Hash, Inc. Forums

Tricycle

I normally don't do this, but I think if I post how I go through the different processes of making a render, I think I can actually finish an entire scene for once. Last night I had a crazy vision of some lost and forgotten tricycle sitting outside of an abandoned grocery store. There were lots of earthen tones and bright white lights. I just drew up an image of what I saw, and I intend to make the whole scene in animation master!

Here's what I have so far:

post-7957-1280464472_thumb.jpg

I plan on coloring this image to get a better target for contrast in the image

I have this delusion of rendering out the whole scene in radisoity, but I need to try and suppress that in order to actually finish this scene. I'm going to go in steps. I think my main goal to start with the basic shape of the scene then add simple models to tweak in the scene until I get something that looks good.

For those of you who have done this kind of thing before, what should I start on first? I know I want to go in phases like modeling each individual wall separately to get the best detail I can. I'm going to be shooting for hyper realism on this one; I've got a lot of free time on my hands, so I should be able to get that quality.

Draw out your floor plan with splines in a top view and then extrude your walls. Add floors and ceilings and any other room details. You can add all of the objects to the room in the model itself or in an Action or Choreography. Add your lights, stir and render. :) You know how to set up a render far better than I do so I will be watching and learning. :)

Make a list (either mental or on paper) of all the models you intend to build. From your picture, it looks like room, planters, plants, tricycle, hanging light, empty fruit and vegetable displays.

Model each element, but don't texture them yet. You may want to add basic colors to groups in each model.

Assemble all the elements. Since this is a still image, it will be much easier to assemble it in a chor. (as opposed to an Action)

If you discover you need some extra models, create them now and place them in the scene.

Don't worry about the final lighting yet. Either use the default 3 point lighting or use a very basic lighting scheme, just so you can see what you are doing.

When the scene looks good with no textures and only a very simple lighting setup, it is a huge milestone, and you can be fairly confident that you will actually complete it.

Texture each element and check the composition. Make adjustments as necessary. Don't worry about the lighting yet.

When the textured scene looks good with only very basic lighting, it is another milestone.

Now add the lighting, check the composition, and make adjustment as necessary.

Thanks for the advice guys :D

I think I may be paying too much attention to small details, as I have just started in 3D and it has taken me about three hours to model two walls (I'm creating small imperfections all over it). Should I avoid doing these details until I finish modeling the basic scene or should I model fully detailed models from the beginning?

Matt, nice project... did you take red or blue pill ?

visions ... I love them ....

What software are you using to shade your image ?

let me steal some comments of your post ... they will be useful for me too:)

Should I avoid doing these details until I finish modeling the basic scene or should I model fully detailed models from the beginning?

That depends...

Since you are creating a specific scene, it will save you hours of time to knock out the basic models, assemble them in the composition, and get your camera angle fixed.

Then you will know where you should add extra detail, and where extra detail will just be a waste of time. It will also give you a good idea of where you have to model that extra detail, and where you can get away with simply adding maps.

Matt, nice project... did you take red or blue pill ?

visions ... I love them ....

What software are you using to shade your image ?

let me steal some comments of your post ... they will be useful for me too:)

I actually just free handed everything in photoshop. It took a while to get the perspective lines I wanted, but after that, everything fell into place. I already knew how the scene would be shaded because I remembered how it was shaded in my imagination.

Should I avoid doing these details until I finish modeling the basic scene or should I model fully detailed models from the beginning?

That depends...

Since you are creating a specific scene, it will save you hours of time to knock out the basic models, assemble them in the composition, and get your camera angle fixed.

Then you will know where you should add extra detail, and where extra detail will just be a waste of time. It will also give you a good idea of where you have to model that extra detail, and where you can get away with simply adding maps.

I think I will start to do this because this is all I have after working on the project for about six hours now:

post-7957-1280591971_thumb.jpg

I haven't got the perportions down right yet, so the window and door are just place markers right now.

I have a tip for those who want to work with very detailed models with lots of imperfections: build the model in "perfect" condition first, and then create the imperfections.

It is taking me forever to adjust the model and see what I'm doing because I had started messing with the walls before they were even connected; this created a lot of seam issues as well.

Basically, I'm making sure nothing is straight in the model. These are what the bases of the walls look like along the left wall:

post-7957-1280592258_thumb.jpg

Hopefully it's not too uneven as to make it look unbelievable. I'll have to wait and see once the floor comes in; I plan on modeling all of the individual blocks.

I have a tip for those who want to work with very detailed models with lots of imperfections: build the model in "perfect" condition first, and then create the imperfections.

It also works really well to create the imperfections in a Pose.

Alright, didn't get anything done today, but I want to complete this. I seem to have commitment issues with things like this :(

Does anyone have any good tips for modeling highly detailed rock bricks? I'm thinking of just doing basic rectangular forms (with bevels of course) and applying a displacement map to them. I'm not sure if that's the best approach though as I have had issues with displacement mapping in the past.

Does anyone have any good tips for modeling highly detailed rock bricks? I'm thinking of just doing basic rectangular forms (with bevels of course) and applying a displacement map to them. I'm not sure if that's the best approach though as I have had issues with displacement mapping in the past.

All this stuff you are doing to the walls and floor can be done after the scene has been assembled.

Get the building proportions right by using simple planes.

Model all the props you are going to need.

Assemble the scene.

Get your camera angle/position down.

NOW tweak the walls and floor.

I'm getting as simple as I can with the modeling as I can, though I have to say, being away from A:M so long has made it take a lot longer. I just now remembered how to put three different planes together seamlessly: using 5-point patches.

post-7957-1280870909_thumb.jpg

I think it's looking pretty simple so far. Hopefully when I go to modify it, it wont start to produce artifacts.

post-7957-1280872239_thumb.jpg

I've tweaked the edges a little more and made the seams and edges much smaller. I've also moved some of the geometry around to get the proportions a little closer. The wall between the door and the window are too small, so I'll have to increase that. I think I've got the sky light's shape down, though.

post-7957-1280879257_thumb.jpg