Hash, Inc. Forums

pivot in choreography

The wizzard of

Hello,

I need to change the pivot point in a choreography fir a model. It is easy to change the pivot point in a model with the manipulator, in the choreography it moves the whole model. I tried using the manipulator properties I just do no t have a scale to know where I am in the window.

I want to spin my model to I need the pivot point in the center of the model while in the choreography.

By the way you guys that constantly help others are fantastic. I really do appreciate your help and hope one day to be good enough to pass on the favor.

• Hash Fellow

If you need to temporarily move a model about any arbitrary point, constrain it to a null you have added to the chor.

Add the null

move it to the part of the model you want to be the center

constrain the model to the null

turn the null

If you need to temporarily move a model about any arbitrary point, constrain it to a null you have added to the chor.

Add the null

move it to the part of the model you want to be the center

constrain the model to the null

turn the null

the null seems to do the same thing as the model and the bone. you add these in the modeling window. the problem I am having is in the choreography window. you can not set a pivot point where you want it so when you rotate the model it goes way out of frame. I want it to rotate and stay in place in the choreography window.

Maybe if I start from the beginning of what i am doing you can show me the error of my ways.

In the choreography window I Import my model using the right click import model function. when the model imports is is out side of the choreography window so I move it inside the window and place it in front of my camera. when I do this the pivot point stays out side the window so when I spin the model it is spinning around a point out side the window. I want to move the center point with the model in side the window. I used the manipulator properties and can see the pivot point. I can not change the properties because I have no way of knowing where in 3d space my model is to reset the pivot in the manipulator properties.

Thank you

• Hash Fellow
Maybe if I start from the beginning of what i am doing you can show me the error of my ways.

In the choreography window I Import my model using the right click import model function. when the model imports is is out side of the choreography window so I move it inside the window and place it in front of my camera. when I do this the pivot point stays out side the window so when I spin the model it is spinning around a point out side the window.

What key are you using to spin the model?

• Hash Fellow

r is the shortcut to bring up the rotate manipulator

the pivot of a model is the origin of the black bone, aka the model bone, that only appears in the model window if you are in bones mode and click on the back ground.

in the model window you can only rotate a bone with the rotate manipulator , you can not translate it. You can translate a bone in the model window if you turn off the rotate manipulator.

when you are in the chor window r also brings up the rotate manipulator. in the chor window you can translate a bone while the rotate manip is active only if you drag the origin point.

You can not change the location of the model bone within the model when you are in the chor window. you can move the model bone in the chor which of course moves the whole model.

If you need to make a model rotate about a point other than its model bone... see my first answer. It does work. I know because I have done it many times. If it is not working, you are doing something other than what i outlined.

You'll have to show a screen capture of something not working because what you are describing isn't detailed enough.

• Hash Fellow

NewNull_MP4.mov

The sound drops out at the end but it's mostly there.

At one point I mistakenly call the "offsets" button the "constraints" button.

EDIT: That button is really called "Compensate Mode"

Edit from the future of 2014: this video was made before A:M turned on the "Compensate Mode" button ON by default when New Constraint is begon.

Thank you, that was a great help. I wish the bone moved with the model that would save a lot of time. when I click on the bone the control points blink with the bone. when I move the model the bone does not move with it. that is why my pivot point was so far off.

I will use the null from now on Thank you

• Hash Fellow
when I click on the bone the control points blink with the bone.

You're in completely the wrong mode to do what you want to do. You have gone into bone editing mode. It is not for changing things while you animate. That is for setting up the character before you do any animation. This is a mode you almost never use from the chor. Use it in the model window only.

I am in the model mode. when I move the model in the chor window the bone does not move with it. I have to go back in to the model window and move the bone back into the model then when I go back into the chor window the model is moved all over the place. I am not in boons mode when in the chor window.

I think my program is defective, I need to find a way to go back to an older version of the program I never used to have this problem. when I added the null is has crashed 6 times and had to close. so my frustration level is very high right now. I have asked tech support 2 times if there has been any reported problems with the download version 15j and did not get a response. it downloads in parts and i may not have put it together right. I think I will just buy a new disk version the one I had before worked great.

I noticed in the video you sent you just clicked on the model in the chor window and it highlighted. my program does not do that. I have to go to the project workspace and use the transform window to type in the moves or the highlight it.

your help has been fantastic, Thank you

• Hash Fellow
I think my program is defective,

I think you have something set wrong.

I am in the model mode. when I move the model in the chor window the bone does not move with it.

The descriptions dont' make sense. You need to post a screen capture so we can see what you are doing.

it downloads in parts
I'm not sure what you mean by this. are you on a mac or PC?