Hash, Inc. Forums

Get your BUS STOP here

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow
I couldn't find an answer in this thread, why are we using jpgs rather than TGAs? TGAs introduce less noise in video compression (lossless) and have an alpha channel allowing for compositing.

JPGS because they're going to send them to me and it has to be feasible for them to upload and for me to down load.

JPGs because the visible difference is negligible.

JPGs because the final compression on Youtube or DVD will far surpass any damage that JPG will do.

JPGS because the plan is to render the scene without need for further compositing. (I'm going to composite everyone's background, character and shadow pass? Nope)

The set is static, if you render the characters separately and composite over a single background frame,

What are the chances of everyone getting that right? A character pass and a shadow pass.

Besides, the set has to be there for the AO to work on the characters. The objects in the set are what "occludes" the "ambient" light.

it will abate a lot of the render time issues.

The hedge and sky are front projected already. Render time for their imagery is minimal.

The ground plane has to be there to there to catch shadows (and cast occlusion) even if you were going to render the characters separately to composite on an image later. Total render time would not be significantly different.

For most users, total frustration time would be hugely larger, particularly since most will not be able to test out any compositing.

Am I missing something?

Those would be the items.

But glad to see you back Bruce! I expect to see a fabulous entry from you. (Without any pee, of course)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason my hedge roto has stopped rendering. It was fine yesterday, did a series of test renders set to one pass, shaded wireframe. but today, the roto is still there in the camera, I haven't touched or changed anything, the "eye" icon is unchecked, but the hedge has disappeared both from wireframe and final renders.

Should I re-import the set? Post a screen shot? Not sure what to do. I'm currently closing, shutting down and re-starting. If it changes back I'll let you know.

• Hash Fellow
For some reason my hedge roto has stopped rendering. It was fine yesterday, did a series of test renders set to one pass, shaded wireframe. but today, the roto is still there in the camera, I haven't touched or changed anything, the "eye" icon is unchecked, but the hedge has disappeared both from wireframe and final renders.

Should I re-import the set? Post a screen shot? Not sure what to do. I'm currently closing, shutting down and re-starting. If it changes back I'll let you know.

My first inclination is to go back to the last saved version of the PRJ that rendered right and start hunting for differences.

I couldn't find an answer in this thread, why are we using jpgs rather than TGAs? TGAs introduce less noise in video compression (lossless) and have an alpha channel allowing for compositing. The set is static, if you render the characters separately and composite over a single background frame, it will abate a lot of the render time issues. Am I missing something?

Robcat wants to edit this project... not composite everyone's she-bang. If an individual wants to render to targas, and then composite their own scene... render it out and send a jpeg sequence to Robcat... jpegs are FINE... I use them in a professional post-production environment every day, you can set the amount of compression and at 10 or 12 they are near lossless. I asked for Quicktimes for the Pass the Ball movie... nobody ever asked why.

Rob- should you need any help in post on this... I volunteer. I hope to enter a clip as well.

If the camera roto disappears in camera view, just click on an empty space in the chor and hit the spacebar to refresh the screen. That works for me, it's just a memory issue. We could lower the res of the roto, but not as low as the final render.

Rendering at 854x480 should not be a problem with the rotoscope and front projection, but personally, I don't see the point.

• Hash Fellow

Render settings update

8) Rendering

In your Options Panel set rendering to "use camera Settings". That will load the settings stored with the camera when you go to render.

The camera is set to render to a JPG series. An image series was chosen instead of Quicktime so you wouldn't have to render your animation frames all in one stretch.

Resolution:

The camera is set to render at 720x405.

If you prefer you may up the resolution to 854x480 when you go to render. This is 40% more pixels and will take 40% more time to render.

I'll edit the video at the larger size and upscale smaller renders to fit. Either size is acceptable and both look fine for most purposes.

• Hash Fellow
I made some good progress in the last couple of days but now we're getting busy at work. So I may or may not have an entry.

You got at least until Oct 6.

is there a time limit?

I am asking on length of clip.

