistake became more visible. (but i'm far from happy with this conclusion - i still think keys 7&8 save the view sometimes, when 4&6 go back to default.)

7 is the current birdseye view. Whatever you last left it with.

8 is back view

by default 0 2 4 5 6 8 shoudl be non-perspective views although they can be toggled with \

0 2 4 5 6 8 always retain their "angle" i.e. "front" always shows front but the position they view from is remembered.

For example if I'm looking thru the front view (2) and use M to scroll to the side about 50 cm (perhaps to re center on a walking character), the next time I hit 2 it will return me to that front view that is 50 cm to the side. It's still a front view that is facing straight back, but it is facing straight back from a point that is 50 cm to the side.

The amount of (Z)oom you have in these views is also recalled.

It you used (T)urn to spin away from a 0 2 4 5 6 or 8 view, then you are automatically in a birdseye view and the standard view you left remembers its last position before you birdseyed out of it.

I think these are even remembered with a PRJ save but I'm not sure.

I'm glad you have a number pad. That must be a big lap top!

Does your laptop support plugging a second monitor in the back for extra screen space?

by default 0 2 4 5 6 8 shoudl be non-perspective views although they can be toggled with \

concisely: no comprendre.

does non-perspective mean not bird's eye? toggle what and what - non-perspective to bird's eye? i tried but no?

Does your laptop support plugging a second monitor in the back for extra screen space?

it is big and 16:9, the screen size is also an issue and yes, after the double monitor-discussion i had a millionth consult with my Techie and and i'm cleared for a 2nd screen. don't remember the specs 'cause i'm still not ready to move on that either, my problems are so-hoooo basic. no point in investing if i'm not able to be happy doing this and you know i'll be grinding teeth for some time to come.

• Hash Fellow

concisely: no comprendre.

does non-perspective mean not bird's eye? toggle what and what - non-perspective to bird's eye? i tried but no?

the backslash key ( \ ) should be at the end of your QWERTY row of keys

Here are two birdseye views from about the same view point. This one is in perspective mode, notice the grid lines converge in the distance:

persp.PNG

This one is in non-perspective mode. The grid doesn't converge.

nonpersp.PNG

I often have to zoom back out after a \ toggle. it seems to reset to some arbitrary center point.

I find non-perspective mode confusing in birdseye views. I feel like i'm looking at things inside out sometimes.

But I prefer non-perspective for the regular box views (the 0 2 4 5 6 8 keys)

it is big and 16:9, the screen size is also an issue and yes, after the double monitor-discussion i had a millionth consult with my Techie and and i'm cleared for a 2nd screen. don't remember the specs 'cause i'm still not ready to move on that either, my problems are so-hoooo basic. no point in investing if i'm not able to be happy doing this and you know i'll be grinding teeth for some time to come.

I'm glad you're asking questions instead of going away mad. I think if we just clear up some simple mis-steps it will go ok.

This one is in perspective mode, notice the grid lines converge in the distance:

a-HA! i tried moving in a perspective view and drowned in moldy memories, Bryce i believe, of never being anywhere useful seeing what i needed to see. the total unintuitiveness of this mode! it's fantastic! move the mouse down the view goes up. move mouse left view goes right.

and am seasick now.

when is this useful?

• Hash Fellow
. the total unintuitiveness of this mode! it's fantastic! move the mouse down the view goes up. move mouse left view goes right.

and am seasick now.

when is this useful?

Something is very wrong if it's going in the opposite direction.

watch this...

clip0004.mov

. the total unintuitiveness of this mode!

Something is very wrong if it's going in the opposite direction.

in perspective mode, only in perspective? but oh, yes, going in opposite directions in perspective mode! it's wild, weird and ludicrous. and not unique, i remember that though not sure of the program in question.

in the ordinary (?) non-perspective mode everything is exactly like in your film.

forgive my manners - when i'm in the zone i've this tunnel vision not conductive of social interaction. bit of a machine :(

the mystery of saved/ not saved views is gone, the 7-view is what confused me because it is the only one that saves even the t-key views.

only, when animating i wasn't alert to the patterns. (i was going to say that otherwise it would have been easy to spot but that's not true. when everything is new it's difficult to separate relevant things from irrelevant no matter how simple they are!)

i now fully grasp the saving of the m-key moves and not saving of the t-key moves thanks to you. i just rushed on with new questions and neglected to say so. i'm not afraid to look stupid, or ask the same question 50 times till i understand it, this is too important for me, have to learn this, make it mine in one way or other.

thank you for the film. now.. how about my new post :D

• Hash Fellow
in perspective mode, only in perspective? but oh, yes, going in opposite directions in perspective mode! it's wild, weird and ludicrous. and not unique, i remember that though not sure of the program in question.

I'm still not sure what you are describing. Can you make a screen capture movie of it going in opposite direction s?

Can you make a screen capture movie of it going in opposite direction s?

:wacko:

aah, yyyeaah, eh - is next month too soon? yes? october? good!

i know where the tutorial for that is. i've zero inclination to begin learning that, even if saying so has the aroma of "famous last words" all over it.. choosing to direct energy to fun problems or real problems or irritating though not debilitating distractions (the null in next post)

i'm on a very confined energy-budget right now. would it be okay to Sherlock this Holmes at a later date? since the non-perspective view is working?

It seems you are doing something strange ... but I don't know what it is. Animating on a laptop will be difficult, but it is possible. If animating on a fast desktop PC is like soaking in a hot tub on a starry night with a full moon and a foot of fresh powder snow on the ground - animating on a laptop is like being cold and wet on a windy ski slope with snow inside your clothes from all the times you face-planted.

I use a laptop exclusively, and have nary a problem using am. I do use a cordless mouse with a track wheel. Couldn't be simpler for me. The wheel controls zoom, short cut keys for move and rotate, view buttons on the toolbar for views. No tablet, no keypads...

No as far the hot tub on a starry night...well nothing can compare to that! (I enjoy that every night, no better way to end the day)

i'll make the capture later, but doubtless that will end in embarrasement; the behaviour of the view was nothing new, with absolute certainty i've worked on a bug-free program that did the same thing. vague memories would hint at it possibly depending on something robcat already talked about; where you do the moving, where the mouse pointer is in relation to the ground plane. if there's a bug, this is most likely not it, it's probably the bug that lives in the mirror.

robcat!

how 'bout a film for a film?

got a group of n00bs here wishing to convey a sentiment for all you helpful people here

(EDIT: removed a large film, smaller in post to follow)

was that too big? it's 2 seconds right out of a:m default rendering; QT, VGA, 640x480.

• Hash Fellow
robcat!

how 'bout a film for a film?

got a group of n00bs here wishing to convey a sentiment for all you helpful people here

Thank you!

was that too big? it's 2 seconds right out of a:m default rendering; QT, VGA, 640x480.

You can get a substantially smaller file size with:

Render to File Settings>Output>format>Quicktime

then expand the format triangle>save options>set

and choose a codec that compresses more

MPEG4 or Sorenson 3 are safe choices

Render to File Settings>Output>format>Quicktime

then expand the format triangle>save options>set

and choose a codec that compresses more

MPEG4 or Sorenson 3 are safe choices

a bit funny: reading "set" when looking at that content table it unconsciously translated into "this is all set, don't touch".

"choose" would have prompted me to click there. it's the little things.

chose my favourite H264

cheer.mov