Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Trem do Pantanal 2020

Hi Friends.....

Today I start a project, I want to accomplish since last year. This is an animation project I want to conclude by June 2012, to be presented at the 12th edition of Animamundi.

The project is called "Trem do Pantanal 2020" and, of course, will happen in 2020.

In the state where I live, is the largest flooded area in the world, a sanctuary of natural life, which houses hundreds of birds, mammals and a myriad of insects, this place is called the Pantanal. Had in past years, a train coming out of Campo Grande (capital) and went through this huge area bound for Santa Cruz de la Sierra in Bolivia (1500 km), his name was "Trem do Pantanal". Many attempts to restore the rail line have already been made but, in fact, the "Trem do Pantanal" does not circulate beyond a few kilometers.

The plot

The year is 2020, a decade of progress and modernization provided in various industries. In a move of self-promotion, state governor inaugurated the most modern "Trem do Pantanal" of all time. The bullet train of Pantanal. The "shot" is a success, and the inaugural train arrives at its destination, where it is expected with the party, by the organizers.

The central character is a foreign tourist who participates in the first trip of the new "Train of Pantanal"

But some secrets are hiding behind this trip.

Fact: There is today (2010) a stream of businessmen, industrialists who are mobilizing politically for vote a law that guarantees the installation of ethanol plants in the Pantanal region. Everything indicates that they managed this gap.

...and is using this fact, which is the secret project.

THE PROJECT

For now, the project exists only inside my head.

I ask the help of masters / mistresses guiding me the best way to accomplish it.

Initially my step by step is:

script

storyboard

sketches (sets, props, characters)

modeling

texturing

rigging

animating

rendering

that's all .. only that is missing

All I conceive I'll post here on this topic.

A part that worries me is the rendering, but I know with time things will get clearer.

I count on the help of all. Alea Jacta Est

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story seems like an interesting one. Is this a real environmental issue in Pantanal?

There are a couple of questions I have:

How long does the animation need to be?

Will there be dialogue?

Are you going for any particular art style?

The story seems like an interesting one. There are a couple of questions I have:

How long does the animation need to be?

Will there be dialogue?

Are you going for any particular art style?

Thanks Matt

I guess 5 minutes ...

No dialogue ....

not particular art style yet ...

My gut tells me that you should break out some paper or a tablet and start brainstorming to get your ideas down in reality so you can start putting it together. As of right now, I am not really sure how the story will play out, so I would try and create a solid progression.

One more question (this one might not be easy to answer):

What type of story do you want to present?

Write a script, then scratch out a storyboard and and edit to a sound track and see how the thing holds up.

Thanks Robert... the sound track ... I forgot it ... more one item on my list :)

My gut tells me that you should break out some paper or a tablet and start brainstorming to get your ideas down in reality so you can start putting it together. As of right now, I am not really sure how the story will play out, so I would try and create a solid progression.

One more question (this one might not be easy to answer):

What type of story do you want to present?

The story is designed and conceived, it will be a warning against deforestation and its consequences for the Pantanal and its inhabitants.

As I say, the whole animation is on my head. I just need to externalize it :)

Right now, I'm writing the script.

I ask for your patience. because this project is in the background, as there is work, family, dog, cat to occupy me too:)

the important thing is that I have a deadline ... June 2012

later I'll make a timeline showing how I intend to organize activities ( any tip here ? )

Now that's what I thought you were doing ;)

That June 2012 date, is that the date you want the animation to be finished, or do you want to be ready to start rendering at that point? You'll have about 10,000 frames, so if they're 10 minutes to render each frame, you're looking at about two and a half months of rendering.

Now that's what I thought you were doing ;)

That June 2012 date, is that the date you want the animation to be finished, or do you want to be ready to start rendering at that point? You'll have about 10,000 frames, so if they're 10 minutes to render each frame, you're looking at about two and a half months of rendering.

it must be finished in June 2012 ... that's why I wrote in the first post that the render worries me.

Maybe I will work with 24 fps then I'll have 'only' 7200 frames ( 5 minutes ). The problem is .... I intend to use HDRI/IBL. AO in final shot which will increase the render time ( render a frame in 10 minutes in this condition is an optimistic claim ). If each frame taking 30 minutes to render, I'll take 5 months in this task

If there are volunteers to render some frames for me that would be great.

I made a list of tools that I will use in the project:

-Animation:Master - Modeling, Rigging, Animating, Render

-A:M Track 2 - Face rigging

-A:M Paint - Texture

-Celtx - free, write scripts, storyboard scenes and sequences, sketch setups, develop characters, breakdown & tag elements, schedule productions

-Cinefx - free, video editing, effects, and compositing suite.

-Blog Trem do Pantanal - showing, comments, sugestions ( under construction )

Did I forget something?

• 5 weeks later...

while trying to write the script ....I noticed that write isn't my strong suit ( is this expression correct ? )...I'm much more visual, then I invested in two more tools.

-Wacom Tablet Bamboo CTH-661

-ToonBoom Storyboard Pro

The project is becoming professional, since I received a motion to refer it to an examination of private banking, which considers the projects that receive government funds aid to culture.

The challenge is just beginning ... in a week I hope to present you the first scenes of the animatic. :)

• Hash Fellow

If there isn't a lot of talk, try a story board first.