I have a 10 sec. one and the same clip extended to 16 sec.

Which ever you think is the best of the two.

No specific time limit. I was guessing most entries would be around 10 secs.

wow, jpg sequence is gonna fill up a folder!

just zip it and send when finished?

Hold off on sending it. We may need to use some intermediary service like "drop box". And I need to get my new PC going.

• Hash Fellow

And that's not even a top-of-the-line CPU anymore , that's a Q6600.

I'll race ya! B)

I see this ending in tragedy!

We'll do it in front of a phony bluescreen background so it just looks fast!

0:57 on my new PC with the v16 beta! That's smoking!

smoking.JPG

v15 comes in at 1:39 which is still dramatically better than the ~6 minutes it got on my old PC.

He he so I still have the pole! :P

I made some good progress in the last couple of days but now we're getting busy at work. So I may or may not have an entry.

The long and the short of it is that I really shouldn't try to participate in any A:M Forum projects that have deadlines, as all my A:M'ing is done on company time. That's why my entry for the Comicon reel never got finished and why I may not get to finish my Bus Stop entry. And in just a couple of weeks I need to start on the company Christmas animation! So if time allows I *might* have a bus stop entry but it doesn't look like it at the moment.

intermission information:

beginning to feel confident with thom, i think we have something. feels like the oct 6 sounds plausible for my abilities and pride :).

the next generation of problems looks a little different:

first, it's quite possible that i'm in the process of making a minute-and-a-half long short film on the subject. yup.

currently testing how fast i can show something that should feel slow; if the magical 1'40" would translate into kooky 40".

no need to respond just yet, this is just putting it out there.

but mtpeak2 might want to consider this and the consequences, just in case, and let me know.

second. while i naturally and completely understand the rule about the lighting, my project would look very different if there were some way to get an approval for a second lighting.

yes. i realize it is the sun.

it's about going from the set lights through fade to another set, then a quick fade back to normal. it's not absolutely necessary, but as you can imagine given that it is the sun, the impact would be big enough to make an exception meaningfull - IF i'm able to make/fake a lighting that would be acceptable.

any thoughts?

• Hash Fellow
currently testing how fast i can show something that should feel slow; if the magical 1'40" would translate into kooky 40".

even 40 seconds would almost certainly be too long for a project like this. Quick vignettes is more the order of the day.

even 40 seconds would almost certainly be too long for a project like this. Quick vignettes is more the order of the day.

well that's that, then, this brain only knows how to do stories.

how have the previous community projects been displayed, is there a chance to have a shortie on the side? as in "this time the assignment also inspired one short film, here." it seems so connected to the big project anyway. oh mtpeak2 was not the one who made the bus! that's trouble. hmm.

• Hash Fellow

well that's that, then, this brain only knows how to do stories.

how have the previous community projects been displayed, is there a chance to have a shortie on the side? as in "this time the assignment also inspired one short film, here." it seems so connected to the big project anyway. oh mtpeak2 was not the one who made the bus! that's trouble. hmm.

I've been thinking some more... if it's an entertaining 40" or 1'40"... why not? go for it. That's a lot to get done. Short ideas are more likely to get completed.

The lighting Q... I don't know... the technical problem is that almost everything has the lighting baked on it. The sky and hedges are going to look the same no matter what light.

Robert, I think he is referring to the 1min 40secs render times per frame.

I could get the render times down to 11secs per frame, but it doesn't look nearly as good as it is now. And even if that was exceptable, there are three projects to update (and make sure 3 versions of A:M render the same) and all the people, that have already started, would have to adjust their projects and get it exactly right.

So my suggestion would be is to cut your animation time down or start your own short story project. Not participating in this project shouldn't stop you from doing your own.

Oh, and why is it trouble that I didn't model the bus? What difference does that make?

I've been thinking some more... if it's an entertaining 40" or 1'40"... why not? go for it.

something amazing just happened.

reading this and starting to frase a reply i have just had the first ever simple film idea in my life.

this site is unbelievable, good things happen here.

it's a two second absurd gag, nothing to it. except i have to model. do materials. ay.

i'll try and do both ideas :)

That's a lot to get done.

only, almost nothing happens! it's a very, very slow thing, you'll see.