The problem is .... I intend to use HDRI/IBL. AO in final shot which will increase the render time ( render a frame in 10 minutes in this condition is an optimistic claim )
A:M is getting faster, computers are getting faster, Jenpy's SSAO plugin may be ready soon and remember... Pixar did its first 6 movies with no raytracing, no AO, no SSS.

I noticed that write isn't my strong suit ( is this expression correct ? )

writing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This past week I studied how others tools works and next week I'll back to animatics .... today, when I playing with A:M, I resolved to model the arara ( bird in the sequence #1 ).

I intend to record ( Time lapse in full hd ) the whole construction of the models that I create for this project.

MODEL #1 - Arara whitout wings yet :)

Sketch

rotos.jpg

Model

arara0.jpg

Time Lapse

C&C are welcome ....

Thanks Mrs. Nancy... more are coming :)

Robert I really appreciate your comment ... I redid the decal and the result is much better... natural...

thank you for your comment...

arara_nopat0.jpg

Hi Marcos,

Good luck on this. I have always admired your work and I am looking forward to seeing you progress.

Jenpy's SSAO plugin may be ready

Hey Robert, what exactly is Jenpy's SSAO plugin? Does this have something to do with that thread on realtime AO? Or does the SS stand for Sub Surface (Ambient Occlusion) - If such a thing is possible.

Maybe there is a thread on it.

Hi Marcos,

Good luck on this. I have always admired your work and I am looking forward to seeing you progress.

Jenpy's SSAO plugin may be ready

Hey Robert, what exactly is Jenpy's SSAO plugin? Does this have something to do with that thread on realtime AO? Or does the SS stand for Sub Surface (Ambient Occlusion) - If such a thing is possible.

Maybe there is a thread on it.

SSAO stands for "ScreenSpaceAmbientOcclusion". It is the Posteffect-Plugin Jenpy is developing for fast AO based on Normal- and Depth-Buffer-Renderings.

See you

*Fuchur*

My suggestion would be to randomize the feathers somehow so they look less patterned. Different sizes, different overlaps...

I did it .... How about that?

great looking bird! Is it going to have wings?

yes .. a long yellow/blue wing :)

thanks for the compliments, friends.

To the city that appears in the first sequence I intend to use the choreography that I created a long time ago ( 2004 ) ... did you remember it ?

post-7-1088306425.jpg

post-7-1088287183.jpg

... did you remember it ?

yes I remember. Loved it then, as now. I do not remember it being as "washed, or blown out". I seem to remember deeper, lusher green leaves? If you use the bird rendered as you show in previous post, I would think that deeper green vegetation would be more consistent, harmonious. Depends on the look you're going for.

And yes, the suggestion for curvy or crooked streets is a very good one. The straight streets seem odd, but you may have a reason for this?

it might look even better if the streets weren´t completely straight, too...

great suggestion .... I will make some changes in the environment and this will be one of them

... did you remember it ?

The straight streets seem odd, but you may have a reason for this?

no reason ....it will be fixed

Today I was working on the bird trying to create some feathers ( using hair material ) ... A:M V16 crashed and now I can't open the model :( ... tomorrow I'll back to it

thanks for comments/sugestions

Today I was working on the bird trying to create some feathers ( using hair material ) ... A:M V16 crashed and now I can't open the model :( ... tomorrow I'll back to it

Blech. I have had that happen as well. See this post

I found that suddenly I would not be able to open a model, chor that had been working previously. I was also trying to do something with hair. I found that I would have to uninstall, then re-install ver 16, and then I could open the model or chor. It was happening too many times so I went back to 15j+. I don't know what the sequence of steps is to recreate the situation. But I suspect your model is still ok. I sure hope so.

I believe that arara is done ... I 'll use hair material to feathers ... now working on its rig that will be extremely simple. My focus in this first scene is the beating of wings

arara_pena_quad0.jpg

• 2 months later...

well.... finally I have my desktop again.. a powerful one :)

...so I'm back to the project.

I believe that the seq01/scene01 is done ...

fastAO from jenpy is rendering fine in 64bits now..

I'm impressed how fast it is. I got 6 sec/frame in this scene ( HD total 17min / 151 frames )

Check it in HD ( TDP2020 Youtube )

the cloudes were created in A:M and rendered separately then I used the image as rotoscope.

C&C are welcome ( if you can comment on youtube channel )

I like the style of the clouds, but I think I would prefer them to not be out of focus. It seems odd to me.

sweet... the clouds could use some more variation though, they look a bit too similar to me...

indeed ....

DIGGIN THE BIRDS!

I'd like to see you do a more 'stylish' cloud... I did a job recently for a lawncare company called LUSHLAWN and did some cool 'fun' unconventional clouds...

Nice clouds :) ... but I'll mantain this design for while .. thx John

I accelerated it a bit too

Is youtube confortable for you ??? Or do I attach the video in the post ?

• 5 months later...

I'll take this week to modeling the main character of the story. His name is Frank, an English citizen, graying, 40 years old, a tourist, who is in town to attend the maiden voyage of the Trem do Pantanal 2020.

frank_tdp.jpg

C&C are welcome ....