The lighting Q... I don't know... the technical problem is that almost everything has the lighting baked on it.

i see. i'll check if a:m post has a possibility to use custom shape color filters. i understand other programs on this project is a no-no.

So my suggestion would be is to cut your animation time down or start your own short story project. Not participating in this project shouldn't stop you from doing your own.

Oh, and why is it trouble that I didn't model the bus? What difference does that make?

i'm aiming high as usual, if it's a short i want the final to have music on it, and be able to apply for festivals and events and so on.

in which case i would need your set!

the bus is no longer a problem, sorted that out last night: it's presence can be done with sound only to great advantage for the story.

how did you change the title below your username?

i feel mine is mocking me! the master of what?

• Hash Fellow
That's a lot to get done.

only, almost nothing happens! it's a very, very slow thing, you'll see.

a very entertaining "almost nothing" hopefully. Shorter is usually better in these pursuits.

a very entertaining "almost nothing" hopefully. Shorter is usually better in these pursuits.

aiming for "engaging". and humorous.

context does matter, both ways, and if there's any doubt why don't we put it to a public vote whether a longer piece will fit in the context of all other contributions or should be presented on its own? seems only fair.

Just my $.02, but working strictly within the parameters of a given project is a valuable trait that is worth developing. dblhelix, I admire your boundless enthusiasm, but don't complicate things for the folks who have stepped up AND VOLUNTEERED to develop and organize this project for the whole forum!

Coming up with changes, variations, proposals, etc. and then putting it to a vote sounds like a lot of extra work when the aim here is to animate, and work as a team within the parameters given.

Coming up with changes, variations, proposals, etc. and then putting it to a vote sounds like a lot of extra work when the aim here is to animate, and work as a team within the parameters given.

of course you're right!

big pardons for complicating a straightforward assignment, mea culpa

i'll put all my smash into the brand spankin' two seconds idea and get lathing.

didn't really think a short film would qualify, but had to try for a side-line submission at least..

thanks Gerry :)

• Hash Fellow

The long and the short of it is that I really shouldn't try to participate in any A:M Forum projects that have deadlines, as all my A:M'ing is done on company time. That's why my entry for the Comicon reel never got finished and why I may not get to finish my Bus Stop entry. And in just a couple of weeks I need to start on the company Christmas animation! So if time allows I *might* have a bus stop entry but it doesn't look like it at the moment.

I could always put something in the deleted/unfinished scenes part of the DVD.

Not sure what you are implying but ...rock on.

Oh, my mind is just in the gutter ... where it usually is.

Is that what that black smear is on the curb? :lol:

I had been planning a sort-of elaborate gag that had two parts, starting with Schlitzy, then of course Mrs. Goodbody comes on the scene for part 2. But I may just do the first part, it would still work and in fact it's almost finished. that's why I left myself an out, I didn't just want to say no since I had something started.

Something is not right, it is not rendering using the camera settings. The resolution is also not correct, the image you previously posted rendered at 640x480, which is not correct, it should be 720x405.

How many cameras do you have under the objects folder in the PWS? Did you save your progress in a new project or override the existing project? Did you save the chor and import it into a new project? What version of A:M are you using?

Can you post a screen grab of the render options in the cameras properties under the objects folder?

Something is not right, it is not rendering using the camera settings. The resolution is also not correct, the image you previously posted rendered at 640x480, which is not correct, it should be 720x405.

How many cameras do you have under the objects folder in the PWS? Did you save your progress in a new project or override the existing project? Did you save the chor and import it into a new project? What version of A:M are you using?

Can you post a screen grab of the render options in the cameras properties under the objects folder?

Well, I have no idea what caused this. I just re-downloaded the project from the beginning of this thread...re-rendered and it works just ducky. Back on track on on to tweeking the story!

PaulVHarris_0492.jpg